Playoffs of Laine/Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If you don't faun over McDavid and say he is the Greatest player ever some of them feel like you are attacking the Oilers and their fans on a deep personal level.

Well what do you expect? Edmonton doesn't look like they will be making the playoffs for a while even with McDavid with the blunders they have made over the years. What else do the Oilers have to boast about besides McDavid? I'd do the same.

I hope McDavid wins all the Art Ross trophies he possibly can, he's an incredible talent. I'll just be glad with the fact that Matthews doesn't know and won't know for a long time what it's like to miss the playoffs.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
What am i missing? Did Matthews not beat Laine in PPG this year?

I mean the stretch where Laine was red hot for 20 games and Matthews was injured how many threads were created about these two? Maybe take a look in the mirror :laugh:

I'm sorry 3 games isn't going to change my opinion, especially considering the difference of quality of teams these guys are facing. Matthews and Laine are close, but give me the big C who's better defensively and seems to be better at putting up points. Only thing Laine has on Matthews is goal scoring and that isn't by much either. Both amazing players though.
Did foster not have a better gaa than rinne? Foster for vezina if he played for the leafs.

Reactions: Snowman

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Well what do you expect? Edmonton doesn't look like they will be making the playoffs for a while even with McDavid with the blunders they have made over the years. What else do the Oilers have to boast about besides McDavid? I'd do the same.

I hope McDavid wins all the Art Ross trophies he possibly can, he's an incredible talent. I'll just be glad with the fact that Matthews doesn't know and won't know for a long time what it's like to miss the playoffs.
Didn't mcdavid make it further into the playoffs last year than the leafs have in the last 50 years? Making it to the playoffs and not crapping the bed are two different things. Some players raise their game...some fold. We know which one mcdavid is.

Reactions: Snowman

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Correct me if I am wrong but Matthews scored 40 goals in that season, won the rookie of the year in an absolute landslide and took his team to the playoffs and scored 4 goals in 6 games as a rookie while being double teamed for most of the series.

Nah man, a single shift in their rookie seasons will forever dictate who is the better player.

Reactions: pawn

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think it's tough to say. Laine isn't the primary offensive weapon on his team. Other teams must worry about the Scheifele line first, and Laine's line second. Matthews draws the full focus of his opposition. And you also have to take their respective opponents into consideration as well.

All in all, I think you have to put things in perspective. There is no reason why just this round of the playoffs should have a big impact on your assessment of each player.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Laine is such a stud. Draws so many players to him. It’s almost comical the impact he has on the game away from the puck. His line mates are always getting wide open because teams are cheating on Laine and trying to take away his shot - creates space for the others.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
If I picked the right numbers, I'd win the lottery...

What? :laugh:

You said if Matthews played "better", Leafs would have finished like the Jets and played a weaker opponent. Well, the Jets finished 2nd in their division.

If the Leafs finished 2nd, they would still play Boston since TB won the division.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Didn't mcdavid make it further into the playoffs last year than the leafs have in the last 50 years? Making it to the playoffs and not crapping the bed are two different things. Some players raise their game...some fold. We know which one mcdavid is.
What? No
And McDavid had a completely unspectacular playoff run so I guess you're insulting him?

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
You're right. Hopefully Laine get's paid more. Nothing would make me happier than an 11M X 8 year extension for Laine.

Unless you’re his agent, I’m truly saddened by reading this. Hope things get better. May your future be happier than your present, where some stranger’s salary could bring you more joy than anything else in your life. Best wishes.

Reactions: D Wakaluk

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
What am i missing? Did Matthews not beat Laine in PPG this year?

I mean the stretch where Laine was red hot for 20 games and Matthews was injured how many threads were created about these two? Maybe take a look in the mirror :laugh:

I'm sorry 3 games isn't going to change my opinion, especially considering the difference of quality of teams these guys are facing. Matthews and Laine are close, but give me the big C who's better defensively and seems to be better at putting up points. Only thing Laine has on Matthews is goal scoring and that isn't by much either. Both amazing players though.

Perhaps you just missed the previous post? :D I doubt many hockey fans outside Toronto would expect Matthews to hit PPG on a regular season while averaging 16+ minutes a game either.

Am I somehow responsible for the <x> amount of topics created about Laine and Matthews? Geez, so sorry, didn't know! In fact can you point out how many threads about these two have I even created all together the past year? Would zero be the correct number? What does your mirror tell you?

Well I don't think even 300 games would change your opinion. There's always a fresh excuse out of the gates everytime when you man isn't performing. Nevertheless, we are not talking about regular season today but playoffs. One has 4 points in 4 games where the other has 1 point in 3 games? Oh sorry I forgot, but the competition. This makes a great slogan for all the losing teams "but we faced superior competition so..." How strange that I don't see other team's fans complaining for playoffs being tough. :D Perhaps it's got something to do with pride, who knows.

Also the defensive narrative is getting a bit stretched. Matthews has been described as a soft playoff performer so far. Meanwhile nearly each time Laine makes a hit on a player you can hear it even if you don't see it. All the while he's been playing absolutely stellar two-way game. Lets not forget that these are Laine's first NHL playoffs either and should we put that aside and look past even further, howabout the Matthews exiting after round one in NLA playoffs while Laine leading his team to the cup?

Now lets pray Bergeron goes easy on Matthews the next game so he can maybe get another point in the series so we can continue on this interesting topic!

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

HoBOonFiRE

Nov 8, 2009
Oshawa
Perhaps you just missed the previous post? :D I doubt many hockey fans outside Toronto would expect Matthews to hit PPG on a regular season while averaging 16+ minutes a game either.

Am I somehow responsible for the <x> amount of topics created about Laine and Matthews? Geez, so sorry, didn't know! In fact can you point out how many threads about these two have I even created all together the past year? Would zero be the correct number? What does your mirror tell you?

Well I don't think even 300 games would change your opinion. There's always a fresh excuse out of the gates everytime when you man isn't performing. Nevertheless, we are not talking about regular season today but playoffs. One has 4 points in 4 games where the other has 1 point in 3 games? Oh sorry I forgot, but the competition. This makes a great slogan for all the losing teams "but we faced superior competition so..." How strange that I don't see other team's fans complaining for playoffs being tough. :D Perhaps it's got something to do with pride, who knows.

Also the defensive narrative is getting a bit stretched. Matthews has been described as a soft playoff performer so far. Meanwhile nearly each time Laine makes a hit on a player you can hear it even if you don't see it. All the while he's been playing absolutely stellar two-way game. Lets not forget that these are Laine's first NHL playoffs either and should we put that aside and look past even further, howabout the Matthews exiting after round one in NLA playoffs while Laine leading his team to the cup?

Now lets pray Bergeron goes easy on Matthews the next game so he can maybe get another point in the series so we can continue on this interesting topic!
This reeks of insecurity. Cringeworthy.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

Am I somehow responsible for the amount of topics created about Laine and Matthews? Geez, so sorry, didn't know! In fact can you point out how many threads about these two have I even created all together the past year? Would zero be the correct number? What does your mirror tell you?

So when does Mitch Marner, with his 69 regular season points and 4 points in 3 playoff games, all with 16 minutes of ice time start to enter into your conversation? Can we compare him to Laine and should I expect your essay on why Marner is better than Matthews?

Reactions: Plural and Kelly

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
So when does Mitch Marner, with his 69 regular season points and 4 points in 3 playoff games, all with 16 minutes of ice time start to enter into your conversation? Can we compare him to Laine and should I expect your essay on why Marner is better than Matthews?
None of them are good, cant grow a playoff beard...

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
This reeks of insecurity. Cringeworthy.

Awww. Awesome. That would balance the offset of insecurity tipping less to the favor of the Leafs (and not from so flattering point of view). However, you can be certain I'm one of the least insecure fans out there that comes down to Laine or to Laine and Matthews, just check the post history if my word isn't enough.

I think Marner's window disappeared last year when he turned 20 or should we add a new section to the "rule book" of comparing prospects or players age-to-age, that whenever discussing property of the Leafs franchise, such things should not be accounted for? :D

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Using a three game sample size is really, really stupid. Why don't we check in on these guys when they have 10 series under their belts?
People change their opinions on hockey players here more often than I change my socks. It's becoming a joke changing what you think of player based on 2 good or bad games.
When Andersen struggled in the first 2 games people on here were saying he was terrible and the Leafs will try to find a new goalie in the summer. What?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I think Marner's window disappeared last year when he turned 20 or should we add a new section to the "rule book" of comparing prospects or players age-to-age, that whenever discussing property of the Leafs franchise, such things should not be accounted for? :D

LOL! Of all the days to say such a thing... today is Laine's birthday! He's 20 on April 19th! HAPPY BIRTHDAY PATRIK!!!!! He and Marner are both 20 for the next 15 days, so I guess we better get all of those comparisons in while we can! These next two weeks they will all fight it out for 20 year old supremacy until Marner ages out.

But I guess if you want to handicap for age and 11.5 months is such a big deal, I am looking forward to your thoughts on how Matthews stacks up with Sheifele (5.5 years older than Matthews) or Marner against Wheeler (dude's ancient!) and Connor (six months older). Nik Ehlers is only three months older than Nylander, but surely three months is nothing, so I'll give you a pass on that one, nobody would be foolish enough to think that a three month age gap would make a difference for players. Perhaps we should draw the line at seven months, that's where the big gap lies! Those extra four months make all the difference I tell ya.

Marner is only four months older than Matthews (which is below our age-comparison threshold and therefore equal!!), so I do in fact look forward to your thoughts on how Marner is the better player. I think that it's blindingly obvious that Matthews is better and that those three extra points in the playoffs and higher point total in the regular season mean diddly squat, but I know that Marner's numbers match up pretty well with your guy and if you're going to make some arguments I hope that you're going to be consistent.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Correct me if I am wrong but Matthews scored 40 goals in that season, won the rookie of the year in an absolute landslide and took his team to the playoffs and scored 4 goals in 6 games as a rookie while being double teamed for most of the series.
Shhh, that doesn't fit their agenda and they'll storm in and "white knight" you to defend Laine's honour.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Unless you’re his agent, I’m truly saddened by reading this. Hope things get better. May your future be happier than your present, where some stranger’s salary could bring you more joy than anything else in your life. Best wishes.

Wait, hoping for success for a player is frowned upon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad