Player height/weights that shock you

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Zach Hyman is much bigger than i thought. he is 6'1, 213 pounds according to hockeydb. I always thought he was much smaller.

During the handshake line between Tampa/New Jersey, you could really see the size difference of Brian Boyle compared to everyone else. The man is a mountain.

Marchand looked tiny even compared to Bergeron. I never knew he was so small

Galactico

Feb 17, 2016
Canada
I am actually surprised that NHL players are given 1-2 inches on the real heights. I know the NBA does a lot, but I didn’t know they were doing it in the NHL.

Makes sense because I was always wondering how Subban, who is about my height and body shape as me (I am 5’11” 185lbs) was listed at 210 pounds. He is listed at 6’0” so that inch does make a difference but not for 35 lbs.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Ryan Ellis 5’8 laying down.

Gudas is a solid 5’10.

Malkin’s weight does not surprise me since he skips leg day routinely lmao.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
idk why Crosby being 5'11 trips me out.
I passed him outside of the Igloo during his second or third season and he wasn't much taller than me.

I'm about 5' 7", so my guess would be he's somewhere around 5' 8"-ish.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Gaudreau listed at 5'9" when he's closer to 4'9".
His weight doesn't help him look any bigger. Zuccarello is like 5'6'ish but his frame allows him to look slightly bigger on the ice. (Slightly)

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Ovechkin/Malkin

One of them is lying about they’re height as they are both listed as 6’3” but in every photo they have together Malkin has atleast 2 inches on Ovi.

My guess is Ovi is actually 6’2” and Malkin is actually 6’4”...

ovi-malkin.jpg

Oh damn you're right

edit: or not

Last edited:
Reactions: AnimalFear

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I've always thought Malkin must be 6'4 and over 200 pounds. There's no way he's not.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
nothing suprises me. Heigths and weights are boosted.

Hockey players aren't freak in any mean in the muscle and size departement and they don't need to be. people stating malkin is only 200pounds. The guy is hella skinny, you seeing them in hockey equipement makes you a perspective of them being bigger than they actually are and you can't compare one player to an other with their equipement on because one guy will prefer higher shoulder pad, some will like smaller équipement for better movement etc...

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Charlie Coyle is 6'3 220. It shocks me every time I see it cause he plays like he's 5'10 180.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I am actually surprised that NHL players are given 1-2 inches on the real heights. I know the NBA does a lot, but I didn’t know they were doing it in the NHL.

Makes sense because I was always wondering how Subban, who is about my height and body shape as me (I am 5’11” 185lbs) was listed at 210 pounds. He is listed at 6’0” so that inch does make a difference but not for 35 lbs.

The inch doesn't, but body composition does. Muscle is more dense than fat, and I'd bet my next paycheck that Subban has more muscle in the similar body size. THAT can easily make up 35lbs.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I thought the general rule of thumb was to take off about 2" from the heights listed on NHL.com .

Pretty sure the weights are way off too, as those fluctuate a lot, and probably never get updated after draft (same as height)

I never heard that rule. :laugh:

I think a lot of shorter players have an inch - or 2 or 3 - added. Otherwise they are probably pretty accurate. Weights are an other story.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I never heard that rule. :laugh:

I think a lot of shorter players have an inch - or 2 or 3 - added. Otherwise they are probably pretty accurate. Weights are an other story.

It's more common for a tall player to get away with adding inches, because the taller you are the less % is being added per inch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad