Value of: Players on your team you wouldn't trade for the 2019 1st OA

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
The premise of the topic is that the 1OA is up for trade for any 1 for 1 deal. There is no point to your topic blasting the realism of said proposals, as it is a given in the hypothetical.

And people are ragging on it because in this hypothetical where the 1OA is traded 1 for 1 for an asset on your roster, people are putting some pretty crazy restrictions on who they'd give up.

Like the crazy Toronto fans who put up a list of about 8 guys. I mean, Rasmus Sandin? Really?

You call it hypotheticals, I call it fantasyland. Same thing.

If there's no point in me blasting the realism of these pproposals(if you even want to call it that, we don't even know who owns the 1st pick yet), then there's definitely no point in you and others blasting others opinions. And thats all they are.

Last edited by a moderator:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Why not? We have a lack of defense in our cupboard with the way Olli is developing. We need Quinn.
Lmao you take best player available. The difference between Q. Hughes and Jack/Kakko is massive.

You could even trade down, get a lot of assets, and draft Byram at 3/4. This is what I would do, because I think Byram is better than Hughes and he also fills a bigger need.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Lmao you take best player available. The difference between Q. Hughes and Jack/Kakko is massive.

You could even trade down, get a lot of assets, and draft Byram at 3/4. This is what I would do, because I think Byram is better than Hughes and he also fills a bigger need.
Yes i’m aware of BPA (Kakko imo), but it’s possible to at least entertain keeping Quinn if we’re talking about trading him and picking at #1. Our defense needs some workkk

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I know that this site has hockey's future in its DNA, but there are plenty of clubs at the crest of their competitiveness curve that wouldn't trade many core pieces for draft picks/prospects who need time to develop, even if they lose in the pure value calculus.

Making sure they don't lose out today in their transactions is important for teams built to win today, and especially for those built to win yesterday or the day before. Teams like the Penguins or Capitals are approaching their decline. They will be about the present while those core players are elite.

A trade usually isn't always about the most valuable career, once everyone involved has retired. For one side, it will often be about what a player does for you in your current competitiveness window. The trade deadline is about this very concept - teams that are all about the future linking up with teams that are all about the present. They have different priorities.

Reactions: traparatus

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Some of the answers I’m seeing of what people wouldn’t trade for a potential 100 point 1st line center shows me why nontrades are ever agreed upon on this site. Wow you guys rate your players HIGHLY lmao

Someone said they wouldn't trade Josh Morrisey for the first overall pick smh

Reactions: devils29

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I love how people are ragging on other peoples replies like they think there's a legit chance of the 1st overall being traded.

But I guess in fantasyland anything and everything can happen.

I tried to trade Brendan Gaunce for first overall in NHL 19 in “Be a GM” mode but my proposal was declined. My reputation points also got lowered for offering said proposal. :(

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You call it hypotheticals, I call it fantasyland. Same thing.

If there's no point in me blasting the realism of these pproposals(if you even want to call it that, we don't even know who owns the 1st pick yet), then there's definitely no point in you and others blasting others opinions. And thats all they are.

Ok? It’s astounding how badly you miss the point. People are ragging on the fact that in a fantasy land scenario where trading any player on your roster would land the #1OA pick, people are somehow wanting to hold on to Rasmus Sandin.

None of the ragging has anything to do with realism. It’s more how crazy some people overvalue their own assets.

Like if I said “nope, I really like Joe Hicketts and wouldn’t trade him for Jack Hughes”, I should get torn down.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I might trade Malkin for Hughes. Geno is getting older and has slumped a biy. Thats not the point though. The point is Hughes on an ELC + the player we could sign as a UFA with the rest of Malkin's 9.5m in cap space would probably make us a stronger team than having Malkin. You then eventually build around Hughes as Sid gracefully transitions to a 2C Selke finalist that still gives you 70 pts and kills it in the faceoff dot.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Chuck Fletcher would be fired immediately if it was determined he didn't trade Carter Hart for Jack Hughes.
You are such a Hughes fan boy. I am obviously not a Flyers fan, but they haven't had a strong goalie really since Parent. Yet you are questioning why they wouldn't trade Carter Hart for a mystery box? Really?

I call Hughes a mystery box, because that is what he is. Sure he could be a P/G player in the NHL, or he could be a North American Yakopov. So if I have an over a P/G #1 C, why would I trade them for the mystery box? That is just simply poor asset management.

As for the Pens...

Crosby is a given to not trade, Malkin I would have to strongly consider, Guentzel isn't going anywhere, Letang, I would, Dumo...that's a tough one, not because I don't think Hughes will be great, but Dumo is a very difficult player for the Pens to replace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad