Playoffs of Laine/Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Geez, sometimes I forget how close the Jets were to becoming the next Pittsburgh with Scheifele-Matthews as a 1-2 center punch.

More than okay with how things turned out though :)

Lol. I remember just before the draft how some Jets fans were in a panic that the Leafs were going after Laine after his performance in the WC. My brother and I laughed about this if the Leafs pick Laine the Jets get Matthews. How anyone thought this was a lost for the Jets I'll never understand. Think how good the Jets would be with a Scheifele/Matthews compo at C. The fact is after 2 season both the Leafs and Jets could not lose picking any one of these two players. Both are that good.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
And leafs fans don't do that to other fanbases?

If you can dish it out you better be able to take it. Not you specifically, but the majority of yall.
Whoa !! careful buddy now hes gonna hate the canucks!!! you canuck fans made him do it!!

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
LOL! Of all the days to say such a thing... today is Laine's birthday! He's 20 on April 19th! HAPPY BIRTHDAY PATRIK!!!!! He and Marner are both 20 for the next 15 days, so I guess we better get all of those comparisons in while we can! These next two weeks they will all fight it out for 20 year old supremacy until Marner ages out.

But I guess if you want to handicap for age and 11.5 months is such a big deal, I am looking forward to your thoughts on how Matthews stacks up with Sheifele (5.5 years older than Matthews) or Marner against Wheeler (dude's ancient!) and Connor (six months older). Nik Ehlers is only three months older than Nylander, but surely three months is nothing, so I'll give you a pass on that one, nobody would be foolish enough to think that a three month age gap would make a difference for players. Perhaps we should draw the line at seven months, that's where the big gap lies! Those extra four months make all the difference I tell ya.

Marner is only four months older than Matthews (which is below our age-comparison threshold and therefore equal!!), so I do in fact look forward to your thoughts on how Marner is the better player. I think that it's blindingly obvious that Matthews is better and that those three extra points in the playoffs and higher point total in the regular season mean diddly squat, but I know that Marner's numbers match up pretty well with your guy and if you're going to make some arguments I hope that you're going to be consistent.

What beyond the world.... Are you suggesting one year has no bearing in terms of how young player excels on the ice? Or should we now talk about "~11 months + some days" and days just to make your argument look better as there's not exact 365 days difference between the two players? Furthermore a statement of age MATTERS being called "handicapping" when comparing other players versus Leafs players is absolutely hilarious. If it didn't matter why wasn't Barzal in the league 16-17 scoring ppg season already?

As for my thoughts of Marner being better player than Matthews? Which fantasy novel have you been reading exactly as I have no frigging clue where you come up with all this (I certainly never claimed anything of the kind)? Thought I already made it perfectly clear that should Matthews had played Laine's minutes on the regular season, he wouldn't have been a PPG this year and it seems you're trying to parallel this to whatever conclusions your pretty vivid imagination comes up with. In fact Laine is the only player in the history (since they started clocking TOI) who's scored 40 goals with the same or lesser minutes. I'll take a 19 year old 44 goal scorer over 20 year old 69 pts winger any day and as much as it matters (before you jump, yes I'm aware Laine is 20 years old today), I wouldn't hesitate taking Laine over Matthews either. Seriously, I'd suggest not overthinking simple comments if for not better reason other than keeping thoughts together instead of drawing some of the strangest conclusions ever. I've come up some pretty odd inputs here but this one is close to taking the cake. L..Good grief. =)

Bergeron didn't play tonight Kelsier. No points for Matthews, barely noticable in game 4. You can be partial or impartial Laine has had a better playoffs this year.

Oh yes couldn't help but to notice. Thought he was the reason why Matthews disappeared from the map in the playoffs, or well, that was the story the Leafs were selling. Yet Bergeron didn't play and that didn't seem to make much of a difference. Meanwhile Laine has been playing quite well and has been extremely reliable at both ends, even when he hasn't been scoring. Don't think it's much of a question who's been better at the playoffs this far even apart from the points (1 pts in 4 gp vs 4 pts in 4 gp). Of course it's always possible that either team gets knocked out of the competition or that one of them starts slumping royally. Can only talk about what's happened this far, so of course I cannot but agree with you. Also lets not forget, these are the games that matter the most.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
And the never-ending debate goes on... Refreshing like a shower of spring rain.

What debate? I said many seasons ago that Laine was the better player, I stood by it, and now these playoffs are proving it. The biggest stage for the game. One's invisible, and the other has a shot that looks to be about the best in the game today.

Reactions: behemolari

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Laine has no more chance to set any further records as teenager. Incidentally has same birthday as my brother who sucks at playing hockey

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
What beyond the world.... Are you suggesting one year has no bearing in terms of how young player excels on the ice? Or should we now talk about "~11 months + some days" and days just to make your argument look better as there's not exact 365 days difference between the two players? Furthermore a statement of age MATTERS being called "handicapping" when comparing other players versus Leafs players is absolutely hilarious. If it didn't matter why wasn't Barzal in the league 16-17 scoring ppg season already?

As for my thoughts of Marner being better player than Matthews? Which fantasy novel have you been reading exactly as I have no frigging clue where you come up with all this (I certainly never claimed anything of the kind)? Thought I already made it perfectly clear that should Matthews had played Laine's minutes on the regular season, he wouldn't have been a PPG this year and it seems you're trying to parallel this to whatever conclusions your pretty vivid imagination comes up with. In fact Laine is the only player in the history (since they started clocking TOI) who's scored 40 goals with the same or lesser minutes. I'll take a 19 year old 44 goal scorer over 20 year old 69 pts winger any day and as much as it matters (before you jump, yes I'm aware Laine is 20 years old today), I wouldn't hesitate taking Laine over Matthews either. Seriously, I'd suggest not overthinking simple comments if for not better reason other than keeping thoughts together instead of drawing some of the strangest conclusions ever. I've come up some pretty odd inputs here but this one is close to taking the cake. L..Good grief. =)

Oh yes couldn't help but to notice. Thought he was the reason why Matthews disappeared from the map in the playoffs, or well, that was the story the Leafs were selling. Yet Bergeron didn't play and that didn't seem to make much of a difference. Meanwhile Laine has been playing quite well and has been extremely reliable at both ends, even when he hasn't been scoring. Don't think it's much of a question who's been better at the playoffs this far even apart from the points (1 pts in 4 gp vs 4 pts in 4 gp). Of course it's always possible that either team gets knocked out of the competition or that one of them starts slumping royally. Can only talk about what's happened this far, so of course I cannot but agree with you. Also lets not forget, these are the games that matter the most.

I guess my sarcasm didn't reach through as well as I had hoped it would so I will keep this post far more concise. I believe that age has some bearing, but the extent to which you seem to think it does is crazy. A one year age difference for players with the same time in the NHL more than makes them comparable. Considering that Marner finished with 1 less point than Laine and equivalent ice time, I'd say that makes them very similar. If you want to make the argument that goals are worth more than assists, that's fine, I don't have any problems with that argument. But if you're going to argue for both age and goals as difference makers, I look forward to seeing your thoughts on Matthews versus Sheifele (or Barkov if you're more Finnish than Winnipeg). After all, you "called me out" in your first post about age not mattering for the Leafs, so I want to see how you think age and goals affect that comparison. The point I am making is that you are not even consistent in your own arguments.

I used the Matthews versus Marner comparison because it helps make you look silly when you claim that a 70 point winger is better than Matthews, but a 69 point winger is miles worse. Clearly if Matthews played Marner's minutes (which are Laine's minutes) he would not put up Marner's points (which are Laine's points), right? Is your logic consistent? How can you tell me that Laine's numbers are better than Matthews' but Marner's aren't? If you think that 4 points in 4 games is so much better than 1 point in 4 games, then why is 5 points in 4 games not so much better than 1 point in 4 games?

And just to test your consistency a bit further, James Van Riemsdyk scored 36 goals this year playing 14:54 a game. How do you think he compares to Laine? How does he compare to Marner? Would he have scored 40 if he got Laine's/Marner's ice time? Should the 36 goal winger be worth more than the 69 points winger? It's funny, because I expect you (and any sane person) to think Laine is about 100x better, but I use it to point out how silly I think your arguments are.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I guess my sarcasm didn't reach through as well as I had hoped it would so I will keep this post far more concise. I believe that age has some bearing, but the extent to which you seem to think it does is crazy. A one year age difference for players with the same time in the NHL more than makes them comparable. Considering that Marner finished with 1 less point than Laine and equivalent ice time, I'd say that makes them very similar. If you want to make the argument that goals are worth more than assists, that's fine, I don't have any problems with that argument. But if you're going to argue for both age and goals as difference makers, I look forward to seeing your thoughts on Matthews versus Sheifele (or Barkov if you're more Finnish than Winnipeg). After all, you "called me out" in your first post about age not mattering for the Leafs, so I want to see how you think age and goals affect that comparison. The point I am making is that you are not even consistent in your own arguments.

I used the Matthews versus Marner comparison because it helps make you look silly when you claim that a 70 point winger is better than Matthews, but a 69 point winger is miles worse. Clearly if Matthews played Marner's minutes (which are Laine's minutes) he would not put up Marner's points (which are Laine's points), right? Is your logic consistent? How can you tell me that Laine's numbers are better than Matthews' but Marner's aren't? If you think that 4 points in 4 games is so much better than 1 point in 4 games, then why is 5 points in 4 games not so much better than 1 point in 4 games?

And just to test your consistency a bit further, James Van Riemsdyk scored 36 goals this year playing 14:54 a game. How do you think he compares to Laine? How does he compare to Marner? Would he have scored 40 if he got Laine's/Marner's ice time? Should the 36 goal winger be worth more than the 69 points winger? It's funny, because I expect you (and any sane person) to think Laine is about 100x better, but I use it to point out how silly I think your arguments are.

Oh boy, for the "one year doesn't make all that much difference" when referring to players at their teens (since Laine still was one when regular season ended) is just laughable. Enough so that I barely even bothered to respond to this since anyone who truly believes that has pretty twisted and false perspective of hockey at a general level. You should be looking at Marner's 16-17 and compare that to Laine's 17-18 as opposed lets just compare players and fk the age difference. Furthermore to suggest that the two would belong in the same tier is again what I just described earlier. But hey, if you want to believe that Marner of the same caliper of a player one who just finished second in the Rocket Richard race, then by all means do just that. :D I've seen these type of discussions before where someone looks at certain category without taking account all the aspects and making rather funny statements at the same time. Nothing new there. Also yes, goals are more highly regarded than assists. For each one goal there can always be two assists where for each assist there can be only one goal. When you have a potential generational goal scorer at hands, you take the guy over elite playmaker all day and on the weekends.

As for Barkov, Scheifele and Matthews, I believe both Barkov and Scheifele are ahead of Matthews for the time being. Matthews has the best natural goal scoring instinct of the punch while Barkov is quite clearly the best two-way forward. Scheifele is like a hybrid. Matthews is ahead of the two in age to age comparison in my opinion (with Barkov and his complete game not that much though). You make a statement that I'm not consistent with my statements, yet you forget to point out why that is so? Quite constructive I'd say. Also should I remind you that it was you who called me out, not the other way around? No problem, I don't mind to debate a one bit.

Again, I've been talking about goals and you've been stuck with your points. I don't know how many times I have to repeat this. We've seen with our own eyes the Laine now and the Matthews now in the playoffs and how does it look again? I'm also taking into account Laine's ceiling and the fact that out of the three players mentioned, he's the most raw physically. If he can score 44 goals while having areas he can improve quite drastically, who's to tell what he can do 3-4 years from today especially when no longer playing in the second line with 16+/mins average. Marner is what he is and isn't getting any taller and will always have a limited strength versus other players in the NHL. Matthews has always seemed like far more polished product when compared to Laine. As for you, you are staring at the points while ignoring other significant factors and claiming a player should look the same on the rink whether he is 19 or 20 (with a year's difference). Furthermore it is not me who absolutely insists bringing Marner into discussion but you are, even though the topic quite clearly states two players. Guess who? Also where again did I claim 4 > 5? If you read back I've mentioned several times now that not only has Laine scored more points than Matthews, but the level and quality of his game at his own end and at the offensive end has been of higher level. Why don't we take Crosby into the discussion by the way. I mean clearly the age has no bearing and he's outscoring everyone with an ease! :D

Was JVR 19 years old less when he scored the 36 goals? Does 36 equal to 40 or even 44? I don't know the answer to the first question, cause I never cared enough to follow the guy in the begin with. So there's no point for me to even try to analyse his achievement. You'd have to know just a bit more than the raw numbers (the very aspects you've conveniently been ignoring from the get go). It's funny that you question my arguments, question my statements, then present questions to which you could have gotten answers to just by actually reading my previous takes. At the same time you quite clearly state that player development has little to do with how player fairs on the ice. Would 16-17 Laine have scored 44 goals with little to barely any help from Scheifele? No way. He's far better player than he was a year ago and will be far better player at the same time next year. Yet should we follow your logic what I just said would be false statement. Absolutely ludicrous.

Playoffs isn't all about points just as being a better hockey player doesn't always mean you are outscoring the second best player. Anyway I get it, now that you've been so underwhelmed with Matthews, it's time to throw in the next best card so here we go with Marner. Yet since this topic is dedicated to Laine and Matthews, perhaps you should create another one if this troubles you so much?

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Matthews plays with decent grinder. Then there is this Nylander bum who is the softiest player in the whole league. Pathetic player. Marner is soft, but that's because he's still too weak, but Nylander is just a softie with great physique. Leafs should trade him asap.

Nylander's attitude is Chris Stewart level added with that pretty boy attitude. Need to have that six-pack so he can chase some chicks around.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Marner should be thrown into the mix at this point. he's surpassed Matthews quite handily
Through in DeBrusk too, he does everything Marner does without the constant media coverage. Seven hits last night, a goal, his 2nd so far. His speed and relentless checking in both ends is how he played all year. Not the draft bust everyone laughed about after all, time people started talking about him. If Matthews had have the compete and heart he had the series would be different. That is exactly the type of character players you win with like Marner.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Jets are a great team right now. Leafs are a little too soft and raw but on the right track. Not to take anything away from Laine but put him in the leafs and he’s not going to have the playoffs he’s having and same with putting Matthews on the jets he wouldn’t struggle this way. The Leafs and Matthews are their own worst enemies at the moment. They look like they’re coming in ready to lose

Don’t count the leafs out quite yet though.

We've heard time and time again how Leafs are the better team than Jets, and how the kids are better.

Laine loves big games, and if he has a bad game you can bet he calls himself out before the 1st question has been even asked.

Marner is really good and I think he is best leaf in these playoffs. Matthews is good but matched against Bergeron so it is hard for him.

Not in Toronto, Bergy didn't even play last night.

Marners been getting the tough minutes in Toronto and still impress.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

It's pretty one sided stats wise.

Laine 2g 2A, 4pts +2
Matthews 1G, 0A, 1pts -4

But the one thing I notice even more one sided between Laine and Matthews play in post season. Laine is far more engaged, his play in corners, getting to the dirty areas, laying the body on, really playing a team game. Thus far Laine is passing the playoff test. He is leading the Jets in scoring, and into the 2nd rd as likely as by the end of tonight. Laine is the BPA.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Laine turned 20 years old yesterday and as TSN article yesterday stated....he’s the greatest teen goal scorer in the last 30 years, based on actual achievements/results, in the greatest hockey league in the world. He’s also significantly improved his defensive game at the same time. Crazy good.

That being said this thread is way too premature when both guys have only played a handful of games in the playoffs. Way too small sample size to even discuss.

AM has struggled this year but he will be fine.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
It's pretty one sided stats wise.

Laine 2g 2A, 4pts +2
Matthews 1G, 0A, 1pts -4

But the one thing I notice even more one sided between Laine and Matthews play in post season. Laine is far more engaged, his play in corners, getting to the dirty areas, laying the body on, really playing a team game. Thus far Laine is passing the playoff test. He is leading the Jets in scoring, and into the 2nd rd as likely as by the end of tonight. Laine is the BPA.

True, this is what I've been saying all along. It's his overall game play and level of effort that has improved by giant strides. No longer just the goal scorer but being solid all around. I wouldn't even care all that much if he had just one point from the series as he has been playing great hockey throughout the series. On the third game he was a bit invisible but no way a liability. Other than that, if he's not been laying a big hit or creating a scoring chance one way or the other, the man (no longer a kid) has been a joy to watch. He really enjoys the big games as he said it himself and as we can see for ourselves. The way his presence alone on the ice draws the attention from the opponent is quite something. They often use two guys to corner just him.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Why do we keep seeing these threads from both fan bases?

I have no problem saying that Laine is dominating in the playoffs while Matthews is struggling, but how one playoff series determines which player is better overall escapes me.

What also escapes me is the notion that any of this measuring contest even matters. The Leafs had a choice of two incredible players, picked the centre, and let the winger fall to the Jets. Neither team has any reason to be disappointed with what they got.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Why do we keep seeing these threads from both fan bases?

I have no problem saying that Laine is dominating in the playoffs while Matthews is struggling, but how one playoff series determines which player is better overall escapes me.

What also escapes me is the notion that any of this measuring contest even matters. The Leafs had a choice of two incredible players, picked the centre, and let the winger fall to the Jets. Neither team has any reason to be disappointed with what they got.

Completely agree 100% sadly there are some Leaf, Jet and misc fans who won’t let it go. We know 100% if the shoe was on the other foot and Laine & Jets struggling there would be the same thread and Laine would be getting roasted. Sad overall regardless

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Marner should be thrown into the mix at this point. he's surpassed Matthews quite handily

I was just going to post that this should be renamed to Laine/Marner because Marner was easily the best Leaf last night. Not only was he making crisp plays but he looked like the only one out there playing with playoff intensity. Was VERY impressed with his game last night. Everyone else on the Leafs....not so much.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Boston finished 11 points better than Minnesota. Winnipeg finished 13 points better than Minnesota. The better team is producing more offense than the weaker team. Look at the stats Pastrnak is putting up. It's not because he's better than Matthews, the same way Laine is not better than Matthews because of this playoff round. They play for a superior team with a superior supporting cast which gives them a better opportunity to put up points. Minnesota lost Suter as well. Similarly Kadri was suspended 3 games. Suter was supposed to face Laine, like Kadri was supposed to go against Pastrnak.
Minnesota had lost 2 games at home since December. They have now lost 3. You try to make it out to be that they are a terrible team when they are not. Weren't you one of the leaf fans that said...leafs beat the Bruins 7 times this year....we will win in 5 games? Now the Bruins are all of a sudden a good team?

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
We've heard time and time again how Leafs are the better team than Jets, and how the kids are better

Tell me about it...

It’s always:

Matthews > Laine
Marner > Connor
Nylander > Ehlers
Rielly > Trouba
Andersen > Hellebuyck
Leafs bottom 6 > Jets bottom 6

But when it comes down to Laine vs Matthews comparisons it’s “well Laine is performing well because his team is better” and “Matthews has nothing to work with.”

The Jets have more depth but I think it’s fair to say that all those comparisons are relatively close and it’s not Toronto in every category like some (probably trolls) would have you believe.

Reactions: xNogaitx and Coach

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Tell me about it...

It’s always:

Matthews > Laine
Marner > Connor
Nylander > Ehlers
Rielly > Trouba
Andersen > Hellebuyck
Leafs bottom 6 > Jets bottom 6

But when it comes down to Laine vs Matthews comparisons it’s “well Laine is performing well because his team is better” and “Matthews has nothing to work with.”

The Jets have more depth but I think it’s fair to say that all those comparisons are relatively close and it’s not Toronto in every category like some (probably trolls) would have you believe.
this is true as to how people think in the gta but nowhere else on earth

Reactions: Moon Man

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I really think Winnipeg will need an army of therapists sent in when they lose a round this year. Many fans will be on the edge.
Why? Loads of people had us finishing second to last in the division this year. Some other loads had us losing in the first round against the Wild.

Sure, if we drop 3 straight, I'd be disappointed. If we win one round and lose to the President's Trophy winners in the 2nd round? Meh. If we go further and then drop a round in either the 3rd or 4th? At least we were there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad