Playoffs of Laine/Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I’m not interested in the laine Matthews measuring.

I just like to point out when leafs fans prop up the Washington Capitals and success against them when they were part of piling on them as a playoff joke until that was their matchup.

You are in a Laine vs. Matthews thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Player A is going up Eric Staal as their number 1C and without Suter
Player B is going up against Bergeron and Chara.

I wonder whose more likely to have success......

When player A goes up against a good team in Nashville in the next round, we shall see how it goes.

Actually Scheifs line matched up against Staal at home. Laine/Stats line played primarily against Koivu's line I believe. Can't remember now, someone had a graphic. But I know Scheif was up against Staal's line at home.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
You know what's nice about renouncing the bullshit HFboards driven hate for Laine and the Jets?

I can finally look on these threads as the stupid waste of time that they are, and just enjoy both players development. Both are top 5 players in the 20 and under age group, and both are absolutely electric to watch. I've never had more fun watching hockey since I started enjoying the Jets again. Both them and the Leafs are very fun teams.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Not sure why you are bringing up a game from December but the Lowry line was a -1 in that game.

It was also in Boston, so the Bergeron line was playing against the Scheifele line if I recall correctly.

it wasn't w comparison to Lowry tho
just the fact that they didn't get anything done in that game either

that's why I brought up that lowry line is supposed to be a 4th line

I'll please ignorance and didn't read the whole convo you had with the o the poster. I'm just saying. I don't really like all the excuses always made around here for why the jets play well or did better

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Matthews gets owned by Bergeron at home 2 games in a row and Laine faces a much easier opponent = Laine is better. People will believe what they want so no point in arguing with those on here.. I am filling up my ignore list nicely though.

Wait so you just ignore everyone who disagrees with you?

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
it wasn't w comparison to Lowry tho
just the fact that they didn't get anything done in that game either

that's why I brought up that lowry line is supposed to be a 4th line

I'll please ignorance and didn't read the whole convo you had with the o the poster. I'm just saying. I don't really like all the excuses always made around here for why the jets play well or did better

I was more arguing his one particular point about that match-up, not trying to comment on the Jets as a whole.

The roster constitutions on that team is great. Four strong lines built with a nice blend of skill, speed and physicality. Big, physical defenceman lead by guys like Byfuglien and some underrated guys like Morrissey. A great young goaltender who has looked pretty good so far through two games.

A lot to like about that team and look like they are built for the playoffs and have earned everything they have accomplished.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Wait so you just ignore everyone who disagrees with you?

Nope, I ignore those who aren't interested in having a conversation and just want to take shots at the Leafs. People can disagree if they want to give reasons, but I've had enough of the bashing so I just ignore those who I know find their way into every Leaf thread to take a pot shot.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I was more arguing his one particular point about that match-up, not trying to comment on the Jets as a whole.

The roster constitutions on that team is great. Four strong lines built with a nice blend of skill, speed and physicality. Big, physical defenceman lead by guys like Byfuglien and some underrated guys like Morrissey. A great young goaltender who has looked pretty good so far through two games.

A lot to like about that team and look like they are built for the playoffs and have earned everything they have accomplished.

posts like these are needed more in the hf boards

no need to bash one each other. not like i was bashing boston in anyway. respect

hope the Bruins sweep the leafs

Reactions: DrJustice

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
"no need to bash on each other."

"hope the Bruins sweep the leafs"

I am getting mixed messages here!

Boston sweeping the leafs is bashing them? sorry but one team has got to lose
leafs fans need a reality check. that is all
"worry about winning a game" has been said by leafs to jets posters all season
so the irony would be kind of funny(sorry)

past few posts I've actually felt like I've defended them more than anything

leafs got a promising young team, but everyone seems to get ahead of themselves

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
fantastic aged shots.

Laine late thirties, with the smile after winning his 10th rocket trophy....

and auston.

funeral director of the year. for the 10th time
Laine will look more like this

edc583c07d199ba116b40b3412d9f16b.jpg

Reactions: behemolari

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Boston sweeping the leafs is bashing them? sorry but one team has got to lose
leafs fans need a reality check. that is all
"worry about winning a game" has been said by leafs to jets posters all season
so the irony would be kind of funny(sorry)

past few posts I've actually felt like I've defended them more than anything

leafs got a promising young team, but everyone seems to get ahead of themselves

You talk about how everyone needs to calm down, but you instigate like you're Brad Marchand posting here...

No one is ahead of themselves, IMO. The team finished 7th overall and just happened to get seeded against the 3rd best team in the NHL. Bad draw, and the Bruins have feasted on poor goaltending. I don't think the play has been as lopsided as the scores show.

Personally, I am just hoping the series improves quality wise at this point. It's been pretty lackluster. Pasta had some pretty goals but they were just piling on. I want some drama, some big dramatic goals, and no injuries.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Did you watch him play? Matthews scored 3p in 4 games in the NLA playoffs, that's not too bad. It's also pretty weird to base anything as a "problem" for what he did or did not do in his draft season as a teenager, especially considering the sample size. Laine scored only 1 goal in the first series of the FEL playoffs (I think it was against Ilves).

You're over-emphasising the supposed "problem". It's an issue if a franchise player has yet to perform in big games.. but I stated clearly that he's only 20 and has a lot of time to figure it out. Psychology is a huge aspect in sports and even bigger in big games and it's not like he won't be more composed with age.

You want to narrow it down to just the first round of the NLA/Liiga playoffs and ignore the WJC, WHC, these playoffs and this:

it's a 3 year sample size of various different settings.

You're right 3 points in 4 games isn't bad and he's not to blame for a team loss. NLA is nevertheless easier to score in with less competition with the bottom teams being worse and the depth being a lot weaker than in Liiga. Despite that even the top NLA teams are almost never on par with the SHL and Liiga teams in Champions Hockey League.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
sample sizes are so small now that we can't really say anything with much certainty, but Laine has certainly played much better than matthews these playoffs

Reactions: Snowman

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
As we saw in tonights game, Laine has a hard time against prime opposition playing on their home turf. I don't see him doing any better against the better teams like the Preds so it will be a hard road for him should the Jets make it through the first test.

Reactions: googleIsMyFriend

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
1 shot in 18 minutes tonight...can we now dispell the myth that all young players don’t struggle in the playoffs when games don’t go well.

With 6 minutes of PP time to boot. Wasn't able to watch the game but one would expect him to have more shots on the net with that PP time. Not sure what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad