Player Discussion: Jared McCann

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Here's a full article devoted to Jared McCann's attitude. Certainly some red flag issues but in the end it still comes down to whether or not he will become a distraction in the room for the Panthers. If he's a kid that doesn't do well with a heavy hand, then he will hate the Cats. While Gallant is not one to call out players to the press, I would bet he has no patience for guys who would give him that **** off look after a criticism. He will find out very quickly that it's a good way to get yourself scratched. Also, guys like Thornton wouldn't think twice about putting him against a locker for mouthing off. This team is run by guys who have a military type mind where you will get called out for screwing up. Tom Rowe leads the charge as GM with Eric Joyce close on his heals as a graduate of WP. He will be held accountable for his actions both on and off the ice.

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-t...-like-lonely-star-says-andrey-pedan-1.2266811

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I'd imagine guys like Dorsett & Prust would say something to him if his 'character' got out of hand.

-ghoste

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Here's a full article devoted to Jared McCann's attitude. Certainly some red flag issues but in the end it still comes down to whether or not he will become a distraction in the room for the Panthers. If he's a kid that doesn't do well with a heavy hand, then he will hate the Cats. While Gallant is not one to call out players to the press, I would bet he has no patience for guys who would give him that **** off look after a criticism. He will find out very quickly that it's a good way to get yourself scratched. Also, guys like Thornton wouldn't think twice about putting him against a locker for mouthing off. This team is run by guys who have a military type mind where you will get called out for screwing up. Tom Rowe leads the charge as GM with Eric Joyce close on his heals as a graduate of WP. He will be held accountable for his actions both on and off the ice.

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-t...-like-lonely-star-says-andrey-pedan-1.2266811

He also just turned 20 so he's still a young kid. I'm not too worried about his character.

The competition at training camp is going to be nuts.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
And this is why we have these veterans around to help ease this kid in with his MINOR attitude problems. Personally I like that the kid wants to be a go to guy and wants the puck. We need some of that on this team. Plus him being around our team he will learn real quick who the bosses are. If anyone thinks this kid is gonna try and be a big boy around Jagr then they are mistaken.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Igor Eronko @IgorEronko
Andrei Pedan to Sport-Express: 'McCann was the only guy in #Canucks I couldn't get along. Sometimes he acted like he's the lonely star here'

:laugh: That's awesome. I don't know if I have ever heard a rookie beak another rookie after a trade. Though it's been brought up a couple of times this year that he's maybe a little surly. What really makes it funny is that Pedan doesn't seem to realize or care that Guddy makes him fall a notch down the depth chart and pretty well locks down the Canucks NHL RHD for the foreseeable future.

I can tell you there is one team that will not be interested in reuniting Pedan with a couple of former Canuck teammates :laugh:

Good article from Pass It To Bullis about what's probably the reality of the situation. Sorta compares it to the Seguin deal and says Florida got the hockey play and Vancouver got the character guy that will fit in better at the team picnic.

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/jared-mccann-acted-like-lonely-star-says-andrey-pedan-1.2266811

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
I'd imagine guys like Dorsett & Prust would say something to him if his 'character' got out of hand.

-ghoste

Funny story about Prust. Last season he returned from an ankle injury and was an absolute tire fire. He showed no signs of improving after several games. Eventually the coaching staff decided to sit him for a game in favour of playing Virtanen.

He didn't take it well. He apparently threw a fit when he learned he was scratched. Walked out of the morning skate and made sure the media members saw him doing it.

So before the game starts we learn from the coach that Prust would indeed play, and Virtanen would sit. The reason given was that Prust had some people at the game(@NYR) and he thought Prust would play a good game. He didn't. It was an awful night for Prust. He was waived the next day and cleared.

For all the character Prust supposedly had, he threw a tantrum when he got scratched, then did sweet F all when he was given a chance to redeem himself.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Funny story about Prust. Last season he returned from an ankle injury and was an absolute tire fire. He showed no signs of improving after several games. Eventually the coaching staff decided to sit him for a game in favour of playing Virtanen.

He didn't take it well. He apparently threw a fit when he learned he was scratched. Walked out of the morning skate and made sure the media members saw him doing it.

So before the game starts we learn from the coach that Prust would indeed play, and Virtanen would sit. The reason given was that Prust had some people at the game(@NYR) and he thought Prust would play a good game. He didn't. It was an awful night for Prust. He was waived the next day and cleared.

For all the character Prust supposedly had, he threw a tantrum when he got scratched, then did sweet F all when he was given a chance to redeem himself.

Maybe his wife and TV cameras flew in for that game :sarcasm::shakehead

That dude and his wife/fiancé on Hockey Wives. Just weird.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I'm pretty sure a few talks with Jagr will get his head straight ;)

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Didn't Smith also have "character issues"? Funny how this always happens after a player is traded.

I'd reckon that Smith's character-issues might have stemmed from not being equally vocal compared to the rest of 'em in the locker room. I'd be more wary of a guy who might insist that bieber's "music" should be played in the locker room. :sarcasm:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Didn't Smith also have "character issues"? Funny how this always happens after a player is traded.
I guess anything is possible, but that would shock me. If you got any good gossip, I'm all ears.:)

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Older article on McCann written before his 2014-15 season in the OHL. He went on to score 34 goals and 47 assists for 81 points that season.

I really don't see there being an issue with him. Honestly I see it being quite the opposite. Despite being limited on the ice, things sounded positive during development camp. In the Pokemon video, it seems like he bulked up a little like he said he wanted to last season (appears bigger than 180 pounds at least). I personally think he'll earn a spot on that 3rd line and hopefully some 2nd PP unit time. And our room sounds like it's awesome so he's in good hands there.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/why-jared-mccann-is-the-real-win-from-ryan-kesler-trade/

-ghoste

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I'd reckon that Smith's character-issues might have stemmed from not being equally vocal compared to the rest of 'em in the locker room. I'd be more wary of a guy who might insist that bieber's "music" should be played in the locker room. :sarcasm:

That was another bone of contention among the brass here. IIRC McCann's from the same hometown as the Beebster, and apparently he was enabler that got Virtanen into a Bieber concert and had them posting instagram selfies together.

*shocked gasp*

But seriously, the Canucks handled McCann about as well as they've handled everything else the last couple of years. McCann does have that edge to his personality; you can see it on the ice here and there. That Kesler-ish in your face attitude. He's just too young, light and weak to pull it off yet. When he gets enough bulk, strength and experience though...look out. Could very easily see him being Kesler v2.0. Only McCann's shot is already where it took Kesler years as a pro to reach.

The passive-aggressive sniping about him here (Vancouver) comes as precisely zero surprise to me.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
That was another bone of contention among the brass here. IIRC McCann's from the same hometown as the Beebster, and apparently he was enabler that got Virtanen into a Bieber concert and had them posting instagram selfies together.

*shocked gasp*

But seriously, the Canucks handled McCann about as well as they've handled everything else the last couple of years. McCann does have that edge to his personality; you can see it on the ice here and there. That Kesler-ish in your face attitude. He's just too young, light and weak to pull it off yet. When he gets enough bulk, strength and experience though...look out. Could very easily see him being Kesler v2.0. Only McCann's shot is already where it took Kesler years as a pro to reach.

The passive-aggressive sniping about him here (Vancouver) comes as precisely zero surprise to me.
He's apparently added quite a bit of bulk this offseason...

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I just need to know whether his legs are thicker than Guds' stick figure calves. If they are, we won the trade, no need to lace up.

HockeyRulez

Panthers hockey since 1993
Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
This dude has potential to be one of the best if not the best goal-scorer on the team and we have some people in here criticizing him already without even playing in a regular game... come on people..

tolsen3

Apr 21, 2014
This dude has potential to be one of the best if not the best goal-scorer on the team and we have some people in here criticizing him already without even playing in a regular game... come on people..

pump the brakes :)

Bure1022*

Thoughts About Jared McCann?

So far what are your thoughts on the kid?

I think he's been invisible and I said it then and I'll say it now that they made a huge mistake trading Gudy.

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
He's trash. Maybe one day he will be good, but he sure isn't right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad