Player height/weights that shock you

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think heights and weights are fluctuated around the league. Some I think are right but mosr are probably wrong by an inch or 2.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
After his 3rd goal of the first round, I was shocked to hear Randy Hahn (Sharks announcer) call Marcus Sorensen the smallest player on the Sharks. I checked and he is listed as 5’11, 175 lbs; there are two other players listed as 5’11 on the roster but both are heavier.

He seems so much taller than Joe Pavelski, Kevin LaBanc, and Joakim Ryan (all listed at 5’11), but maybe that is just because he is thinner and lankier. At any rate, the Sharks’ numbers make them seem like a massive team - 5’11, 175 lbs is huge for the team’s smallest player. But watching them, they don’t really strike me as a massive team.

Patrick Marleau and Joe Thornton are the same height. Joe Thornton always looks like a giant wizard out there lol, Marleau definitely isn’t the same size as him.

Last edited:

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
I passed him outside of the Igloo during his second or third season and he wasn't much taller than me.

I'm about 5' 7", so my guess would be he's somewhere around 5' 8"-ish.
I've always thought he's around my height at 5'9ish but didn't he measure 5'10.5" at the combine?

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Okposo is only 6ft.

It’s common for people to view black men as bigger than white men even when the same size. On the other side of the spectrum, Asian men of the same size are seen as smaller. I think Nick Suzuki was unfairly labeled a “physically” player due to his surname, despite his legs being tree trunks.

Study: We think black men are bigger than white men - CNN

Tyler Ennis is 5' 9" and 175 lbs even though he has no legs.

He’s listed at 5’9. In reality he’s probably under 5’7.

Yep. Same as the NFL they add a couple of inches and a some pounds

As someone who played Division 1 College football, I can assure you most of those guys are what they are listed as. I’m 6’3 (and actually 6’3, I lie on dating sites it’s 6’5) and played at 275lbs and was undersized compared to most tackles. Granted, NFL players are far more likely to use AAS and GH

Last edited:

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Makes sense because I was always wondering how Subban, who is about my height and body shape as me (I am 5’11” 185lbs) was listed at 210 pounds. He is listed at 6’0” so that inch does make a difference but not for 35 lbs.

You are more than likely vastly underestimating the amount of lower body muscle he has in comparison to you, even if you workout.

Kessel at 6'0 200. Looks more like 5'10 205 or so. He's stocky, which makes him look shorter.

From my understanding Kessel still has to take certain medications post Cancer that cause him to retain water and look more bloated than his actual athletisisn would indicate.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Regarding Ovechkin and Malkin, when they were measured on the KHL.ru, which is most often pretty accurate, AO was 189 cm (6'2 and a bit) and Geno 192 cm (6'3.5) and only 86 kg (190 lbs). Ovechkin also has a pretty bad posture that can make him appear shorter.

What blows my mind is Burakovsky being 6'3, 201 lbs.
Patrick Marleau and Joe Thornton are the same height. Joe Thornton always looks like a giant wizard out there lol, Marleau definitely isn’t the same size as him.
No, they are not.

Reactions: Lays

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Regarding Ovechkin and Malkin, when they were measured on the KHL.ru, which is most often pretty accurate, AO was 189 cm (6'2 and a bit) and Geno 192 cm (6'3.5) and only 86 kg (190 lbs). Ovechkin also has a pretty bad posture that can make him appear shorter.

That makes sense, also Ovechkin is really thick built with wide shoulders making him appear shorter

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Duchene not even being 6ft is trippy to me. Plays and looks much bigger on the ice, just like Sidney does.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Ovechkin/Malkin

One of them is lying about they’re height as they are both listed as 6’3” but in every photo they have together Malkin has atleast 2 inches on Ovi.

My guess is Ovi is actually 6’2” and Malkin is actually 6’4”...
Agreed with this, Malkin is clearly a lot taller:
malkin_ovechkin.jpg

ovi-malkin.jpg

malkin_ovechkin.jpg

I think 6’4” and 6’2” are reasonable guesses. Also, no way Malkin is only 195 lbs, he’s a fairly skinny dude, but not THAT skinny. I’d guess 6’4” 210-215 lbs, not the 6’3” 195 lbs he’s listed at. He’s noticeably bigger and stronger than every NHLer except the true giants.

When they played together, Geno always looked basically the same size/build as Jordan Staal and Ryan Whitney, who were both listed at 6’4”, 210-220 lbs:
p-493363-evgeni-malkin-jordan-staal-ryan-whitney-autographed-hand-signed-framed-8x10-pho-hc-tujfiplefv.jpg

Last edited:

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
this thread just reminded me how stupid the US standard system of measurement is. Metric system is far superior, it's in multiples of 10. You Canadians and Euro's count your belssings.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
this thread just reminded me how stupid the US standard system of measurement is. Metric system is far superior, it's in multiples of 10. You Canadians and Euro's count your belssings.

Canada is really half-way when it comes to measurements.

On one hand I don't know anyone that uses meters and kilos as unit measurements for people. Always in feet and pounds.

But no one speaks of distance in miles. Only in kilometers.

No one talks of outside whether in Fahrenheit. But pool water temperature? Always in Fahrenheit.

And the forestry/lumber industry being somewhat co-dependent between the two countries, almost anything related to the construction industry isn't in metric since we tend to adapt to the US.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Simmonds looks 6'5" for some reason. Was shocked to learn he's "only" 6'2".

Oddly, we found out how big Filip Chytil is like 5 hours after the draft. For a kid with such freakish size, it just wasn't a talking point when he was selected. They said he has hockey sense and speed, which he does, but somehow they forgot to mention he's 205 lbs at 18.
One more thing on this, Chytil was actually 17 at the time of the draft lol. Two weeks away from 2018 eligibility so he was 6’2 205 at 17

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
I was thinking the same thing about Simmonds. What surprised me even more is that he's listed at only 185 lbs - the guy plays like crash-bang power forward. He probably looks tall because he's so skinny.

and his legs make 5'10 of his total height

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad