Playoffs of Laine/Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Nope, I ignore those who aren't interested in having a conversation and just want to take shots at the Leafs. People can disagree if they want to give reasons, but I've had enough of the bashing so I just ignore those who I know find their way into every Leaf thread to take a pot shot.
You spend alot of time taking shots at the oilers and such, but now that it happens to you it's too much for you to handle?

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Matthews is very soft. Nothing wrong with being outplayed by Boston's top line but being outscored 20 goals to 0 isn't even close. Amazing Toronto fans always say he is amazing defensively however this has been proven false on the biggest stage.

Matthews is only -2 through 2 games buddy. Boston’s powerplay is why that top line has that much production. He’s been fine defensively, that line will always get good chances. What he needs is a coach who has a clue how to stack lines and stack the PP.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
As we saw in tonights game, Laine has a hard time against prime opposition playing on their home turf. I don't see him doing any better against the better teams like the Preds so it will be a hard road for him should the Jets make it through the first test.
He scored more points tonight than Matthews has in the entire post season.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Matthews is only -2 through 2 games buddy. Boston’s powerplay is why that top line has that much production. He’s been fine defensively, that line will always get good chances. What he needs is a coach who has a clue how to stack lines and stack the PP.
Funny how all season Leaf fans keep talking about Matthews 5 on 5 is so important and that Laine's power play points won't help in the playoffs. Now you claim Leafs are losing because of the power play.
I guess you need to pay more than 8 million a year if you want a decent coach.

Reactions: Snowman

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Laine is a front runner. He pretty much only plays good when his team is controlling the play. Tonight the Wild shut the Jets down and surprise surprise, Laine was completely absent from the game. I see Matthews outdoing him if the Leafs can turn over their slump, so far the whole team has been bad but I expect things to turn in the next game.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Funny how all season Leaf fans keep talking about Matthews 5 on 5 is so important and that Laine's power play points won't help in the playoffs. Now you claim Leafs are losing because of the power play.
I guess you need to pay more than 8 million a year if you want a decent coach.

Im not talking about Laine at all do you have reading issues? Mike Babcock has been bounced in the 1st round 4 straight times. He’s a good regular season coach but hasn’t won shit in 10 years or without team Canada. His ego with line matching and not stacking lines is why he’s a dinosaur.

Reactions: viper0220

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Laine is a front runner. He pretty much only plays good when his team is controlling the play. Tonight the Wild shut the Jets down and surprise surprise, Laine was completely absent from the game. I see Matthews outdoing him if the Leafs can turn over their slump, so far the whole team has been bad but I expect things to turn in the next game.
Fine (if you want to use a small sample size) considering the Jets finished 2nd in the NHL in points they play most of the season as front runners which I guess means he plays well most of the time. Let's compare this to Matthews who has performed dreadfully in every playoff game. He has been completely invisible.
I'll take the guy who performs well most of the time over the one who has let down his team all post season. Matthews is built like Tarzan and plays like Jane not great for the playoffs.

Reactions: Snowman and MVPGoon

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Im not talking about Laine at all do you have reading issues? Mike Babcock has been bounced in the 1st round 4 straight times. He’s a good regular season coach but hasn’t won **** in 10 years or without team Canada. His ego with line matching and not stacking lines is why he’s a dinosaur.

I was in awe last season when he managed to get the Leafs in to the PO's and I think you guys did fine against Caps. But there's no excuse for this season PO lines. I don't think he's a bad coach but he has been out-coached this series. His love for Komarov is something out of this world.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Will these playoffs change the unanimous belief held by everybody outside of Jets fans that Matthews is better than Laine if these two players continue on their trajectories?

To me, and im sure everybody else, Matthews has been invisible and the Jets are scorching hot with Laine leading the charge. In this up and down fluctuation of determining who is the better player, has Laine surpassed Matthews for the time being?

ROFL

Pinning your hopes and dreams on 2 games is desperate at best.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
So Laine is only good when his team is doing well, but you think Matthews will do better once the Leafs turn it around? Do you see any sort of contradiction in this thinking?

Reactions: Snowman

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
It's simple math!
fOHevfYQxYTrrATCcvI11In94mMaGp3tDpfaiOdVjikdRo_VO8o6BtxfkXTjSMZKKA=w300

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Laine got a point from the game and has now scored at least one in all of his career playoff games. Yet he is of the sudden falling off the cliff? If that's his bad day, hey I take it no problem. Would be worse if he couldn't get on the score board at all! :D

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
I think Hyman will have a great game today, possibly be switched back to his prefered position as C. Other than Laine having a slightly better shot, I think the two skills sets are almost interchangeable at this point. Solid post, looking forward to more.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Will be interesting to see how Matthews will fair under more favorable match ups with last change. We saw Laine/Jets as a whole struggle there. Laine got to flourish at home. Matthews now gets his turn.

I will say though that even if Matthew flops, momentum can be a big factor. Going back home after two drubbings on the road might take the wind out of your sails too.

Fastfrde

Oct 11, 2017
Winterpeg
And the never-ending debate goes on... Refreshing like a shower of spring rain.
I will never understand the need for this debate either, two great players that fit organizational needs on both sides perfectly. How lucky are both these organizations to have been gifted such great players!

Yet the fans gotta hate!

Reactions: Jets88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad