Playoffs of Laine/Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews is probably a little more susceptible to being dragged down by poor team play. Laine’s style of play lets him freelance a goal here and there no matter what the team is doing. Still, unlike Matthews (so far), Laine is definitely showing himself to be a credible playoff performer. Also, he is much more likely to stay with Winnipeg long term than Matthews would have been, in my estimation.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Why? Loads of people had us finishing second to last in the division this year. Some other loads had us losing in the first round against the Wild.

Sure, if we drop 3 straight, I'd be disappointed. If we win one round and lose to the President's Trophy winners in the 2nd round? Meh. If we go further and then drop a round in either the 3rd or 4th? At least we were there.

No, I will definitely need therapy...

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
We have never won a division title. This is the first time we have had home ice advantage in over 30 years.

You can’t outsob our sob story!!
you guys used to be atlanta. thats what i'm referring to lol

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Tell me about it...

It’s always:

Matthews > Laine
Marner > Connor
Nylander > Ehlers
Rielly > Trouba
Andersen > Hellebuyck
Leafs bottom 6 > Jets bottom 6

But when it comes down to Laine vs Matthews comparisons it’s “well Laine is performing well because his team is better” and “Matthews has nothing to work with.”

The Jets have more depth but I think it’s fair to say that all those comparisons are relatively close and it’s not Toronto in every category like some (probably trolls) would have you believe.

If only we could go back to the summer threads and all the vs threads and how that's changed, how many comparisons have been "insulting".

Many had Winnipeg at the bottom of Central in the summer& plenty of fans were laughing at Chevy.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Good to see Laine clearly play at a higher tier than Matthews in the playoffs and prove he is the better player and end this debate once and for all. I am glad this argument has finally and conclusively been decided.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If only we could go back to the summer threads and all the vs threads and how that's changed, how many comparisons have been "insulting".

Many had Winnipeg at the bottom of Central in the summer& plenty of fans were laughing at Chevy.

It's crazy how underrated we were coming into the season. Even I thought we'd be a 3rd place/wild card team.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
It's crazy how underrated we were coming into the season. Even I thought we'd be a 3rd place/wild card team.

Same, I never thought we'd improve so much so quickly

On topic, it's pretty clear that Matthews has struggled so far, but that is probably just due to inexperience plus Bergeron's line. I'm sure he'll be fine.
Laine's doing quite well so far.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Meh, I think the fact that Laine is facing a depleted Minny team is a big factor. Boston is no joke they are one of the best defensive squads in the league. It was just a tough match up for Toronto and Matthews is finding little space to do anything. The real test for Laine will come against the Preds (knock on wood).

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Meh, I think the fact that Laine is facing a depleted Minny team is a big factor. Boston is no joke they are one of the best defensive squads in the league. It was just a tough match up for Toronto and Matthews is finding little space to do anything. The real test for Laine will come against the Preds (knock on wood).
Winnipeg is honestly killing Minnesota. I can't believe it wasn't a sweep. Nashville/Colorado vs Winnipeg should be a great series

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Why do we keep seeing these threads from both fan bases?

I have no problem saying that Laine is dominating in the playoffs while Matthews is struggling, but how one playoff series determines which player is better overall escapes me.

What also escapes me is the notion that any of this measuring contest even matters. The Leafs had a choice of two incredible players, picked the centre, and let the winger fall to the Jets. Neither team has any reason to be disappointed with what they got.

of course, remember it's not about Jets but Laine fans, they're still butt hurt inferior player took the first pick

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Will these playoffs change the unanimous belief held by everybody outside of Jets fans that Matthews is better than Laine if these two players continue on their trajectories?

To me, and im sure everybody else, Matthews has been invisible and the Jets are scorching hot with Laine leading the charge. In this up and down fluctuation of determining who is the better player, has Laine surpassed Matthews for the time being?

What up and down fluctuation...?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I thought they had one of the best depths on the NHL, but had Maurice as a complete mystery.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Minnesota had lost 2 games at home since December. They have now lost 3. You try to make it out to be that they are a terrible team when they are not. Weren't you one of the leaf fans that said...leafs beat the Bruins 7 times this year....we will win in 5 games? Now the Bruins are all of a sudden a good team?
You got the wrong guy. The Leafs didn't even play Boston 7 times this year lol. I don't really care about Minnesota's home record, statistically they were much further back than the Jets in the standings and it's showing so far in the series. They're even missing there best player, so again it's not so surprising.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Tell me about it...

It’s always:

Matthews > Laine
Marner > Connor
Nylander > Ehlers
Rielly > Trouba
Andersen > Hellebuyck
Leafs bottom 6 > Jets bottom 6

But when it comes down to Laine vs Matthews comparisons it’s “well Laine is performing well because his team is better” and “Matthews has nothing to work with.”

The Jets have more depth but I think it’s fair to say that all those comparisons are relatively close and it’s not Toronto in every category like some (probably trolls) would have you believe.
Must have forgotten about your 2 best players Wheeler and Scheifele lol

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I thought they had one of the best depths on the NHL, but had Maurice as a complete mystery.

I think Mo was a little underrated. The players are buying into his system and it is working. Of course having better personnel at nearly every position since he started here has definitely helped.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
For me it was more not seeing Helle being a Vezina finalist. did not see that coming.

I think Jets fans knew he was capable of more it was just a matter of unlocking that talent. He has played well at every other level it was just a matter of would he find it.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Matthews is probably a little more susceptible to being dragged down by poor team play. Laine’s style of play lets him freelance a goal here and there no matter what the team is doing. Still, unlike Matthews (so far), Laine is definitely showing himself to be a credible playoff performer. Also, he is much more likely to stay with Winnipeg long term than Matthews would have been, in my estimation.

Matthews is more susceptible to being dragged down?

This is a whole new narrative and first time I’ve heard this. Up until now it’s been Matthews drives his line and lifts players up.

Im not disagreeing, just first time I’ve seen a leaf fan say this.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Matthews is more susceptible to being dragged down?

This is a whole new narrative and first time I’ve heard this. Up until now it’s been Matthews drives his line and lifts players up.

Im not disagreeing, just first time I’ve seen a leaf fan say this.

don't think that's a Leaf fan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad