Playoffs of Laine/Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Can we stop this idiotic comparison already? this fabricated "rivalry" between these two players and teams for that matter.

Matthews is also a #1 elite centre, Laine is a winger. Apples and Oranges.

Enough already.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Can we stop this idiotic comparison already? this fabricated "rivalry" between these two players and teams for that matter.

Enough already.

*Laine is an elite winger. :sarcasm:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
oh no, it just means that they've had time playing together and I didn't understand why a Winnipeg fan would say they haven't played together. Obviously they've had tremendous success when they've played on a line/on the powerplay

The people saying that they never play together are wrong. However, it is misleading to say they usually play together and to imply that Laine is a product of Scheifele, when, at even strength, they generally do NOT play together.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
oh no, it just means that they've had time playing together and I didn't understand why a Winnipeg fan would say they haven't played together. Obviously they've had tremendous success when they've played on a line/on the powerplay

Of course they play together on the powerplay. That goes without saying and everyone knows this. While Laine may be the greater force on any PP formation you can think of, Wheelers is the one who benefits the most individually. The game goes through him and he has the opportunity to either try find lanes to Laine, pass up to Scheifele who's slotted in front or shoot himself. There's little connection between Laine and Scheifele due to how the PP is setup and they don't really benefit from each other (besides Laine's presence creating open space for Scheifele and perhaps a bit vice versa). Laine is the best powerplay scorer in the league and while they can toss him into whatever lower line, they would be insane if they left him out of the 1st PP unit. That's just on powerplay though. The LSW line existed for 40 minutes in the regular season of 17-18.

No one can claim he has been getting any handouts this season despite of showing he was one of the best goal scorers even last year already. He's been treated like an average talented and capable young hockey player as you can see from the TOI. If we take a look at Connor for example, Connor has been playing with Scheifele and Wheeler almost the entire season, even on the PP right up until Stastny showed up. He has been in a very comfortable position receiving even more ice time (both regular season and in the playoffs) than Laine despite of being the inferior player. Yeah, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense but at the same time (if one compared points and added line mates into equation) it goes to show how effective Laine can be even with lesser time on the rink. Against the Wilds in the last game especially you could see his main focus was just to stop the other team from scoring and played super unselfishly even with a comfortable lead. That's commitment.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Wasn't that from The Outer Limits?

m.

250px-TheTwilightZoneLogo.png

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Jets fans win one playoff series for the first time EVER and they feel they get to talk a big game. Cute.
That's the other half of our Winnipeg fan base who were told by the HB board that we had to get a playoff series win before we should reply. Didn't Leaf fans get the same memo. I guess unfortunately no.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Boston has been the best team since about January in the entire league.
Boston is still behind Nashville Winnipeg even if we just look at the period after Jan 1. Toronto is still neck in neck with Minnesota.
% of possible points since Jan 1

Nashville 0.750
Winnipeg 0.738
Boston 0.711
Toronto 0.679
Minnesota 0.674

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Can't wait for Laine to play with those 2 guys.
Hahahaha

What fact? Where

Is that the Jets fault for being 2nd overall in the league standing? So they get a better match up? Only in the 1st round.
Now the 1 team and 2 2 team in the league might be facing off in the 2nd round.

How can be Boston the best team in the playoff?

So its my responsibility to go back months and months ago to find a quote from a Jets fan I read? If I was a smart HFer and knew the ins and outs I could find it for you, I still may be able too but I don't want to spend 15-30 mins of my day finding a quote FOR YOU who I don't care believes me or not.

It is a fact. 100 percent that a Jets fan said this and no one really disagreed or laughed at his notion. That's not to say no one disagreed with him I'm sure lots of Jets fans (probably most) didn't lose faith in Laine due to his inconsistent start, it looked to me more like a way to brag about the teams depth.

It Is a fact though because I did read it.

I wouldn't make something like this up for kicks, what on earth would be the point? TO defend Matthews? I don't even like Matthews.

I tried searching Last Night Laine not top 6 winger, and looked back in my post count couldn't find it on first glance.

All I know is the post happened by a Jets fan some time from November 17- January 18 either in NHL talk on the main boards or in the Jets forum. If you find a quick way I can check for it by all means let me know.

By memory the quote, went something like this (Which may make it easier to find.)

There was talk about Connor doing well all of the sudden.

Then there was talk about Laine not doing much, let alone scoring he said "Laine isn't even a top 6 winger on our team right now."

he may of said "Playing like" but both mean the same thing, I mean there was a time when the Jets had him on the third line so he could of even been referring to that but it looked to me like a compliment to the teams depth, more then a complete bash of Laine.

By the way, if someone were to punch you on the face, but no one saw it other then you and a few people you can't find again. Then you went to tell the story to someoine else. Would it be a FACT that someone punched you?

It would be, right? So thast's why your What fact, where? DOesen't matter. But If I can help you to find it I will.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Enough already.

It is odd.

The two players have zero connection to one another other than from the same draft class. Relatively speaking have barely played against one another and have no personal rivalry.

There’s is also zero rivalry between the Jets and Leafs or any real connection between the two present teams other than Maurice (and I’m sure half of Leafs fans have forgotten he was even coach for the team).

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Concussions have a protocol. Boo boos on little girls shoulders get bandaids. Nice that you group them together. Matthew is fine...if you expect him not to show up for the most important games and float. Watch a game and you will see Laine being involved and effective. They hardly mention matthews cause just like always he doesn't show up. But hey...maybe he will get a bronze medal for coming out.

I think you have it backwards, it's Laine that floats!!!

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Winnipeg screamed "Laine Is Better" after 4 games into their careers. Case closed.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
So its my responsibility to go back months and months ago to find a quote from a Jets fan I read? If I was a smart HFer and knew the ins and outs I could find it for you, I still may be able too but I don't want to spend 15-30 mins of my day finding a quote FOR YOU who I don't care believes me or not.

It is a fact. 100 percent that a Jets fan said this and no one really disagreed or laughed at his notion. That's not to say no one disagreed with him I'm sure lots of Jets fans (probably most) didn't lose faith in Laine due to his inconsistent start, it looked to me more like a way to brag about the teams depth.

It Is a fact though because I did read it.

I wouldn't make something like this up for kicks, what on earth would be the point? TO defend Matthews? I don't even like Matthews.

I tried searching Last Night Laine not top 6 winger, and looked back in my post count couldn't find it on first glance.

All I know is the post happened by a Jets fan some time from November 17- January 18 either in NHL talk on the main boards or in the Jets forum. If you find a quick way I can check for it by all means let me know.

By memory the quote, went something like this (Which may make it easier to find.)

There was talk about Connor doing well all of the sudden.

Then there was talk about Laine not doing much, let alone scoring he said "Laine isn't even a top 6 winger on our team right now."

he may of said "Playing like" but both mean the same thing, I mean there was a time when the Jets had him on the third line so he could of even been referring to that but it looked to me like a compliment to the teams depth, more then a complete bash of Laine.

By the way, if someone were to punch you on the face, but no one saw it other then you and a few people you can't find again. Then you went to tell the story to someoine else. Would it be a FACT that someone punched you?

It would be, right? So thast's why your What fact, where? DOesen't matter. But If I can help you to find it I will.

Big deal do you think it wouldn't be equally easy to find someone posting something negative about Matthews after playoff losses. Just because one poster from a fan base posts something doesn't mean the entire fan base agrees with it.
Laine has had his slumps this season fortunately thus far it hasn't been in the playoffs.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
I think you have it backwards, it's Laine that floats!!!
Floats Luke a butterfly, stings like a bee....its patrick laine. Winner of championships, elite hockey player. Matthews...winner of bronze medals...that makes loser when it counts. Funny you have no response to that point.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Who is Laine most compared to?
Who is Matthews most compared to?
Answer that and you will get your answer.;)

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Even after Matthews scored 4 goals in his first career game? Doesn't sound too bright. But, Jets fans.
Unfortunately Matthews has regressed since that first game. Great Rookie season. Injuries started to mount in year 2 and poor play has continued into the playoffs where he has failed to lead the Leafs like their fans predicted he would. Thus far demonstrating he is soft and scared of contact and in 5 games has failed to be a positive in plus minus in a single game.
Leaf fans can say what they want but we know the majority of Leaf fans were expecting more from him than he has delivered this year in the playoffs.
Whereas Laine even when he isn't scoring has added a defensive element to his game that didn't exist last season.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Unfortunatel Matthews has regressed since that first game. Great Rookie season. Injuries started to mount in year 2 and poor play has continued into the playoffs where he has failed to lead the Leafs like their fans predicted he would. Thus far demonstrating he is soft and scared of contact and in 5 games has failed to be a positive in plus minus in a single game.
Leaf fans can say what they want but we know the majority of Leaf fans were expecting more from him than he has delivered this year in the playoffs.
Whereas Laine even when he isn't scoring has added a defensive element to his game that didn't exist last season.
Bolded is true, it's a real shame he didn't keep up that 328 goal pace.

Last edited:

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Unfortunately Matthews has regressed since that first game. Great Rookie season. Injuries started to mount in year 2 and poor play has continued into the playoffs where he has failed to lead the Leafs like their fans predicted he would. Thus far demonstrating he is soft and scared of contact and in 5 games has failed to be a positive in plus minus in a single game.

Regressed = on pace for 44 goals and 85 pts?

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
It's funny because Matthews is really good defensively. He led the forwards in blocks during the regular season, despite missing 20 games and not playing the penalty kill. His PPG jumped from .84 per game to 1.02 this season. Laine was 12 points shy of PPG lol. His goals for jumped from .49 per game to .54 per game, without a 4 goal game, so he was even more consistent. While jumping from 46.8 in faceoffs to 54.5%. All this while facing a higher quality of competition. Do you tap yet?

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Regressed = on pace for 44 goals and 85 pts?
You do realize pace only matters if you play all the games and doesn't matter if you are injured. We have a rookie defenseman who was on pace for 82 goals this season. Is he twice as good as Matthews because his pace was higher.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Floats Luke a butterfly, stings like a bee....its patrick laine. Winner of championships, elite hockey player. Matthews...winner of bronze medals...that makes loser when it counts. Funny you have no response to that point.

I see 3 gold medals for Matthews u17 WHC and U18 WJC (x2)

And one for Laine WJC u20.

Also, you're probably not getting responses because a) you're wrong b) it's a dumb argument.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
You do realize pace only matters if you play all the games and doesn't matter if you are injured. We have a rookie defenseman who was on pace for 82 goals this season. Is he twice as good as Matthews because his pace was higher.
If you can't see the difference of scoring one goal in one game and going PPG over 62 games there is no hope for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad