Poll: Better future - Devils or Sens

Better future

• Total voters

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Sorry my guy, I didn't know you felt this lazy to day.

Let me click those division buttons for you.
NORTH DIVISION
Calgary Flames
Discussions: 3,263Messages: 532,649

Edmonton Oilers
Discussions: 8,314Messages: 2,183,668

Montreal Canadiens
Discussions: 11,094Messages: 3,568,381

Ottawa Senators
Discussions: 7,239Messages: 1,563,248

Toronto Maple Leafs
Discussions: 16,204Messages: 4,191,437

Vancouver Canucks
Discussions: 5,784Messages: 1,853,863

Winnipeg Jets
Discussions: 7,447Messages: 1,624,394

EAST DIVISION

Boston Bruins
Discussions: 10,550Messages: 2,537,732

Buffalo Sabres
Discussions: 6,615Messages: 1,158,230

New Jersey Devils
Discussions: 2,911Messages: 1,477,658

New York Islanders
Discussions: 6,314Messages: 983,671

New York Rangers
Discussions: 7,116Messages: 2,416,436

Philadelphia Flyers
Discussions: 5,993Messages: 1,862,250

Pittsburgh Penguins
Discussions: 6,643Messages: 2,388,163

Washington Capitals
Discussions: 1,890Messages: 617,406
--------

+ the added fact that the East division fans aren't as fanatic with their opinion compared to Canada where every family & friend gathering has some hockey banter going on.

Yeah my Guy, The Devils were never going to win a this poll on HFboards.

Dude, this is one hilarious argument. You should make poll for NJD vs LAK future. You should easily win this poll using logic you used here.
Truth however is pretty straighforward. We are comparing here arguably best drafting organisation in NHL vs at best average one. And results reflect that.

Reactions: Xspyrit

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
Devils only because the Sens as the worst owner in the NHL which severly limits their ceiling.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Dude, this is one hilarious argument. You should make poll for NJD vs LAK future. You should easily win this poll using logic you used here.
Truth however is pretty straighforward. We are comparing here arguably best drafting organisation in NHL vs at best average one. And results reflect that.
Ottawa, the premiere drafting organization; so good Theyve won the Cup... er..

in the 20s

Lmfao Ottawa is not 'the best' at anything until theyve won something.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Ottawa, the premiere drafting organization; so good Theyve won the Cup... er..

in the 20s

Lmfao Ottawa is not 'the best' at anything until theyve won something.
just look back at their draft history, year in and out their not only able to select NHL players no matter the round, but quality ones at that.

Since the lockout, Ottawa has drafted 30 players who have went on to play 200+ games in the NHL.

Whereas the New Jersey Devils have only had 15.

Ottawa finds NHLers and have done so for a while.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
just look back at their draft history, year in and out their not only able to select NHL players no matter the round, but quality ones at that.

Since the lockout, Ottawa has drafted 30 players who have went on to play 200+ games in the NHL.

And The Devils have a sixth round, fourth round, and another fourth rounder playing top-9 minutes before they turned 24 currently.

'since the lockout', gee maybe the Devils were too busy winning Cups to be drafting high enough to assure good percentages so some online poster can compare almost twenty years of drafting like its relevant?

staffs change. This means nothing.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
And The Devils have a sixth round, fourth round, and another fourth rounder playing top-9 minutes before they turned 24 currently.

'since the lockout', gee maybe the Devils were too busy winning Cups to be drafting high enough to assure good percentages so some online poster can compare almost twenty years of drafting like its relevant?

I think you're forgetting just how good Ottawa was during the mid 2000's?

They still managed to get quality NHLers even if they selected in the late first.

Ottawa is the the best drafting team in the NHL, holding onto that talent is a different story however. Whereas the Devils selected Zacha at #6. Really goes to show how good they are at drafting.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
I think you're forgetting just how good Ottawa was during the mid 2000's?

They still managed to get quality NHLers even if they selected in the late first.

Ottawa is the the best drafting team in the NHL, holding onto that talent is a different story however. Whereas the Devils selected Zacha at #6. Really goes to show how good they are at drafting.
And the Senators drafted Daigle. Phillips at 1???? Spezza at 2??

Your points keep getting worse and worse..

keglu

Jul 11, 2014

Devils were busy winning Cups after last lockout?

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Devils were busy winning Cups after last lockout?
Prior to it, you know, when teams stay consistently good long enough to sell off most draft capital

not that the Senators have any idea what a prolonged period of success looks like

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
This draft where they likely score a phenomenal dman to go along with great forwards and a great young starter puts NJ over the top for me even if their 2 1oas are disappointing.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

You should have specified which lockout, because you know, the Devils were too busy wininng the Stanley Cup in 2003

One of the first thing Bryan Murray did when he took ever John Muckler in 2007 was to revamp the whole scouting department. Their real first draft that they prepared for was 2008 and ever since Ottawa has been stellar at the draft table

That they won a Cup or not has absolutely NOTHING to do with it. Everyone knows Ottawa has had an owner that ran his team under a strict budget for a while and once Murray became sick, Pierre Dorion (a guy who was probably not ready for the job at all) started managing this team. Dorion + Melnyk has been a devastating duo. Many other GMs would have been able to build a solid contender and probably win it all with Ottawa's drafting.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Coming at this argument from a position of saying that the Sens drafting & development isn't top tier is just completely the wrong way to go about it.

Quite frankly, the drafting and development is pretty much the only thing the Sens have going for it.. yet some people are choosing to attack the Sens from that angle for some reason? Very odd. Way more tangible things to ridicule the Sens for such as ownership.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
And the Senators drafted Daigle. Phillips at 1???? Spezza at 2??

Your points keep getting worse and worse..
Daigle is terrible, but notice how that was in 1993.

The Phillips draft was terrible, anytime you get a guy with almost 1200 games for your franchise, you're gonna be happy.

Dont see a problem with the Spezza selection at all? Hes the second best player in that draft class and Ottawa got him at 2? The guy who is better went at #1?

All these selections are pre lockout too, which shows how far you had to go back to find selections as bad as Zacha.

The fact you keep saying things like "Your points keep getting worse and worse.." proves you're arguing just to argue.

I really hope New Jersey's fan base isn't like you. And if they aren't you're making them look REAL bad.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Daigle is terrible, but notice how that was in 1993.

The Phillips draft was terrible, anytime you get a guy with almost 1200 games for your franchise, you're gonna be happy.

Dont see a problem with the Spezza selection at all? Hes the second best player in that draft class and Ottawa got him at 2? The guy who is better went at #1?

All these selections are pre lockout too, which shows how far you had to go back to find selections as bad as Zacha.

The fact you keep saying things like "Your points keep getting worse and worse.." proves you're arguing just to argue.

I really hope New Jersey's fan base isn't like you. And if they aren't you're making them look REAL bad.
Ohh I get it

you only include the drafting period that favors Ottawa, makes sense now

Lets exclude NJ's drafting of Danyeko, Niedermayer, Brodeur, Shanahan, etc.. You know, multiple hall of famers conveniently taken before your arbitrary cut off

The Devils actually have a storied history, so save me with the 'Ottawa is best' at anything related to hockey.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Ohh I get it

you only include the drafting period that favors Ottawa, makes sense now

Lets exclude NJ's drafting of Danyeko, Niedermayer, Brodeur, Shanahan, etc.. You know, multiple hall of famers conveniently taken before your arbitrary cut off

The Devils actually have a storied history, so save me with the 'Ottawa is best' at anything related to hockey.
My "arbitrary cutoff" is to show how the modern day Senators and Devils got to where they are. Most players pre 2005 lockout no longer in the league. That's why I used the lockout as my example.

Hell even if you wanted to go back to 1992 (Ottawa's first draft), Ottawa still has a more impressive resume overall.

Last edited:

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
teams that are often picking 30th/29th or not in the first two rounds tend to have less draft success, agreed.

Reactions: Goomba

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
For the guy saying Hughes isn’t a core player and is gonna be more of a second line support guy but thinks Tkachuk and Stutzle will be regarded as much better core players to build around.

https://twitter.com/jfreshhockey/status/1385313737209487363?s=21

https://twitter.com/hockeystatscz/status/1372659122303344643?s=21

I will say that Hughes’s plays a lot but his minutes are somewhat sheltered. He’s still been amazing. He also had much worse numbers last year I beleive.

More charts to complement the Brady one

E4H4hF9XwAAyqNi.jpg

https://twitter.com/jfreshhockey/status/1405678097379246081?s=21

E4H409mXoAEBhak.jpg

https://twitter.com/jfreshhockey/status/1405678610241970183?s=21

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes