Value of: Players on your team you wouldn't trade for the 2019 1st OA

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I understand this, and am more playing devil's advocate than anything.

But, I would think that many #1 overall picks would do a lot better if they were playing on a team like Washington, instead of a team worthy of a #1 overall pick (I know Colorado is an exception to this, but you know what I mean).

I also didn't sift through the thread to see if anyone else said this.... if so, sorry. lol

You see, this is where a lot of people are ignoring current team state when talking about value.

In the next 2 seasons, Capitals don't need a top-6 center. We have top-6 centers. What we need is Tom Wilson.

Hughes wouldn't come in and bump Kuznetsov or Backstrom off the power play. Hell, he would have a hard time stealing 5-on-5 time from those two. He is not going to kill penalties, he is not going to be on the PP and he'll end up slow-cooking on the 4th line with 9 minutes of ice time per game.

Ask me this same question 2 years from now and my answer will be different but today I'm not trading Wilson for the 1st overall pick.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You see, this is where a lot of people are ignoring current team state when talking about value.

In the next 2 seasons, Capitals don't need a top-6 center. We have top-6 centers. What we need is Tom Wilson.

Hughes wouldn't come in and bump Kuznetsov or Backstrom off the power play. Hell, he would have a hard time stealing 5-on-5 time from those two. He is not going to kill penalties, he is not going to be on the PP and he'll end up slow-cooking on the 4th line with 9 minutes of ice time per game.

Ask me this same question 2 years from now and my answer will be different but today I'm not trading Wilson for the 1st overall pick.

Personally, I think that is silly. Tom Wilson isn't a special player. This would be like me saying "I wouldn't trade Darren McCarty for the #1OA pick in the '97 draft (after the first cup win)". In that case, Joe Thornton.

The Wings probably would have "needed" the McCarty who was a 40 point winger and enforcer, but you can bet if the #1OA was offered back then, Holland/Bowman take it and run. And that's when the Wings had Yzerman, Fedorov, Larionov, Draper as their center depth, along with other young dudes being brought in.

I picked McCarty, because his stats are pretty damn similar to current Wilson. Having Hughes (if he's anything like what he's hyped to be) allows you to look at bonkers scenarios where you deal Kuzy or Backstrom for something HUGE. I'm normally not too crazy on overvaluing potential... but Tom Wilson is not a core player. He's not a revolutionary player. Hell, in their history, the Wings had several guys like him (Probie, McCarty, the rich man version in Shanahan) Aggressive dudes who can fight and score. Hell, middle of his career in Phoenix and St. Louis Dallas Drake would apply too.

You could trade Tom Wilson for the #1OA and sign Wayne Simmonds as a FA this year. I don't think you lose a whole lot in player in that transition... AND you would have gained a #1OA. Craziness.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Tkachuk
Gaudreau

Monahan and Lindholm too. #1 overall will probably be a better player than these two guys in the long-run, but I can't see Hughes instantly stepping in at a PPG pace.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Personally, I think that is silly. Tom Wilson isn't a special player. This would be like me saying "I wouldn't trade Darren McCarty for the #1OA pick in the '97 draft (after the first cup win)". In that case, Joe Thornton.

The Wings probably would have "needed" the McCarty who was a 40 point winger and enforcer, but you can bet if the #1OA was offered back then, Holland/Bowman take it and run. And that's when the Wings had Yzerman, Fedorov, Larionov, Draper as their center depth, along with other young dudes being brought in.

I picked McCarty, because his stats are pretty damn similar to current Wilson. Having Hughes (if he's anything like what he's hyped to be) allows you to look at bonkers scenarios where you deal Kuzy or Backstrom for something HUGE. I'm normally not too crazy on overvaluing potential... but Tom Wilson is not a core player. He's not a revolutionary player. Hell, in their history, the Wings had several guys like him (Probie, McCarty, the rich man version in Shanahan) Aggressive dudes who can fight and score. Hell, middle of his career in Phoenix and St. Louis Dallas Drake would apply too.

You could trade Tom Wilson for the #1OA and sign Wayne Simmonds as a FA this year. I don't think you lose a whole lot in player in that transition... AND you would have gained a #1OA. Craziness.

I respect your opinion and McCarty was a fine player but when he played there were a lot of players who did what he did. There is nobody in this league at this moment who plays the way Wilson does. Zero, nobody. He is a huge factor and will be much more important to my team for the next few years than Hughes could ever be. It's obviously the wrong choice in the long term but if short term involves Caps winning another Cup, I frankly don't give a ****

We don't win the Cup last year without Wilson. Simmonds is not it. He used to be but those days are gone.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Gaudreau stays
Tkachuk probably stays
Monahan is right on the line wouldn't be a bad trade

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Depending on the year, Larkin. If Matthews, Eichel, McDavid, or similar players were going to be 1st overall, I'd trade any player and any combination of players.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I love how people are ragging on other peoples replies like they think there's a legit chance of the 1st overall being traded.

But I guess in fantasyland anything and everything can happen.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
wrong-o

Matty or Mitch is the right answer, everyone else is fair game, although tbh Rielly would be included, the Leafs as we all know have some depth issues on the blueline
Mitch is a really good player, he isn't on the same level as Matthews and I would bet Hughes is better as well.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You can’t be serious buddy?
Burns is not a top Dman. He is Horrible defensively and will be 34. Lol at Hertl and Meier being included hahaha.
I'd move Meier, but Hertl wouldn't be easy. He's a near point per game centre with size, smarts, top notch defensive game, and incredible possession game. He's our most important forward.

And holy crap. Burns is about to be a Norris finalist, potentially winning his second. He's not horrible defensively. Get a clue.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Let’s see

Matthews
Tavares
Reilly
Sandin
Lligren
Marner
Conor Brown
Hyman
Jeremy Bracco
Anderson

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I love how people are ragging on other peoples replies like they think there's a legit chance of the 1st overall being traded.

But I guess in fantasyland anything and everything can happen.

The premise of the topic is that the 1OA is up for trade for any 1 for 1 deal. There is no point to your topic blasting the realism of said proposals, as it is a given in the hypothetical.

And people are ragging on it because in this hypothetical where the 1OA is traded 1 for 1 for an asset on your roster, people are putting some pretty crazy restrictions on who they'd give up.

Like the crazy Toronto fans who put up a list of about 8 guys. I mean, Rasmus Sandin? Really?

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

skuzzycuzz

Jan 7, 2012
Kotkaniemi!!
Hughes is probably already better than Kotkaniemi, I don’t get it with him. Every time I watch I’m underwhelmed and most of his points are secondary assists. Yes, I know he’s young and has lots of room to grow.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
The premise of the topic is that the 1OA is up for trade for any 1 for 1 deal. There is no point to your topic blasting the realism of said proposals, as it is a given in the hypothetical.

And people are ragging on it because in this hypothetical where the 1OA is traded 1 for 1 for an asset on your roster, people are putting some pretty crazy restrictions on who they'd give up.

Like the crazy Toronto fans who put up a list of about 8 guys. I mean, Rasmus Sandin? Really?

Sandin is future superstar.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
hard for teams competing to trade a piece off there teams for a player who may not be as good in the first 1-2 years in the show.

im sure hughes is gonna be a stud. But i'd rather have tavares for the first 1,2 maybe even upwards of 4 years. After that i much rather have hughes.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Hughes is probably already better than Kotkaniemi, I don’t get it with him. Every time I watch I’m underwhelmed and most of his points are secondary assists. Yes, I know he’s young and has lots of room to grow.
he has 8 secondary assists and 24 points that are not secondary assists, so no most of his points are not secondary assists. To add he has 13 primary assists so he doesnt even have more secondaries then he has primaries.

As a leafs fan hes my fav player to watch on the habs, very dynamic, skates well and highly skilled, has a good sense for the game and good iq. He has potential to be a top 10 center in the game.

but yeah the habs would/should 100% make that trade imho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad