Playoffs of Laine/Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I think it sounds a bit hyperbolic but honestly probably true (I'm not getting into the Matthews/Laine debate).

Boston has been the best team since about January in the entire league. Called them the best team in the league before the matchups were even set. Honestly, I think the Leafs play them well and are a bit of a bad matchup for them, but I'd only pick Pittsburgh ahead of them of all the playoff teams in a 7 game series. I have thought for a while that they would beat every West team in a 7 game series.

Conversely, I think every team beats Minnesota in the playoffs, except maybe NJD. Those are the two weakest teams to me entering the big dance. Avs are a bit of a wildcard you can group in there too. But I truly think there's a sizeable level disparity for sure when comparing Minnesota, Boston.
That's fair if explained properly

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
did you not watch Winnipeg at all last year? Do you turn off the TV every time Winnipeg gets a powerplay this year? I don't see the point of pretending Laine hasn't had time with Scheifele and Wheeler

You mean the power play?

Ah i thought 5 on 5. The post was stated to look like 5on5 play.

Last year?
Wheeler and Laine do not play together at all 5 on 5 as Laine is primary use as right wing.
There were few trials but not extensive enough to really call Laine(lw) Schiefele and Wheeler a line.

And no i don't turn off the tv when Jets are on the power play. Though there are times i want to, but that is another story.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Sigh. Why is this a thing here?

Laine and the Jets as a whole have had a great first round. The Leafs and Mathews thus far haven't

I swear, I saw similar but reverse self- congratulatory crap this winter when Laine was on a cold streak and people were calling him a bum. He ended up with 44 goals. When Matthews was injured later and Laine was on a hot streak people started talking about how Matthews wasn't really a special number 1 pick. He finished at more than a point a game.

Why is it Winnipeg and Toronto fans have to define their best young stars at the expense of the other? These teams aren't even rivals and these two players aren't very comparable outside of their scoring prowess (one is a two-way centre and one is a hard-sniping winger). If they weren't in the same draft no one neither franchise's fans would be having these insecure pissing matches whenever one of the two of these players struggle.

Unbelievable; this whole mentality that for your player to be great another player has to be crappy is truly baffling. You guys all realize that unless the Jets and Leafs both make the finals (which would be a dream come true) this di*k measuring is entirely irrelevant; they play in different conferences.

Here is hoping Laine is able to lead the Jets to an upset of the Preds next round and Matthews gets hot and leads the Leafs to an improbable comeback against the Bruins.

A good question. We would have to go back to where it all started and I believe that being around the spring of year 2016 where Laine had sky-rocketed throughout the draft rankings by achieving unseen accomplishments in the Europe where the most notable were the the MVP titles in both FEL playoffs and later on in men's Worlds Hockey Championships. Naturally after these events the undrafted young Patrik had a rockstar status in the country and for once there was an actual real reasons to have high expectations for the player and he was talked about a lot even here in the HFboards mostly in a good and non-polluted atmosphere.

Afterwards the lottery happened where the Leafs were handed over the first overall pick. They needed a franchise center from this draft and there just happened to be one Matthews in the group and despite of Laine's historical curriculum vitale, their soon-to-become-pick was pretty obvious (especially considering that the team had already traded one elite winger to help with the rebuild). This was the turning point. Pretty much simultaneously, a large number of Leafs fans swarmed in to the Patrik Laine topic and the good, constructive and civilized discussion about the player vanished and soon turned into a toxic waste land where the Leafs fans aimed to discredit, belittle not only the young prospect, but his fans and supporters (the Finns, the Jets, etc) on the process while showing no respect for anyone. All the while placing Matthews on an unreachable pedestal, where Laine was nothing and Matthews was everything and then some. Of course the fans who had actually followed up on Laine did not buy any of the stories that were sold on a daily basis with no end in the horizon. Eventually the Laine discussion probably broke some HFboard records after reaching some near 20 topics worth of heated debate where the content and the claims from the non-supporters were pretty ludicrous. Later on Laine ridiculed these critics by doing the exact things they told he couldn't once entering the NHL.

Had none of this happened and if the Leafs fans did not have the urge to attack or be offended by anyone who openly regarded Laine as the BPA in the draft year I doubt none of this would have happened and there could be some mutual respect. At the end, our personal opinions and views don't even mean a thing. It's the players who decide their fates as opposed to who gets the most clicks over the internet. Anyway when one throws a completely unnecessary stab for no better reason (than at least in some cases) insecurity, then he/she better be prepared to take one back. That's how the world without Gandhi works and I'm not at all surprised to see that people haven't forgotten the past and even less surprised to see the feedback in terms of Matthews performances. Although I do agree that the entire discussion is completely unnecessary and the usual "both teams should just enjoy what they have" point is absolutely valid. Nevertheless once the ball starts rolling downhill and it's bigger than you, well good luck stopping it.

Anyway while I'm not the biggest Matthews fan I respect him as a player and I do hope he too gets his act together and adapts into the playoff hockey by willing to go all in like Laine with the physical game and team first mentality. Also by not only throwing hard hits, but taking some back and not shying away from the hard labour. There is no room for half-effort when everyone is playing like there's no tomorrow.

Reactions: CH3NO2

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
A good question. We would have to go back to where it all started and I believe that being around the spring of year 2016 where Laine had sky-rocketed throughout the draft rankings by achieving unseen accomplishments in the Europe where the most notable were the the MVP titles in both FEL playoffs and later on in men's Worlds Hockey Championships. Naturally after these events the undrafted young Patrik had a rockstar status in the country and for once there was an actual real reasons to have high expectations for the player and he was talked about a lot even here in the HFboards mostly in a good and non-polluted atmosphere.

Afterwards the lottery happened where the Leafs were handed over the first overall pick. They needed a franchise center from this draft and there just happened to be one Matthews in the group and despite of Laine's historical curriculum vitale, their soon-to-become-pick was pretty obvious (especially considering that the team had already traded one elite winger to help with the rebuild). This was the turning point. Pretty much simultaneously, a large number of Leafs fans swarmed in to the Patrik Laine topic and the good, constructive and civilized discussion about the player vanished and soon turned into a toxic waste land where the Leafs fans aimed to discredit, belittle not only the young prospect, but his fans and supporters (the Finns, the Jets, etc) on the process while showing no respect for anyone. All the while placing Matthews on an unreachable pedestal, where Laine was nothing and Matthews was everything and then some. Of course the fans who had actually followed up on Laine did not buy any of the stories that were sold on a daily basis with no end in the horizon. Eventually the Laine discussion probably broke some HFboard records after reaching some near 20 topics worth of heated debate where the content and the claims from the non-supporters were pretty ludicrous. Later on Laine ridiculed these critics by doing the exact things they told he couldn't once entering the NHL.

Had none of this happened and if the Leafs fans did not have the urge to attack or be offended by anyone who openly regarded Laine as the BPA in the draft year I doubt none of this would have happened and there could be some mutual respect. At the end, our personal opinions and views don't even mean a thing. It's the players who decide their fates as opposed to who gets the most clicks over the internet. Anyway when one throws a completely unnecessary stab for no better reason (than at least in some cases) insecurity, then he/she better be prepared to take one back. That's how the world without Gandhi works and I'm not at all surprised to see that people haven't forgotten the past and even less surprised to see the feedback in terms of Matthews performances. Although I do agree that the entire discussion is completely unnecessary and the usual "both teams should just enjoy what they have" point is absolutely valid. Nevertheless once the ball starts rolling downhill and it's bigger than you, well good luck stopping it.

Anyway while I'm not the biggest Matthews fan I respect him as a player and I do hope he too gets his act together and adapts into the playoff hockey by willing to go all in like Laine with the physical game and team first mentality. Also by not only throwing hard hits, but taking some back and not shying away from the hard labour. There is no room for half-effort when everyone is playing like there's no tomorrow.

So you want a player who has had A SHOULDER INJURY this year to dish out hits and take hard hits?? Why is that? so he can further injure the shoulder that may not yet be properly healed? Would you say the same for Laine?? I don't think so!!!!!!

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
What debate? I said many seasons ago that Laine was the better player, I stood by it, and now these playoffs are proving it. The biggest stage for the game. One's invisible, and the other has a shot that looks to be about the best in the game today.

Well, there seems to be some animosity among posters regarding this flammable subject. So, I am not talking about your definitive (and silent) certainty about the matter but this other side of things - which looks and sounds like a debate with no end or conclusion in sight.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018

So you want a player who has had A SHOULDER INJURY this year to dish out hits and take hard hits?? Why is that? so he can further injure the shoulder that may not yet be properly healed? Would you say the same for Laine?? I don't think so!!!!!!
I will take the player who plays the game the way it should be played and doesn't hide in the corner saying....i have a sore shoulder, let someone else go play that way and I will float around. Everyone has injuries... I don't see Bergeron hanging back so why should there be a different set of rules for matthews?

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

He's been playing for a month now. You would imagine the worst being over. Does he look like a player that steams forward protecting one side (he was sandwiched so don't know which should got hurt)? In the playoffs even the injured players seem to do whatever it takes for the team to progress. If he is still not recovered he probably wouldn't be playing at all, so this sounds a bit like an excuse and emotional one I might say. I don't have the specifics about his condition but if you do, then feel free to enlighten.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
I will take the player who plays the game the way it should be played and doesn't hide in the corner saying....i have a sore shoulder, let someone else go play that way and I will float around. Everyone has injuries... I don't see Bergeron hanging back so why should there be a different set of rules for matthews?

Get real! Why didn't Laine play last year when he had a concussion? Everyone has injuries. Dumb post by you. FYI Mathews is doing just fine he's not shying away from anyone. I guess you don't watch the games and Laine has done sweet piss all the last 3 games! And really no one cares what player you'd take, you have no bearing on anythinbg what so ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018

Wow..... so much gold in this post. Really you think Bergeron has been physically engaged in the Bruins Leafs series?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not really -
Mostly a Laine fan circle jerk.
Trust me, Laine and Jet fans are not always the same - especially in "Laine vs Matthews" threads that always, without fail, turn into a ridiculous debate.
All Jets fans are Laine fans (except for a very rare person, I don't think I've seen, but I'm sure all fanbases have one asshole who doesn't like a certain player of their team who is a star player for whatever reason). Not all Laine fans are Jets fans.

Reactions: LowLefty

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
He's been playing for a month now. You would imagine the worst being over. Does he look like a player that steams forward protecting one side (he was sandwiched so don't know which should got hurt)? In the playoffs even the injured players seem to do whatever it takes for the team to progress. If he is still not recovered he probably wouldn't be playing at all, so this sounds a bit like an excuse and emotional one I might say. I don't have the specifics about his condition but if you do, then feel free to enlighten.

No one knows, the Leafs don't let out any info!!!! As the other poster Walt 22 said everyone plays with injuries and maybe he is playing through an injury. None of us know and maybe won't till the playoffs are over.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
did you not watch Winnipeg at all last year? Do you turn off the TV every time Winnipeg gets a powerplay this year? I don't see the point of pretending Laine hasn't had time with Scheifele and Wheeler

Wait what?

Laine worked really well with those 2.

In fact, people were pissed when he was moved to a different line.

It's actually really funny because Leaf fans were saying that Laine was a product of Scheifele.....now he doesn't work well with him?

What's the narrative now?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Wait what?

Laine worked really well with those 2.

In fact, people were pissed when he was moved to a different line.

It's actually really funny because Leaf fans were saying that Laine was a product of Scheifele.....now he doesn't work well with him?

What's the narrative now?
what do you mean? I'm just pointing out that Laine has played with Scheifele and Wheeler and continues to on powerplays, since a Jets fan said he wishes Laine would get time with those two

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
what do you mean? I'm just pointing out that Laine has played with Scheifele and Wheeler and continues to on powerplays, since a Jets fan said he wishes Laine would get time with those two
EDIT: WAIT A MINUTE

I AM DUMB....

I READ IT WRONG.

PLEASE IGNORE!

I made the cardinal sin of misreading something on the internet.

To the timeout corner I go.

3214798830_b1bac444aa_b.jpg

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Maybe I read the double negative wrong but "I don't see the point of pretending Laine hasn't had time with Scheifele and Wheeler" infers that Laine has a hard time playing with Wheels and Scheif.
oh no, it just means that they've had time playing together and I didn't understand why a Winnipeg fan would say they haven't played together. Obviously they've had tremendous success when they've played on a line/on the powerplay

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Get real! Why didn't Laine play last year when he had a concussion? Everyone has injuries. Dumb post by you. FYI Mathews is doing just fine he's not shying away from anyone. I guess you don't watch the games and Laine has done sweet piss all the last 3 games! And really no one cares what player you'd take, you have no bearing on anythinbg what so ever!!!!!!!!!!!!
Concussions have a protocol. Boo boos on little girls shoulders get bandaids. Nice that you group them together. Matthew is fine...if you expect him not to show up for the most important games and float. Watch a game and you will see Laine being involved and effective. They hardly mention matthews cause just like always he doesn't show up. But hey...maybe he will get a bronze medal for coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad