Poll: Better future - Devils or Sens

Better future

• Total voters

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Sens.

The Sens are really lucky to have Dorion as GM. It's amazing how quickly he turned around a full-blown scorched earth rebuild with no draft pick higher than 3OA. On the other hand, the Devils and Sabres have been rebuilding for 10 years and had multiple 1OA picks to work with and are just now starting to come out of their rebuilds.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
To be fair, moving down when Stutzle was #3 may have been a boon.

I admire how New Jersey was able to construct their defensive corps. That and coaching, to me, is the most substantial difference.
Yeah but the poll is future. Not only is NJ a much better team now but they also have a way brighter future. They're going to have the best d core in the league.

Sens.

The Sens are really lucky to have Dorion as GM. It's amazing how quickly he turned around a full-blown scorched earth rebuild with no draft pick higher than 3OA. On the other hand, the Devils and Sabres have been rebuilding for 10 years and had multiple 1OA picks to work with and are just now starting to come out of their rebuilds.
Hahahaha. He's a gonner. What are you ever going to do when the inevitable happens and the fraud is fired. Last piece left to go before we can finally move on from Melnyk and his lackies.

Last edited by a moderator:

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Sens.

Ehhh, not so sure. If he's as amazing as you say he is, he shouldn't have any problems landing a GM role elsewhere, right? I could be wrong, but I don't see it.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The firm arrival of Jack Hughes has really turned the tide for me on this. I originally voted Ottawa, but with the things New Jersey are showing this year, i'd switch my vote to them right now.

It feels like they've really fixed their blueline - although they have some decisions coming up with that, but a terrific young player in Luke Hughes arriving soon, as well as Nemec in the system. I could actually see them taking a slight, half-step back next year as they rejig some things...but ultimately probably ratchets up their future upside as a group.

What they do in terms of trying to add to their forward core is going to have a significant impact on their perceived future trajectory as well. Are they going to go big with someone like Meier as speculated? Small with someone cheap? Somewhere in between? What are they going to have to give up in terms of "futures" to make it happen?

I'm also not really sold on their future in net with Vanacek. He's been tremendous is stabilizing the achilles heel of that Devils team with reliable goaltending. But i'm not sure how much i trust him to be "the answer" for the longer-term future. I was skeptical he'd bring the stability they need this year though, so he's already proven me wrong once.

The Senators have shown this year that, key injury to Norris aside...the rest of their "core" isn't quite there yet. Haven't taken the expected step. They've got a lot of bright spots, but a lot of challenges still ahead of them. Just expecting Norris to come back and make that kind of difference, doesn't seem realistic. They also have some real decisions to make...or potentially some situations that could be out of their control where the decision will kind of be made for them.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The firm arrival of Jack Hughes has really turned the tide for me on this. I originally voted Ottawa, but with the things New Jersey are showing this year, i'd switch my vote to them right now.
Not sure if you're aware of this, but the Sens have this guy called Tim Stutzle, who is a year younger than Hughes.

He has outperformed Hughes' equivalent draft + n season in every season he has played so far in his career.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Not sure if you're aware of this, but the Sens have this guy called Tim Stutzle, who is a year younger than Hughes.

He has outperformed Hughes' equivalent draft + n season in every season he has played so far in his career.
Stutzle’s current season is not equivalent to Hughes last season and you’d be hard pressed to project the jump Hughes made this season for Stutzle next.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Stutzle’s current season is not equivalent to Hughes last season and you’d be hard pressed to project the jump Hughes made this season for Stutzle next.
That's funny. You said the same thing last season, yet here we are... Stutzle has 1.07PPG so far this season. Hughes had 1.14PPG last season.

On top of that, Stutzle is a 2-way force this season, averaging over a minute of PK time per game, has 73 hits and leads the team in takeaways. That more than makes up the 0.07PPG difference, especially when you consider that Stutzle has 4 times more PK minutes in half a season than Hughes does in his entire career, and almost twice as many hits.

Plus, Hughes is out with a long term injury, again.

Reactions: Sens9292

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
That's funny. You said the same thing last season, yet here we are... Stutzle has 1.07PPG so far this season. Hughes had 1.14PPG last season.

On top of that, Stutzle is a 2-way force this season, averaging over a minute of PK time per game, has 73 hits and leads the team in takeaways. That more than makes up the 0.07PPG difference, especially when you consider that Stutzle has 4 times more PK minutes in half a season than Hughes does in his entire career, and almost twice as many hits.

My elementary school math says 1.07 is a smaller number than 1.14. Yes, I remember asking you repeatedly last season if you would guarantee hitting Hughes 1.14ppg pace last season and you kept backpedaling.

Hits… :laugh:

This isn’t a long-term injury by a long shot. He’s missed one game and likely doesn’t miss more than a week or two based on what the team has said. Stutzle has missed more games this season than Hughes LOL.

You guys can keep kicking the can down the road, I guarantee Stutzle won’t be putting up a 50 goal, 1.34ppg pace next season either.

Wouldn’t touch Hughes and his injuries with a twenty foot pole
It’s not like he’s Josh Norris. He’s had his one semi-serious injury in his four years in the league.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
My elementary school math says 1.07 is a smaller number than 1.14. Yes, I remember asking you repeatedly last season if you would guarantee hitting Hughes 1.14ppg pace last season and you kept backpedaling.
I never backpedaled anything. I very specifically predicted over PPG and more games than Hughes, which you appear to have balked at.

I'll gladly take a 2-way player with 1.07PPG over a one dimensional 1.14PPG player who can't stay healthy.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Hughes is 2nd in WAR, 2nd in xGAR, 2nd in GSVA, 1st in GAR. There's levels to this and Stutzle is not on that level and he likely never will be. Hughes has legitimately been the 2nd best player in the league this year. It really isn't close.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Hughes is 2nd in WAR, 2nd in xGAR, 2nd in GSVA, 1st in GAR. There's levels to this and Stutzle is not on that level and he likely never will be. Hughes has legitimately been the 2nd best player in the league this year. It really isn't close.
Yes. These "levels" are called age and/or number of years in the league.

Stutzle is a year behind Hughes. Offensively speaking, Stutzle this season is on par with Hughes last season. Defensively, he's better.

• Haha
Reactions: Wierzbowski426

CornerStone61

Apr 13, 2015
Big time homer take. I think most rational people would agree that Hughes has taken a big step this year and has undoubtedly been better than Stutzle, but posting stuff like this is delusional homerism.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Big time homer take. I think most rational people would agree that Hughes has taken a big step this year and has undoubtedly been better than Stutzle, but posting stuff like this is delusional homerism.
Stats don’t lie bruv.

Wouldn’t touch Hughes and his injuries with a twenty foot pole
What a doodoo kaka take. I bet you were wary of Sid’s concussion issues too.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Yeah. I like Stutzle, and i previously had reservations about Jack Hughes. But you cannot deny that he's taken a huge step this year. It's honestly something he started building toward last year, but he's taken it to another level this season.

With Hughes, the talent was always astronomical. His skating and ability to make crazy plays at high speed is rare. The question has been in how he'd be able to translate that to the NHL. He struggled early in his NHL career, in trying to adjust his game and his natural talent to a more physical, more defensively robust league. But i think at this point, he's established that he's "broken through" and found what he needs to do to make good on his ability at the NHL level.

Then you start getting into the comparison of other pieces, and the Devils just come out ahead for me. But it's really Hughes finding his stride as an elite NHLer that makes the difference for me.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Yeah. I like Stutzle, and i previously had reservations about Jack Hughes. But you cannot deny that he's taken a huge step this year. It's honestly something he started building toward last year, but he's taken it to another level this season.

With Hughes, the talent was always astronomical. His skating and ability to make crazy plays at high speed is rare. The question has been in how he'd be able to translate that to the NHL. He struggled early in his NHL career, in trying to adjust his game and his natural talent to a more physical, more defensively robust league. But i think at this point, he's established that he's "broken through" and found what he needs to do to make good on his ability at the NHL level.

Then you start getting into the comparison of other pieces, and the Devils just come out ahead for me. But it's really Hughes finding his stride as an elite NHLer that makes the difference for me.

Hughes taking a huge step in his fourth season and Stutzle being better in their respective third seasons aren’t mutually exclusive.

We’ll see if Stutzle takes that step next season. It’s certainly looking like a tall order at this point.

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
the team thats already significantly (over 20+ points) better…and is also younger…and also has a better prospect pool

and also hughes is vastly superior to stutzle

maybe the sens can win the offseason championship again or something

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hughes taking a huge step in his fourth season and Stutzle being better in their respective third seasons aren’t mutually exclusive.

We’ll see if Stutzle takes that step next season. It’s certainly looking like a tall order at this point.

It's certainly not outside the realm of possibility. Again, i really like Stutzle and he's shown a really sharp upward trajectory since entering the league.

But even if he matches Hughes...they're still lagging behind in other areas. Norris could become the sort of top flight 2-way force Hischier is establishing himself to be. But will he? It's possible. Is it probable? It's not like Hischier is an old man either. He's young and proving himself in a way the Sens counterpoint has not.

The defence, wings, goaltending are trickier to sort out. But it's where i feel like Hughes ascension to the elite of the league, kinda seals the vote move to the Devils for me. It's just such a big factor.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

Ya because developmemt is linear .So Stutzle will be about a 120 point player next year….and continue to develop until he is a 300 point player in 4 years.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
This is New Jersey by a landslide. They are significantly better this season then Ottawa, and they still have mercer, holtz, Hughes and nemec….New Jersey will be a power house in the next few years

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Yes. These "levels" are called age and/or number of years in the league.

Stutzle is a year behind Hughes. Offensively speaking, Stutzle this season is on par with Hughes last season. Defensively, he's better.
So every player that has had comparable seasons to Hughes last season means they will follow with the same level or breaking out as Hughes this year… what a take..
Or how about maybe Stutzle is closer to his ceiling that Sens fans think he will get to.
I know Stutzle is a very good young player but I can’t see him ever out producing Hughes consistently.
Also , Jack plays with Haula and players like Zetterlund . No exactly the same level of Stutzles line mates and Jack takes over games single handedly with shit wingers. I have not seen Stutzle do that on a consistent basis. Maybe he eventually will?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Ya because developmemt is linear .So Stutzle will be about a 120 point player next year….and continue to develop until he is a 300 point player in 4 years.
Isn't that what Devils fans are claiming Hughes will do?

Sens9292

Oct 5, 2019
the team thats already significantly (over 20+ points) better…and is also younger…and also has a better prospect pool

and also hughes is vastly superior to stutzle

maybe the sens can win the offseason championship again or something
So every player that has had comparable seasons to Hughes last season means they will follow with the same level or breaking out as Hughes this year… what a take..
Or how about maybe Stutzle is closer to his ceiling that Sens fans think he will get to.
I know Stutzle is a very good young player but I can’t see him ever out producing Hughes consistently.
Also , Jack plays with Haula and players like Zetterlund . No exactly the same level of Stutzles line mates and Jack takes over games single handedly with shit wingers. I have not seen Stutzle do that on a consistent basis. Maybe he eventually will?
Devils are 3rd overall in the league and you claim he’s playing with bad wingers. I highly doubt it but keep boosting Hughes

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00