Playoff success this year

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Jets will need probably a 100 points to make the playoffs.

The Jets are likely to exceed 100 points but 95 points is normally enough to qualify for the playoffs. Only once has a team reached 96 points and failed to make it. The line in the west this year is looking like it'll be around 94/95 points actually.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
If we make it in I want them to win the Cup. A more realistic expectation is winning one or two rounds. Hopefully this year is a good learning experience for everyone.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Fixing goal and LHD in the off-season didn't do it for you? A year of experience for Ehlers and Laine plus the arrival of Connor and development from Armia, Copp and Lowry didn't stir your optimism? OK, you're entitled. But even Nobody Important has abandoned pessimism. :laugh:

Seriously, there was a lot of solid reason behind raised expectations for this year. I didn't expect 1st in the division but I had/have real hope for that much. I expected to make the playoffs. That's all. But having made the playoffs I can't not expect, much less hope for, a 1st round win. Going into the playoffs, I really don't much care about winning our first PO game ever, or even winning 2 or 3 games. If we lose that series in 4 or in 7 makes little difference to me. Its like losing a game after winning one period. Its just a loss. I'm past the point of taking satisfaction from almost running with the big dogs. We are all grown up now. It is time to be a big dog.
I was optimistic, I believed we should make the playoffs. That will happen, anything on top of that is gravy as far as I am concerned.

We took a step in the right direction this year, I'm happy about it, but I don't expect us to turn into a cup contender in our first attempt at the playoffs. We have a good chance at winning the first series, maybe more, but I'm not going to be crushed if we end up losing.

I haven't been a pessimist all season not sure why you are bringing that into the picture.

Reactions: dratbunnies

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was optimistic, I believed we should make the playoffs. That will happen, anything on top of that is gravy as far as I am concerned.

We took a step in the right direction this year, I'm happy about it, but I don't expect us to turn into a cup contender in our first attempt at the playoffs. We have a good chance at winning the first series, maybe more, but I'm not going to be crushed if we end up losing.

I haven't been a pessimist all season not sure why you are bringing that into the picture.

I'm bringing it into the picture because you are saying that you will be happy with what I consider to be very low levels achievement. You sound much more optimistic in this post than in the previous ones but even so, "anything on top of that is gravy" is pretty low expectations. Basically, you are saying that you will be happy with a very small, incremental improvement over our previous best, which wasn't very good.

I don't think I am setting lofty goals but if we don't win a series I won't look back on this season fondly as one of great achievement. There will have been good moments of course but losing in the first round still leaves us among the group of teams which can be called average. We get a 'C' on our report card. Even if we survive to the 7th game and take every loss to double OT it is still a C, maybe we get a C+ for that.

But you are entitled to set your own standard for satisfaction. :) Whatever makes you happy. This is, after all, entertainment.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I'm bringing it into the picture because you are saying that you will be happy with what I consider to be very low levels achievement. You sound much more optimistic in this post than in the previous ones but even so, "anything on top of that is gravy" is pretty low expectations. Basically, you are saying that you will be happy with a very small, incremental improvement over our previous best, which wasn't very good.

I don't think I am setting lofty goals but if we don't win a series I won't look back on this season fondly as one of great achievement. There will have been good moments of course but losing in the first round still leaves us among the group of teams which can be called average. We get a 'C' on our report card. Even if we survive to the 7th game and take every loss to double OT it is still a C, maybe we get a C+ for that.

But you are entitled to set your own standard for satisfaction. :) Whatever makes you happy. This is, after all, entertainment.
Fair enough.

I suppose I see the playoff berth as a bigger achievement than yourself. To me, us being in contention for top spot in the Central all season and making the playoffs with relative ease is a big step forward, much more than a C grade. I suppose every season until now (except our one playoff year) has been a F grade judging by your rating scale :D.

I won't look back on the season as a great achievement if we go out in the first round, but I will be satisfied that we took a step in the right direction. When you get to the playoffs anything can happen, there is a lot of randomness involved and every kick at the can is meaningful.

Low expectations do make it easier to be happy about the season though :naughty:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Fair enough.

I suppose I see the playoff berth as a bigger achievement than yourself. To me, us being in contention for top spot in the Central all season and making the playoffs with relative ease is a big step forward, much more than a C grade. I suppose every season until now (except our one playoff year) has been a F grade judging by your rating scale :D.

I won't look back on the season as a great achievement if we go out in the first round, but I will be satisfied that we took a step in the right direction. When you get to the playoffs anything can happen, there is a lot of randomness involved and every kick at the can is meaningful.

Low expectations do make it easier to be happy about the season though :naughty:

I agree, contending for top spot in the Central all season and making the playoffs with relative ease would be a bigger accomplishment. We haven't done that yet but it is still looking good.

Using my grading scale the last 7 teams in the standings get F's and D's. The next 8 plus the first round losers get C's. The 8 that advance to the second round end up with B's and A's. Simple. The middle 16 out 0f 31 are average, get C's. That is supposed to be the largest bin. So not every season has been an F. There have been some D's and a couple of low C's. Only the 1 high C. I'm not sure that any has earned an F. I think that would take a bottom 3 finish.

I agree we will have taken a step in the right direction. But I know I will be pissed no matter how I try to console myself if we don't win a series. I will be PO'ed whenever we get eliminated, if we get eliminated, but with a first round victory it will be a little easier to get over. The first 8 out will have been revealed to have been pretenders, not contenders. I don't want to be in that group. :)

Being swept by the Ducks that year really sucked. It left us hunting for silver linings - like how many minutes we lead and how few minutes we trailed, etc. Bah, humbug! Silver linings are for losers.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I agree we will have taken a step in the right direction. But I know I will be pissed no matter how I try to console myself if we don't win a series. I will be PO'ed whenever we get eliminated, if we get eliminated, but with a first round victory it will be a little easier to get over. The first 8 out will have been revealed to have been pretenders, not contenders. I don't want to be in that group. :)

Being swept by the Ducks that year really sucked. It left us hunting for silver linings - like how many minutes we lead and how few minutes we trailed, etc. Bah, humbug! Silver linings are for losers.

May this song bring you solace, and the will to go on when the inevitable happens. ;)

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Two playoff wins would be acceptable. If they won the first series they would unlikely be swept the next but yes that would be a bad ending. I think the best they have in them this year is a third round exit.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
For me playoff success is winning a series and then if we get knocked out after that I want it to be at the end of a hotly contested lay it all on the line slug-fest. After this post season we need to come away battle tested and ready to push it up another level next year. That would be playoff success IMO.

Reactions: Jets2point0

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Jets Win.jpg

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Those were very low expectations before the season too. Of course you are allowed to set your expectations wherever you choose. But with 16 of 31 teams making the playoffs and the 31st team being in its first year of existence being satisfied with merely achieving league average seems pretty pessimistic. Yayyyyy! We're mediocre! Wahooo! :banana::banana::banana: :sarcasm: and it only took 8 years from a running start! :vhappy::towel:

If the Jets lose in the first round, would this be viewed as a “disappointing season”?

I think the Jets have made a lot of progress this year. This looks like a well built/well run team with the Jets competing very well. Our defensive game has improved as has our special teams.

With all that, if we lose in the first round against an exceptional Central division team, do we write off the season as disappointing?

Heck, a lot of you thought Maurice would be fired by November!

Frankly, this team has progressed quite a bit this year.

Sure, if we make the playoffs and then lose in the first round, we’ll be disappointed but only because our expectations have increased based on current year play.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If the Jets lose in the first round, would this be viewed as a “disappointing season”?

I think the Jets have made a lot of progress this year. This looks like a well built/well run team with the Jets competing very well. Our defensive game has improved as has our special teams.

With all that, if we lose in the first round against an exceptional Central division team, do we write off the season as disappointing?

Heck, a lot of you thought Maurice would be fired by November!

Frankly, this team has progressed quite a bit this year.

Sure, if we make the playoffs and then lose in the first round, we’ll be disappointed but only because our expectations have increased based on current year play.

Well, I'm going to be disappointed any and every year we make the playoffs and lose in the first round. Aren't you?

I am also disappointed every time we lose a game.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I just reaaaaaaalllllly want/need them to win a couple playoff games. Everything after that is happiness. Less than a playoff game win is a disaster.

Reactions: JetBlue420

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
ok.
I believe we well should have won that Series against the ducks a few years ago. Goal-tending and PoMo's unwillingness to change goalies after Pavelec crapped the bed 2 games in a row cost us that playoffs....

So.
This year we are a better team, with better goaltending.

I am dreaming of a cup
I am hoping for a conference
I am expecting a second round
I will accept a loss to a quality opponent in a hard fought first round
I will be disappointed in less than 3 wins
I will be distraught with 0-1 wins and looking for a coaching change.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I just reaaaaaaalllllly want/need them to win a couple playoff games. Everything after that is happiness. Less than a playoff game win is a disaster.

I don't quite get the emphasis on winning a playoff game. In '15 we can argue that we should have won 3 of the 4 games. We were certainly in them. Would it really be any better if we had managed to squeak out 1 win and been blown away in 4? I get that it is breaking the goose egg but beyond that does it matter?

It seems to me that a lot of people are just looking for bright spots in the darkness. Something to soothe their wounded pride when they lose.

The only important thing in the playoffs is winning series. Winning games is only important when it leads to winning a series.

I think that once we get that first win people will stop emphasizing it.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I just need one playoff home win to be satiated. Everything else is bonus. If we get swept again that would suck.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I don't quite get the emphasis on winning a playoff game. In '15 we can argue that we should have won 3 of the 4 games. We were certainly in them. Would it really be any better if we had managed to squeak out 1 win and been blown away in 4? I get that it is breaking the goose egg but beyond that does it matter?

It seems to me that a lot of people are just looking for bright spots in the darkness. Something to soothe their wounded pride when they lose.

The only important thing in the playoffs is winning series. Winning games is only important when it leads to winning a series.

I think that once we get that first win people will stop emphasizing it.

Maybe because we are the only NHL franchise ( excluding Vegas ) to have never won a playoff game and it's a tad embarrassing. :(

As far as series go... Look at the 17 seasons this franchise has gone without a series win. OK... so 11 of those were in Atlanta. Still looks bad, and you can't win a series without first winning a game.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Maybe because we are the only NHL franchise ( excluding Vegas ) to have never won a playoff game and it's a tad embarrassing. :(

As far as series go... Look at the 17 seasons this franchise has gone without a series win. OK... so 11 of those were in Atlanta. Still looks bad, and you can't win a series without first winning a game.

Atlanta is irrelevant to an overwhelming majority of Jets fans. I would guess 99%+ I for one could care less about those years. It was a different organization.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Atlanta is irrelevant to an overwhelming majority of Jets fans. I would guess 99%+ I for one could care less about those years. It was a different organization.

Fine. Take away Atlanta. We've been Seven years without a playoff win. That is pathetic. I'd be willing to bet every NHL team won one over that time (besides Buffalo and us)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad