HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
http://youtu.be/9gxSdfv5ewM

http://youtu.be/iT74fJrro74

*Mods please embed, thanks!*

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/04/24/year-ahl-best-thing-jared-mccann/

I thought I'd start this thread as I was good luck with the last one... Reilly Smith. I'm getting similar vibes in the off season to this deal (not a fit anymore, "character" issues, needs to improve on his game ).

It's so nice to be a panthers fan now compared to back in the day. We used to be reclamation projects for garbage over the hill players. Now send us your character problem players that have talent and we'll turn them into a great player with a complete attitude overhaul. I do like McCann though. His shot is a huge asset to this team.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I'm glad someone finally tried to praise McCann, instead of crying over losing Gudbranson...

Here are his highlights from his "disappointing" draft-year:

And here are his best goals from his draft+1 year:

Kid has the crazy shot, the great wheels and amazing hockey-IQ. He is also pretty high on two-way play and being a hard-worker.

He looks like the future goalscorer we've been asking for years... Just give him a chance and some patience.

We've been crying for a goalscorer, and now that we may have our best bet, people are upset because we lost intangibles...

In McCann I trust ! ;)

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
What are the analytics for this guy? I read on the NHL Trade forum that as bad as Guds was for us, McCann's advanced stats wasn't that great for the Nucks either in his rookie season.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
What are the analytics for this guy? I read on the NHL Trade forum that as bad as Guds was for us, McCann's advanced stats wasn't that great for the Nucks either in his rookie season.

A rookie, playing on a bad Vancouver team, is expected. A five year player playing for one of the best teams in the East, is bad.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver

The team was just awful. Bad play, bad management, bad everything. Other than having the Sedins to follow as pro role models he never should have been there. The defense especially could not have been worse for a young offensive player, not only do they suck at moving the puck but unless Tanev is on the ice they are going to need a lot of help from the C, too.

Reminded me a bit of Tro's season last year, you could see there was something there when he had the puck but most of the year he looked 'off' away from the puck. Not behind the play or slow, but would pick up the wrong guy or chase a puck too far and get caught by a stretch pass. It will come together, his hockey sense is too good not to. If he's moved to the wing lots of his issues go away and he can just focus on getting stronger, which is his biggest issue, imho.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013

Consensus is he was rushed and not physically ready for the NHL. He said he is up to 196 lbs already this summer so strength shouldn't be an issue this year.

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
You know what I was actually thinking about, Alex Gudbranson captained the Soo didn't he? McCann and Gudbranson probably know each other

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
You know what I was actually thinking about, Alex Gudbranson captained the Soo didn't he? McCann and Gudbranson probably know each other

Don't think he ever did. Might have had an A. Darnell Nurse was captain during those years IIRC. They played together for at least 2 seasons though.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
It's gonna be Dryden Hunt vs Jarred McCann during training camp. McCann has the edge since he has an NHL campaign under his belt, but we'll see what happens.

Both similar styles going for the role of sniper. Gonna be an interesting battle. Competition will bring out the best in these two. You gotta love it.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Vancouver's presser at the end of the season. McCann talked about his season, summer goals, etc. He seems like a pretty timid guy. He said he had a hot start and confidence was tough to maintain. He got disappointed in his production level since it wasn't on par with his junior numbers.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I see no issues as of now with him as a winger (look at highlights of him coming down that wing on some of those goals, wow). Keep Bjugstad at centre, if this season it does not seem to click move Bjugstad to RW which is needed position on top line and/or 3rd line where McCann can play that 3C spot. Also with Barkov/Tro injury, he gets time at C or Jussi Jokinen. McCann or Jokinen, versatile options.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Igor Eronko @IgorEronko
Andrei Pedan to Sport-Express: 'McCann was the only guy in #Canucks I couldn't get along. Sometimes he acted like he's the lonely star here'

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Igor Eronko @IgorEronko
Andrei Pedan to Sport-Express: 'McCann was the only guy in #Canucks I couldn't get along. Sometimes he acted like he's the lonely star here'

They must not account for #character in our analytics department :sarcasm:

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Igor Eronko @IgorEronko

Considering the kid has been training with the Sedins since the end of the season, trying to bulk up and all that...

IMO Vancouver are in a far worse situation than us if Pedan is one of their leaders and main players... Guess with his skills-set, Andrei will be a fan and get along Gudbranson quite well... :sarcasm:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Igor Eronko @IgorEronko
Seems to be some attitude problems seeping down through the pipeline. Unfortunately not all players are humble and good guys ie: Drouin.

It concerns me from a point of chemistry, but as long as he is giving 110% and is not lazy or a party boy, then I think it's something the team can live with. What you look for is a solid 2 way player who knows how to use his linemates and is not a distraction to the focus of the team.

Pedan is an archaic thug who really doesn't seem to like anyone. Not saying he's wrong, but he's the last person with any credibility here.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
I've been changing my mind on the whole "leadership and character" within sports. Show me a losing team with good leadership and a winning team with bad leadership. I think there are certainly exceptions but I think the factor of winning makes more of a impact on that aspect than a single player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad