Player Discussion: Jared McCann

Miami Panther

Jun 24, 2006
Miami, FL
So far what are your thoughts on the kid?

I think he's been invisible and I said it then and I'll say it now that they made a huge mistake trading Gudy.

I don't think he's been 'invisible.' Sure he hasn't lit the lamp yet and hasn't contributed much offensively, but you must be patient and give him time to find his stride. You can't expect a guy like him to immediately start potting ginos like they're going out of style. Unrealistic.

Miami Panther

Jun 24, 2006
Miami, FL
To elaborate, guddy was an established player...we knew what we were getting night in and night out. McCann is not established, nor does he have much experience in the NHL (72 GP). Give the man a break.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
He doesnt use his body enough in my opinion.

He needs to shoot more. His shot is impressive. Should maybe get a shot on the pp on the right wing

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
Coaching staff will take their time with the kid. You don't just throw him to the sharks and judge based on a sink or swim philosophy. Not at his age.

bweisz16

Dec 4, 2015
Longtime lurker here, posting for the first time (and I mean long time, been reading since the days of Van Murph on the old panthers.com boards if that means anything to anyone haha).

I really like McCann, having watched him live on opening night the skill is there and you can see the upside. But the one thing I will say is, that to my uneducated hockey eye he looks how Tro looked when he tried to play on the wing. I think he is a natural center and is trying to make the switch at the highest competition level and he looks uncomfortable. Which leads me to ask, why we traded for a center? Outside of his skill and high upside it seems like a tough fit, though I really like the kid and am rooting for him to succeed!

I'll post again in another few years! Go Cats :yo:

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
He doesnt use his body enough in my opinion.

He needs to shoot more. His shot is impressive. Should maybe get a shot on the pp on the right wing

Yeah his shot is lethal. First game on the rush he broke the defender's stick getting a shot off. He's been settling in well, drew penalties so far and had some excellent shifts with Malgin.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I was harsh on McCann first 2 games, but he settled in nicely the last game and no longer looks like a fish out of water. I don't mind if he doesn't score but at least don't look totally lost out there. He was good in game 3 and you can tell he has a boatload of skill.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
He has been good considering his ice time, just about 10min per night- of course he's not going to be very visible. I don't understand the criticism he is getting.

Ekblad

Mar 10, 2010
Miami, Florida
Longtime lurker here, posting for the first time (and I mean long time, been reading since the days of Van Murph on the old panthers.com boards if that means anything to anyone haha).

I really like McCann, having watched him live on opening night the skill is there and you can see the upside. But the one thing I will say is, that to my uneducated hockey eye he looks how Tro looked when he tried to play on the wing. I think he is a natural center and is trying to make the switch at the highest competition level and he looks uncomfortable. Which leads me to ask, why we traded for a center? Outside of his skill and high upside it seems like a tough fit, though I really like the kid and am rooting for him to succeed!

I'll post again in another few years! Go Cats :yo:

Oh I 'member

tenor.gif

tolsen3

Apr 21, 2014
He needs to be in the AHL. Let him get big time minutes down there will be more beneficial to his long term development.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
I was harsh on McCann first 2 games, but he settled in nicely the last game and no longer looks like a fish out of water. I don't mind if he doesn't score but at least don't look totally lost out there. He was good in game 3 and you can tell he has a boatload of skill.

This is what I saw, more or less. Getting settled and has looked better each game. McCann Malgin March for dat M&M&M line :sarcasm:

As outstanding as his release is he's no slouch passing either, and the hustle is there.

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
I think he has done OK, but I also find him to be the easiest player to drop on the team right now. The biggest issue I have with the 3rd line is that they have no one that is good at taking draws. Both McCann and Malgin have way to low %, so I hope to see Bjugstad back soon. Then we will see if McCann or Malgin is the best option with Bjug/Sceviour.

I don't think McCann would be a fit on the 4th line. Without injuries he probably would have started in the AHL, and I still think that is the best for him at this point in time. I won't write him off at all yet though. Still young and he certainly has the talent to make it, no doubt in my mind.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
He looks to be pretty good defensively. I'd like to see him get a couple of scoring chances to see what he can do. He probably would benefit from first line ice time in the AHL.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i still think, like trocheck, he's probably a lot more effective at his natural position at center. though I'm not moving malgin out of that spot. i wouldnt mind him getting top minutes in the ahl. he's still really young and was rushed by vancouver, theres nothing wrong with sending him down, he's still developing.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
i still think, like trocheck, he's probably a lot more effective at his natural position at center. though I'm not moving malgin out of that spot. i wouldnt mind him getting top minutes in the ahl. he's still really young and was rushed by vancouver, theres nothing wrong with sending him down, he's still developing.

i totally agree but i don't want him sent down now with huby, bjugs & juicy j out

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I honestly expected more out of him.

As it stands kind of disappointed in guds return.

I think McCann has the tools just not the compete level.

Give it some more time I suppose.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
McCann needs to go down to the AHL. Looks totally ineffective. He needs to regain his confidence or possibly play center. At times he reminds me of Pirri but then he will make a heady defensive play to pick the pocket of someone. If we had a healthy lineup, I would be shocked if he was still in the NHL.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Again, the guy is playing 10min a night and imo looked good in the offensive zone. I don't know how you guys can judge him based on him playing fourth line plug minutes.

Defensively he does need to do some work.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
The third line needs to score some goals.
McCann looks better out there than Rau, but that's not saying much. I wonder if swapping Rau and McCann in the lineup would improve both guys play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->