Playoff success this year

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I just can't imagine how anyone can view a first-round exit as anything but a huge let down and disappointment after the season we've had so far.

It would be disappointing. There are
3 top 5 teams in the Central though. I wouldn't be calling for big changes if they go out in the first round.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Ah, but say the Kings had 98 points that year and the Jets had 97. The Kings would've displaced CGY (97 points) from the 3rd spot in the Pacific and the Jets would've lost out on the 2nd Wildcard to Calgary or ROWs (CGY 41 - WPG 36).

Minnesota's currently in the 2nd WC spot and on pace for 100 points. Colorado is on pace for 97 points and poised to miss. Jets are on pace for 108.

The western teams play each other at a higher rate in the last quarter of the season. Not every team will continue their pace because one of those teams will lose on any given night. Some will some won't. The western playoff line is forecast to be bwtween 94 and 95 points in both the Athletic and McCurdy projections. Tosectake into account who plays who down the stretch.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If the team plays as well as it has for the rest of the season, Maurice will still be here next season even if the Jets lose in the first round.
I don't see them losing to anyone like St. Louis or Dallas in the first round.
I think Nashville should worry about meeting the Ducks in the first round to honest.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
This is what will make me satisfied. We need to win a series in our own barn (however long that takes) I need to hear these lyrics belted out by the MTS crowd

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
But they didn't. So you need time travel. It still is only one time that 96 pts has missed.

I don't know what you are trying to argue here. That is is possible to miss the PO's with 96 pts? Of course it is. Its been done. Is it possible to miss with 99? I'm sure it is, but it has never happened.
"No team with 97 points has ever missed the playoffs" sort of implies that 97 points guarantees playoffs. But there are actual cases where teams would've missed the playoffs even with 97 points in the last 10 years (98 points in one case). So while the statement "no team with 97 points has ever missed the playoffs" is true, the implication that 97 points = playoffs is false.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
"No team with 97 points has ever missed the playoffs" sort of implies that 97 points guarantees playoffs. But there are actual cases where teams would've missed the playoffs even with 97 points in the last 10 years (98 points in one case). So while the statement "no team with 97 points has ever missed the playoffs" is true, the implication that 97 points = playoffs is false.

I think you are overstating the implication just a bit. 97 points =/= playoffs, but the odds are very good. The absolute guaranteed playoff number is a calculation that is beyond me. It would need to assume every game awarded 3 points for a start. :laugh: Then the difference between 1st OA and the last WC spot would need to be minimized. The non playoff teams would need to have the fewest possible points. And so on.

We aren't talking absolute guarantees here, AFAIK. We are talking likelihood, probability. As it stands this year I think there is a pretty good chance that 1 or even 2 teams with high pt scores will miss. 96 or even a 97 might miss out. I think 98 is safe - probably.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad