Value of: Players on your team you wouldn't trade for the 2019 1st OA

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Matthews & Marner are the only two worth more in a vacuum. Due to proximity to a cup and positional necessity I'd also add Rielly and Andersen, maybe on Tavares.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I’m sure he is .....

I`d take Kakko before Ehlers personnally. Marner is better, but with having to pay the guy 10-11M/yr, I´d actually take Kakko if I`m GM in Toronto. I believe Kakko will put up a load of points on Matthews wing. And for a lot cheaper

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I`d take Kakko before Ehlers personnally. Marner is better, but with having to pay the guy 10-11M/yr, I´d actually take Kakko if I`m GM in Toronto. I believe Kakko will put up a load of points on Matthews wing. And for a lot cheaper
you wouldn't. as a gm you can't forever roll your window of contention into the future, else you never win. toronto has a great core group in the same age range. you don't trade one of those core pieces like marner, matthews or rielly.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
From the Leafs it'd be Matthews, Marner and probably Rielly. Maybe add Andersen to that list too

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Penguins: Sid. That's it.

If Malkin were 27 and not 33 I probably wouldn't trade him either. I gave a good amount of thought to Letang as well.

If somehow 1OA were offered for those players I'd have a hard time giving them up. I also would think that it would be a not-great look for the organization to trade them away after the 3 Cups. I laughed when Hawks fans said Toews but then I reflected that they were probably thinking the same thing: those players deserve the right to leave the organization on their own terms. But I'd try to get them to see "their own terms" as being outside the organization then.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
you wouldn't. as a gm you can't forever roll your window of contention into the future, else you never win. toronto has a great core group in the same age range. you don't trade one of those core pieces like marner, matthews or rielly.

Toronto has a relatively young core and Kakko will be able to contribute right away. They would also have capspace to sign Kapanen, Johansson and a good D with the move. I`d do it, but I dont expect everyone to do the same.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Toronto has a relatively young core and Kakko will be able to contribute right away. They would also have capspace to sign Kapanen, Johansson and a good D with the move. I`d do it, but I dont expect everyone to do the same.
3 years of ELC and I think he will be better than Marner.

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
Montreal- Kotkaniemi since he’s adjusted well.

Everyone else including price is fair

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Pettersson and mayyyyyybbbbbeeeee Horvat (blah blah blah leadership blah blah intangibles).

Hughes, Demko, Boeser and anyone else would be fair game.

hellvetet

Oct 2, 2015
For the Blues this feels like a real limbo question. Are they prepared to go all the way with their current core or not?

I feel they have what it takes currently and therefore I would not trade Pietrangelo, Tarasenko, O'Reilly or Parayko for the pick right now. If the Blues were heading for a slight re-tool, I'd expose Tarasenko and O'Reilly. Both Pietrangelo and Parayko play a game that usually ages well so I am confident they would be more impactful than Hughes/Kakko for the hopefully meaningful years. O'Reilly has a tricky contract structure for the supposed contending years. For Tarasenko I have no tangible explanation. Somehow I do not see his style aging gracefully. If his skating, explosiveness or bull-dozing mentality takes a dip, he just can not release that many high danger wristers.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Hughes is small. He's going to get knocked around quite a bit in the NHL.

For Buffalo, Eichel, Dahlin

Weast

May 16, 2011
Hughes is small. He's going to get knocked around quite a bit in the NHL.

For Buffalo, Eichel, Dahlin
They said that about Gaudreau. They said that about Debrincat. Something tells me Hughes is going to be okay considered he is listed at 5'10, which isn't even that small

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

The chances he cna contribute right away, to the extent marner can, are slim to none.

The odds are against him EVER doing what marner does.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Some of the answers I’m seeing of what people wouldn’t trade for a potential 100 point 1st line center shows me why nontrades are ever agreed upon on this site. Wow you guys rate your players HIGHLY lmao

Emphasis on the word "potential". Jack Hughes is not a generational type player. If he becomes a consistent 75-80 point player, his owners will be very satisfied.

You are overrating the value of Hughes, who is not even guaranteed to be drafted 1st overall.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Habs fan, likely nobody I wouldn't trade for Hughes. Kotkaniemi is the only guy I'd need to take even a second to think about. I'm not really a prospect guy so I don't know much about Hughes and the gap between him and Kotkaniemi but by the sounds of it he projects to be a pretty special player. I'm a huge fan of Kotkaniemi too but I'm not sure he has elite center potential and if Hughes has elite potential (which to the best of my knowledge he does) then I make the trade.

After that there's nobody on the roster I wouldn't trade for 1OA unless Hughes and Kakko both got hit by a bus the day before the draft.

Last edited:

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Emphasis on the word "potential". Jack Hughes is not a generational type player. If he becomes a consistent 75-80 point player, his owners will be very satisfied.

You are overrating the value of Hughes, who is not even guaranteed to be drafted 1st overall.
Have you seen some kind of the guys people saying they wouldn’t trade... it’s worth the risk even if he doesn’t on out. People are under rating him if anything

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Have you seen some kind of the guys people saying they wouldn’t trade... it’s worth the risk even if he doesn’t on out. People are under rating him if anything
He's not even guaranteed to go #1. You are treating him like a 100 point player, which is unlikely.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016

For most people, the fear of losing a trade outweighs the chance to win a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad