Player height/weights that shock you

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
malkin being booked at under 200 while being 6’3 surprises me

kinda just looks like a stocky player whos a complete beast on the ice but thats a relatively lanky height/weight for a hockey player

Malkin just has a big head and face.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
The weights are one thing, but I think the perception and reality of height has more to do with skating style/puckhandling style (while skating). Some guys seem "bigger" when carrying the puck or skating because that's how they lead their body during their play. Then you see them stand upright and your perception can be completely altered.

dre2112

Jul 17, 2007
US and A
I thought the general rule of thumb was to take off about 2" from the heights listed on NHL.com .

Pretty sure the weights are way off too, as those fluctuate a lot, and probably never get updated after draft (same as height)

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
I tend to forget that Crosby is much shorter than McDavid. Their play styles do not match their heights.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
The series ending handshake really illustrates the height issue with some players.

Girard and Andrighetto are both listed as 5'10". Girard doesn't look 5'10" and Andrighetto is at least a couple inches shorter than is Girard....

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Mikko Koivu for a long time was listed 6'2". He always looked a lot bigger than most guys listed the same. Now he is 6'3" at NHL.com, which is about his realistic height 189cm.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Ovechkin/Malkin

One of them is lying about they’re height as they are both listed as 6’3” but in every photo they have together Malkin has atleast 2 inches on Ovi.

My guess is Ovi is actually 6’2” and Malkin is actually 6’4”...

Ovie 6’1” Malkin 6’3”

Reactions: Alves

ECBBW

Jun 29, 2014
Sydney
I bet a lot of people don’t realize Sidney Crosby and Jeff Skinner are the same height and weight.

I legitimately would never have picked that. The height is unsurprising but I always thought Skinner looked quite slight whereas Crosby looks very stocky.

I suspect that hockey players tend to be “bottom heavy” so getting a sense of how much they weight can be tough if you only ever see them in bulky equipment or being interviewed.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Mitch Marner is around 5'10 and 165lbs, no matter what the team lists him as. It's amazing how he dominates opposing players out there, being that small.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad