Player Discussion: Jared McCann

Miami Panther

Jun 24, 2006
Miami, FL
I've seen good stuff from him but he plays so little it's really hard to get a complete picture. He has ridiculously short shifts sometimes. I can imagine for a young guy trying to break into the league it's not the easiest thing to do when you don't have much rhythm in your game.

Agreed. It can't be helping his confidence either.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
I've seen good stuff from him but he plays so little it's really hard to get a complete picture. He has ridiculously short shifts sometimes. I can imagine for a young guy trying to break into the league it's not the easiest thing to do when you don't have much rhythm in your game.

i don't relly care how short his shift are. apparently he's nor earning more ice time. he's a non factor. 0 points so for.
he & rau needs to be sent back as soon as jokinen & bjugstad are ready to go.

.. cue the 5 point game from mccann tonight

Swede93

Sep 14, 2009
Wouldn't mind seeing the below top 9 when they do come back next week. Wouldn't touch the 4th line

Jugs-Sasha-Jags
JTS
March-Malgin-Sceviour

Bjugstad would be a nice complement to the cycle game given his frame, and might help get Jagr going. Malgin and March have already connected on a couple of goals, their speed seems to compliment each other. If the JTS line doesn't get going, can swap March for Jokinen

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Figured this needed a bump.

Thoughts on his year so far?

What contract do you offer him this off-season?

Has he earned the 3C role barring no trade?

Who should he play with next year barring no trade? (assuming only Borgstrom makes team out of prospects)

Reactions: Chaos2k7

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Figured this needed a bump.

Thoughts on his year so far?

What contract do you offer him this off-season?

Has he earned the 3C role barring no trade?

Who should he play with next year barring no trade? (assuming only Borgstrom makes team out of prospects)
His faceoff percentage is atrocious. But I like the overall progress he is making. Sometimes easy to forget how young he is. Due to starting early with the Canucks, feels like he has been around a lot longer than he actually has.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
He has been improving on the draw, and his defensive game is miles better than earlier in the year.

Kid has an elite shot, he just needs the confidence to unleash it. Him and Mamin make for an exciting shift everytime out on the ice, and his position in the nuetral zone and on the back check has improved greatly.

Most young centers struggle on the draw, we are gonna have to see him through the tough times, fortunently he has Barky to take most of the D zone ones.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
For me Jared McCann is a really interistng Person to debatte or discuss to.
For me he is a Cheap 3rd Line Center who has not reached his Limits now. If you only discussing here from the Numbers one thing is clear he double near anything.
Its his secod Season with the Panthers 51 Games that means 14 games missed. But he is doubling all his Numbers, Shots, Shot Attemps, Shot Blocks, Points, Assists, 1 PPG, 6 on even Strength, 3 GWG all that speaks for him. Beside that he is also cheap still RFA only around 900k for 20 Points in 51 Games. When you look around 20-29 Points for a 3rd Line Player is not bad, Kunitz has around his Numbers, Jay Beagle. Plekanec, Boziak The only difference here all the Players are older or already over 30 and McCann still has many Years left.

But now it comes he sucks in the Faceoff circle, not only this Season. Since his Pro Career he never comeing over 40% FO wins. Sure the Numbers went a bit up, but for center udner 40% in teh Circle is bad. Also he has two strong Winger with him, one of them pretty fast, the next upcoming Linemembers could be also better Players. But in a Line that trying to battle he doesnt fit. I mean in the first Part of the Season, he had 2 Linemember who played with him as a Scoreing Line, that is more what he is.

In the last games he played really well in the own part what you could await froma 2 Way Center, but his Game on the other Side of Game creation lacks hard. But in my Eyes could this also come, from the Linemembers he must play with.

Current he show Progress for been stay in the 3rd Line, but he has to work on his Faceoff. But where he could end i dont know, the Panthers getting better and better with the last years Draft. Also there more and more Center on the Teams and comeing in. Who also could work in that Position.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
As long as he's not burdened by Bjugstad, he's gonna be a star!!!

Lol.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
buyout mac's last year and let mccann center line 4 when borgstrom comes in next season (i assume he'll center line 3, sure theres a chance he could be a winger but im not banking on that yet)

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
To me playing Borgstrom at center puts too much pressure on him. He could easily be the 3rd option on one of our scoring lines next season ala Nick or Malgin, but lets see how he looks against the worlds best before we declare anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad