Poll: Better future - Devils or Sens

Better future

• Total voters

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
ottawa strikes me as a team thats good on paper. they should be better than what they are. obviously the need to do something with the d and goaltending.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Devils are 3rd overall in the league and you claim he’s playing with bad wingers. I highly doubt it but keep boosting Hughes
Doubt it all you like, it’s the reality. He plays with Haula and any one of Sharangovich, Mercer, and Zetterlund. Mercer has potential and Sharangovich has shown an ability to score goals, but those are all middle six players right now. He played with Bratt early in the season, but he’s been stapled to Hischier.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
If Ottawa figures it out I like their team make up a lot better.

New Jersey have a very talented but soft group, I doubt they’ll last a 7 game series.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
New Jersey is better now.

New Jersey has better top end talent.

New Jersey has franchise(!!) players coming through the pipeline.

It’s not close at this point.

Nemec and Hughes joining that blue line on entry level contracts are going to push them over the top.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Devils are 3rd overall in the league and you claim he’s playing with bad wingers. I highly doubt it but keep boosting Hughes
His most common linemate by far is Erik haula.

After that it's a split between bratt (mostly earlier in the season) and mercer (more recently). Those guys are obviously good (bratt) and solid (mercer) players on his wing.

But the haula match could have been much improved.

So there is some room to grow, but it's not awful or anything

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
His most common linemate by far is Erik haula.

After that it's a split between bratt (mostly earlier in the season) and mercer (more recently). Those guys are obviously good (bratt) and solid (mercer) players on his wing.

But the haula match could have been much improved.

So there is some room to grow, but it's not awful or anything
With zero context in how Haula helps Hughes sure. Haula takes most of the center responsibilities and has been a great fit with him. Allows Hughes to play a more risky offensive game.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
With zero context in how Haula helps Hughes sure. Haula takes most of the center responsibilities and has been a great fit with him. Allows Hughes to play a more risky offensive game.

The defensive performance is actually worse or pretty even with Haula on the ice, I think (i'll have to see if I can find it, but I'm reasonably sure that someone posted the numbers when we hit peak "get haula of Jack's line" frustration). I'm not sure how anyone would define what jack does as being risky in terms of offensive style. It's not like he's cherry picking. Unless you think that carrying the puck as opposed to dumping it to set up is inherently more risky at a substantial level. I could see that, but there's also a reason that puck transporters are considered valuable.

Haula does take / win faceoffs though. Jack still plays defensively at center. But at the same time, Haula has zero goals assisted by Jack and he's certainly not creating Jack's scoring opportunities. He's not adding that much defensively to make that a wash.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ

New Jersey have a very talented but soft group, I doubt they’ll last a 7 game series.
Yea give me 5 Ryan Reaves over 5 Jack Hughes any day of the week. Grit and physicality ftw!!

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

a Canucks fan would know about soft.

I doubt any Devils player would just let themselves get punched in the face repeatedly and not fight back though.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
i love this game.

devils are 3rd overall in the league. the ottawa senators are 24th in the league. and sens fan claim here stutzle is on par with hughes.

isn't it time to make a second revival of 'the vancouver canucks have quitely (one of) the deepest forward group in the nhl'?

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Devils. Hughes, Hughes, Nemec. Better D, better goaltending, better centers both right now and in the future. I like a lot of the Sens players though, and they're not far off. A good trade deadline/offseason could swing things.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It was the Sens 2 years ago but can’t overcome incompetence… DJ Dorion made way too mistakes that have hurt the whole overall product

Depending on what happens with the team sale and if they can finally hire competent people (even if not as “cool”) then it might become an interesting conversation again

But as of now, it’s the Devils not close. Ottawa has been treading water, even regress based on the last 2 drafts and some of the moronic decisions made (not sign Paul but trade him for Joseph, then Brown wanted out, Gustavsson for Talbot, Boucher pick, Duclair walked as a RFA, etc, etc). NJ pulled away since 2020

Sorry Sens fans, no argument to be made anymore. Sens were in an incredible position a few years ago just after the 2020 draft. All we can do is wait and hope to be delivered from the Dorion era

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
EHH ,we really arent that far off ...Lots of great young pieces maybe a year early??
Pretty far off. The Devils have a top 5 1C, and a top 5 Selke 2c, that would be your 1C. They have two prospect Ds that would be your actual best D man right now, Bratt that compares favorably to Debrincat (As in, hes better.), Mercer that compares to Tkachuk, Sharangovich, Siegenthaler that is similar to Sanderson, Marino that would be your best D, a young starting goaltender (compared to none for you guys, lol.) Plus they have great pieces from the draft such as Mukhamadulin, Daws, Casey, Stillman, Okhotyuk, Mysiul, Clarke and Gritsyuk.

What do you have Tyler Boucher and Filip Nordberg ? Lmao

• Haha
Reactions: NyQuil

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Pretty far off. The Devils have a top 5 1C, and a top 5 Selke 2c, that would be your 1C. They have two prospect Ds that would be your actual best D man right now, Bratt that compares favorably to Debrincat (As in, hes better.), Mercer that compares to Tkachuk, Sharangovich, Siegenthaler that is similar to Sanderson, Marino that would be your best D, a young starting goaltender (compared to none for you guys, lol.) Plus they have great pieces from the draft such as Mukhamadulin, Daws, Casey, Stillman, Okhotyuk, Mysiul, Clarke and Gritsyuk.

What do you have Tyler Boucher and Filip Nordberg ? Lmao

This is wildly incoherent and feels like half of it got deleted. Just checking, did you say Mercer compares to Tkachuk, not looking for a debate just clarification.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
This is wildly incoherent and feels like half of it got deleted. Just checking, did you say Mercer compares to Tkachuk, not looking for a debate just clarification.
Yes he does, and your fellow fans clearly agree, as the whole premise of this thread is that players improve year by year and the older player is always sure to not improve.

Mercer at 20:
42 points
Brady at 20:
44 points
Mercer at 21:
29/52
Tkachuk at 21:
36/56

Tkachuk is the worst defensive player in the league, Mercer is already very good defensively. Thats where its at. I did note that he "compares" and didn't want to say he's better.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Plus, Hughes is out with a long term injury, again.

He's missed 2 games so far and he's traveling with the team on its current 4 game road trip and was on the ice this morning with the team doing drills. So his "long term injury" is looking like it might be 4 or 5 games.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

The only “good” thing about Haula with Hughes was Haula taking faceoffs. That’s literally it. Haula is an absolute black hole offensively…he’s spent a majority of the season on a line with Hughes and is pacing for a total of 6 goals and 34 points and shooting at a very impressive 4.0%. He’s not bad defensively, but also not notably good either. You’re really overselling Haula’s impact on Hughes here.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yes he does, and your fellow fans clearly agree, as the whole premise of this thread is that players improve year by year and the older player is always sure to not improve.

Um what?

Given that’s your take away, it seems to be you lack context. Again, I’m not going to entertain Mercer comparing to Tkachuk but in two years from now when mercer is PPG, please quote me.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

Mercer at 20:
42 points
Brady at 20:
44 points
Mercer at 21:
29/52
Tkachuk at 21:
36/56

Tkachuk is the worst defensive player in the league, Mercer is already very good defensively. Thats where its at. I did note that he "compares" and didn't want to say he's better.
This tracks vis a vis the Hughes/Stutzle comparison logic.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This tracks vis a vis the Hughes/Stutzle comparison logic.

Except two years ago, nobody said Dawson Mercer wasn’t going to reach the level Brady Tkachuk was at then. Literally a year ago we had Devils fans saying well let me know when Stutzle has 1.10PPG, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see yourself as one of those people.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Except two years ago, nobody said Dawson Mercer wasn’t going to reach the level Brady Tkachuk was at then. Literally a year ago we had Devils fans saying well let me know when Stutzle has 1.10PPG, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see yourself as one of those people.
The comparison is between him and Hughes, not Stutzle and himself, and Sens fans keep pointing to age-relevant seasons to compare. So never mind that 1.10 isn’t 1.14, the baseline now is Hughes’ 1.34ppg this season. So now we can kick the can to next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad