Playoff success this year

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Winning one series is my expectation but not getting swept in round two would be nice. They gotta show they can deliver in high pressure games against good teams.

Laine's scouting report read something like "has a knack for scoring big goals in big games"

I super excited to see this kid in the playoffs. Saving his best for the post season

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If we are competitive in round 1, go to at least 6 games and make a damn good series out of it, I will look at this season as a success.

Obviously I'd love to win a series or two, and think we are capable of it, but if you had have told me before the season we would make the playoffs and nearly win a series, I would have been happy with that.

Those were very low expectations before the season too. Of course you are allowed to set your expectations wherever you choose. But with 16 of 31 teams making the playoffs and the 31st team being in its first year of existence being satisfied with merely achieving league average seems pretty pessimistic. Yayyyyy! We're mediocre! Wahooo! :banana::banana::banana: :sarcasm: and it only took 8 years from a running start! :vhappy::towel:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Moneypuck has the Jets currently at 55% to make the second round. So going on that alone, I'll say winning the first round and getting to at least 2-2 or 3-3 in the second round (or of course, better! :D ) would be a success.

dratbunnies

Nov 23, 2009
Winnipeg Manitoba
I’m already satisfied with this season. No matter what happens in the playoffs I think this season has showed we are a great team and is a HUGE step forwards. Obviously I want us to go us far as possible in the playoffs and would be absolutely devastated by a series sweep, but that would in no way make me think this season has been a disappointment. We will still be set up with a great team that is closer to the stanley cup than we were before this season.

But I WANT two series wins ;)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It’s so hard for me to say right now. I absolutely loved getting in the White for the Ducks game and felt so low after the Loss. I felt like that was us paying some dues and I am ready for more this year.

I want to exit the playoffs thinking dam that should be us lifting the cup or we are lifting the cup. I want to know we have arrived as a contender and we take that step in the post season.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I'll be disappointed if we don't get past the first round really. I mean winning a couple PO games would be a bare minimum for me but I think winning a series is a reasonable expectation. I wouldn't be shocked for us to make it to the final round even but I certainly don't expect it.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I had the Jets making the playoffs this year. Don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves.

But the Jets have played well enough up to this point to raise expectations higher than just making it. This team has to start building that culture of winning and it starts with winning a playoff game. If they win a round, I'd be thrilled. The more playoff wins the merrier, really. I think getting swept would be super disappointing. Losing in 6 is about the line for "moral victories" for me...

I would definitely like to see the Jets win their first playoff game before goddamn Vegas!

Reactions: Puckatron 3000

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Those were very low expectations before the season too. Of course you are allowed to set your expectations wherever you choose. But with 16 of 31 teams making the playoffs and the 31st team being in its first year of existence being satisfied with merely achieving league average seems pretty pessimistic. Yayyyyy! We're mediocre! Wahooo! :banana::banana::banana: :sarcasm: and it only took 8 years from a running start! :vhappy::towel:

Honestly, after 7 years of 0 playoff wins, you're damn right my expectations were/are low.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
If the Jets are not Stanley Cup champions by the end of the season, I wan't my €1500 winnings paid in full by the team.

Or at least the €32 investment...

The lack of previous playoff success does not concern me because it is better to be a suckfest when you're gathering the pieces than seeing a lot of playoff hockey and not getting the pieces.

Plus Laine already has a cup from Liiga so this is just repetition for him. Maybe a "slightly" better cup in question here but yeah been there done that. Liiga Playoff MVP at 17yo.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Honestly, after 7 years of 0 playoff wins, you're damn right my expectations were/are low.

Fixing goal and LHD in the off-season didn't do it for you? A year of experience for Ehlers and Laine plus the arrival of Connor and development from Armia, Copp and Lowry didn't stir your optimism? OK, you're entitled. But even Nobody Important has abandoned pessimism. :laugh:

Seriously, there was a lot of solid reason behind raised expectations for this year. I didn't expect 1st in the division but I had/have real hope for that much. I expected to make the playoffs. That's all. But having made the playoffs I can't not expect, much less hope for, a 1st round win. Going into the playoffs, I really don't much care about winning our first PO game ever, or even winning 2 or 3 games. If we lose that series in 4 or in 7 makes little difference to me. Its like losing a game after winning one period. Its just a loss. I'm past the point of taking satisfaction from almost running with the big dogs. We are all grown up now. It is time to be a big dog.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Jets will need probably a 100 points to make the playoffs.

If they go out in 4 straight the season was a total waste but lets just make the playoffs first..

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
In order of what I want to see

1) win cup
2) win a series
3) at least win a playoff game
4) make playoffs

Any of them will make me happy. However the level of happiness decreases as you head down the list.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I will be setting my expectations based upon, first.. making the playoffs, and secondly who we end up playing in the first round.

ie: A good hard fought series and we lose to St. Louis in 6 or 7... disappointing but still not the end of the world. But if we to end up in a wild card and lose to Vegas.. I might just have to be put on a suicide watch.

Reactions: Robinson2187

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Referees make the playoffs a different sport?
Where am I?
If the refs call the game differently in the playoffs (which I think they clearly do) then it will benefit some teams more than others. Whoever has the team best suited to the changes and/or can figure out and take advantage of the changes will live long and prosper.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad