Playoff success this year

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
How many playoff wins do the Jets need to have this year to avoid a ‘disappointing season’?

For me the magic number is 2 wins, I feel lke next year we are primed for our Stanley Cup run, however I feel like expectations may be a bit higher around here

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
For me I'd love to see a series win. Which should quiet the critics for a bit.

I don't know, I think we could go the distance and win the Stanley Cup and the usual suspects would still be griping about what a horrible coach Maurice is, how Laine is improperly utilized, what a slug Hendricks is, how Tanev doesn't belong on the roster, and how Petan should have been given more ice time ...

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't know, I think we could go the distance and win the Stanley Cup and the usual suspects would still be griping about what a horrible coach Maurice is, how Laine is improperly utilized, what a slug Hendricks is, how Tanev doesn't belong on the roster, and how Petan should have been given more ice time ...

Oh probably a gander on the Hawks or Pens board will show you that no matter how much success you have there will always be critics within the fan base. I'm more referring to the non fan critics who always throw it in our face that this franchise has no playoff series wins.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
While I believe this team is good enough to defy the odds and compete with anybody, just don't get swept in round one. Winning a round would be good, winning two rounds would be best case scenario for me this season I guess given our youth and inexperience (making it to the Conference Finals) besides making it to the Stanley Cup Final.

Playoff runs for fans are really awesome, and for me it's such a cool part of history that gets etched in you forever. There are so many pinnacle moments that be it 9 or 12 years later, just makes you feel so good to think about. Feels like yesterday for me when Carolina won in all in 2006. And the run to the Conference Finals in 2009 was also so memorable. The memories you make in a playoff run, as a fan, there's nothing better.

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

I don’t treat those naysayers seriously, TBH. The success that the Jets have had this year essentially invalidates their negative opinions.

As for the question, we will have a very tough first round opponent so it would still be an accomplishment to win a round. Agree that I would want to see at least two wins.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Can we make the playoffs first please? I view this threads as insane jinx threads.

That being said I'll be a good sport and say that if we finish 2nd or 1st in the Central a 1st round upset is unacceptable.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Expectations before the season was to make it. Now a series win is definitely a good benchmark. It will be tough whoever we play but there's no one we can't beat.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Can we make the playoffs first please? I view this threads as insane jinx threads.

That being said I'll be a good sport and say that if we finish 2nd or 1st in the Central a 1st round upset is unacceptable.

If we finish second, we’re going to be facing a very good Central division opponent in a dog fight series.

You really think losing a series to such an opponent is unacceptable?

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan

The only thing insane about this thread is the thought that jinxes are real. But if you feel that way then perhaps you should change your screen name from "whiteout" to "draft lottery losers."
That's just a Vulcan's two cents.

Reactions: Jets2point0

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Its hard to ask for a series win when we have yet to win a single playoff game. I could live with a competitive 7 games, first round loss, but would feel we left something on the table.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Can't believe how low people are setting the bar. Winning 2 games in the playoffs would be OK? Will not be disappointing? All our young players get 6 whole games of PO experience. Oh yeah! That'll have us ready to win it all next year. :sarcasm:

Even if we crept into the last WC spot I will be very disappointed if we don't win round 1, even if we are up against the eventual SC winner. But I don't expect to finish that low in the regular season.

The degree of disappointment drops from there on but if we make it to the final I will still be a little disappointed if we don't win.

Maybe disappointment is the wrong word to use. How about 'satisfaction'? I will be dissatisfied with a 1st round exit. The satisfaction scale probably hits neutral at about the 7th game of the 2nd round. More or less.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Can't believe how low people are setting the bar. Winning 2 games in the playoffs would be OK? Will not be disappointing? All our young players get 6 whole games of PO experience. Oh yeah! That'll have us ready to win it all next year. :sarcasm:

Even if we crept into the last WC spot I will be very disappointed if we don't win round 1, even if we are up against the eventual SC winner. But I don't expect to finish that low in the regular season.

The degree of disappointment drops from there on but if we make it to the final I will still be a little disappointed if we don't win.

Maybe disappointment is the wrong word to use. How about 'satisfaction'? I will be dissatisfied with a 1st round exit. The satisfaction scale probably hits neutral at about the 7th game of the 2nd round. More or less.
I totally agree with this.
I believe a first round win is a must at a minimum.
The roster is there to win and not getting out of round 1 would be a colossal letdown.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Just like this regular season, I think we have the roster to do great things. This makes me have high expectations. I want first over all in the central in regular season and two playoff series wins at least.

No reason this roster shouldn’t be able to do that.

......barring too many injuries.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Sometimes I get the impression that people think that a different sport is played in the playoffs. Experience helps, but it surely does not make or break a team.

As far as reffing and the importance of special teams it does become a bit of a different sport. The experience plays a role in knowing how games will be called and the way you can skirt the rules. LA were experts in interference during their two runs to the cup.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
The teams struggles over the years aside. Looking at this season and this season alone, I think I would expect the team to make it to the conference finals, and push for a shot at a spot in the dance.

We have a real good team, and a real good goalie.

Injuries happen for everyone this time of year and they no excuse. I fully expect Lowry, Trouba, and Tanev to be huge parts of a playoff run.

Hellebuyck needs some rest down the stretch, but needs to maintain a sharp edge as well.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The teams struggles over the years aside. Looking at this season and this season alone, I think I would expect the team to make it to the conference finals, and push for a shot at a spot in the dance.

We have a real good team, and a real good goalie.

Injuries happen for everyone this time of year and they no excuse. I fully expect Lowry, Trouba, and Tanev to be huge parts of a playoff run.

Hellebuyck needs some rest down the stretch, but needs to maintain a sharp edge as well.

Hopefully we get one of Hutch/Mason back soon. I don't have a lot of faith in Comrie stepping every couple of nights to keep us in it.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I view this threads as insane jinx threads.
Doesn't exist. Look up: Confirmation bias.

In short, you note the threads that end up "jinxing" but don't even think about or remember threads that didn't end up "jinxing". In addition, the phenomenon is pretty simple to explain when you think about what sort of threads are made. "Player X is doing very poorly" - Which means he's doing much worse than he should. Well, in that case it's more likely that he's due for a hot streak. Hence jinx thread. The opposite is the same. Doing far better than expected? In that case, a colder streak is to be expected. The same is true for teams. These are natural and logical phenomenons and whether a thread was made on them or not. On the other hand, the -cause- of the thread being made is a reason for the swing in the other way. That also is part of the reason for why someone might say "if you don't really mean it, the jinx doesn't work".

To summarize it, you have cause and effect mixed up. The thread being made is the "effect", not the "cause". The act of making a thread doesn't affect anything. When in a situation where a "jinx thread" might naturally be made, that's the cause and it's independent of whether a thread gets made or not.

Apart from that, I too believe that just winning one playoff series would be a great victory. Also, if they win two series, they probably are in the finals.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
If we are competitive in round 1, go to at least 6 games and make a damn good series out of it, I will look at this season as a success.

Obviously I'd love to win a series or two, and think we are capable of it, but if you had have told me before the season we would make the playoffs and nearly win a series, I would have been happy with that.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Winning one series is my expectation but not getting swept in round two would be nice. They gotta show they can deliver in high pressure games against good teams.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
As far as reffing and the importance of special teams it does become a bit of a different sport. The experience plays a role in knowing how games will be called and the way you can skirt the rules. LA were experts in interference during their two runs to the cup.

Frankly, I find that abserd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad