Player Discussion: Jared McCann

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Whats the grape reference?? VanMurph used to post here I believe. If I'm not mistaken hes the superfan who's a pilot, flys to games here in Canada etc.

Grape reference is from the recently released new season of South park. It refers to "nostalgia" as being a selling point of the Trump campaign, "Make America Great Again". The Grapes talk to the individual and remind them of good times and good memories. The individual eats them to feel "great" about the past again, the person then gets addicted to the grapes (nostalgia of the past). Its used in the show as a euphemism of going backwards instead of progressing forward (Democrats, Hillary Clinton, Progressive politics). While funny in the show it carries a political motive as does the entire new season.

Bure1022*

He's been the worst forward on the team so far this season. Invisible every game they've played. I hope he steps up but it's more likely he isn't on the team hopefully traded by next season.

The guy stinks.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
He's been the worst forward on the team so far this season. Invisible every game they've played. I hope he steps up but it's more likely he isn't on the team hopefully traded by next season.

The guy stinks.

Little harsh after only 6 games. He has shown little at this point but he does seem to have good IQ anf thinks game fast... but other than those sporadic flashes yeah, not much.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

The guy stinks.

Pretty ridiculous statement after a year and 6 games.. u can see some tools... he shoukd be in ahl which is fine and perfectly normal for a young player..u don't trade a guy just cause he isn't nhl impact player 2 years after being drafted.. get a grio

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida

The guy stinks.

I hope you're one of our scouts one day. Should be fun to watch.

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013

The guy stinks.

Sadly, I agree. He doesn't belong out there. The Guddy trade was a big step backwards for this team.

BravePackCats27

Jun 19, 2014
Send McCann down bring Hunt up. Let's see what that kid can do. Seems like the kid just scores everywhere he goes.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Good Lord. The guy is a natural C playing 4th line wing right now with Derek MacKenzie and Shane Harper. What do you expect him to do?

BravePackCats27

Jun 19, 2014
And play him 8-10 minutes a game on the 4th line? No thanks.

Uh no he'd play on the 3rd line or give him Rau spot on the 2nd to see what he can do with Tro and Smith while Jokinen is out. Can't do any worse. Kid seems like a scorer with a great shot.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Good Lord. The guy is a natural C playing 4th line wing right now with Derek MacKenzie and Shane Harper. What do you expect him to do?

To be fair, he's on the 3rd line with Sceviour and Malgin but is actually getting 4th line minutes since the 4th line has been getting more time than the 3rd since the start of the season.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
To be fair, he's on the 3rd line with Sceviour and Malgin but is actually getting 4th line minutes since the 4th line has been getting more time than the 3rd since the start of the season.

My bad. Either way, he's playing out of position and with a rookie and a career bottom sixer. From what I've seen, he works hard. Forechecks and backchecks hard and seems fairly responsible. I'm not going to complain after 6 games.

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
It is hard for me to know if he is playing, he is so inconsequential right now, he is invisible.
When Bjustad returns he might be the first one going to the AHL, he needs more seasoning, I am disappointed because he has lots of positive feedback from his previous team, I am really looking forward to see him improve, he appears to have all the tools.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL

This begs the question...why isn't he centering the 3rd line right now? I understand Malgin did well enough to make the team, but with Bjugstad out, how did a Malgin overtake his spot? Is Malgin that far ahead of McCann at center? If playing out of position is so bad for him, why isn't he the 3rd line center so we would have called up a winger (at that point, probably Rau) instead?

I'm rather baffled by it, and yet again as I said in the Tor GDT, I'm also pleased at the same time that it hasn't caused Thornton to get into the lineup.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
I'm quite surprised by the reviews of McCann but it's early days to say the least. He started out very hot for the Canucks during preseason and his first 15-20 games or so but tailed off and slowed down for the rest of his rookie season. He needs seasoning, became quite apparent as his rookie season went on but he's very talented.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I'm quite surprised by the reviews of McCann but it's early days to say the least. He started out very hot for the Canucks during preseason and his first 15-20 games or so but tailed off and slowed down for the rest of his rookie season. He needs seasoning, became quite apparent as his rookie season went on but he's very talented.

He probably needs to play with some skilled Vets to get going at the NHL level.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

Remind me, at center or at wing?

IMO he's a year away from possibly being a full time NHLer.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

The concensus I got from the Canucks board (before he was traded, when opinions are best) is that he has shown flashes of talent but still has a lot to work on. That's what I have seen here.

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
The guy has literally done nothing. He gives you nothing to judge him on, so I will judge him on zero contribution to our team

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
The concensus I got from the Canucks board (before he was traded, when opinions are best) is that he has shown flashes of talent but still has a lot to work on. That's what I have seen here.
He looked promising early; as the season wore on you could tell he was in over his head, and much of that seemed to be related to his relative lack of size/strength. He's a skinny guy who has a lot of filling out to do (or did while he was a Canuck).
I think that is a part of why he was so weak on faceoffs. If he's playing the wing with you guys, I'm thinking the coaching staff feels he's still not strong enough. I also think he will be in tough to play center regularly on a good team until he gets a lot better at faceoffs.

He was smart defensively (esp considering his age/position). He definitely has the talent/creativity to contribute offensively; he's probably lost some confidence at this point (he was oozing confidence early last season when he played his best hockey).

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
He looked promising early; as the season wore on you could tell he was in over his head, and much of that seemed to be related to his relative lack of size/strength. He's a skinny guy who has a lot of filling out to do (or did while he was a Canuck).
I think that is a part of why he was so weak on faceoffs. If he's playing the wing with you guys, I'm thinking the coaching staff feels he's still not strong enough. I also think he will be in tough to play center regularly on a good team until he gets a lot better at faceoffs.

He was smart defensively (esp considering his age/position). He definitely has the talent/creativity to contribute offensively; he's probably lost some confidence at this point (he was oozing confidence early last season when he played his best hockey).

The worst thing is I haven't seen any talent or creativity with the puck. He's just a ghost out there. Does absolutely nothing.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
yeah mccann hasn't been very good so far. he does have potential and is still young but i don't see anything good about him right now. not even small flashes tbh.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
It looks like he has gotten steadily better every game.

He's good defensively. Just needs to commit to winning board battles in the offensive zone.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
yeah mccann hasn't been very good so far. he does have potential and is still young but i don't see anything good about him right now. not even small flashes tbh.

I've seen good stuff from him but he plays so little it's really hard to get a complete picture. He has ridiculously short shifts sometimes. I can imagine for a young guy trying to break into the league it's not the easiest thing to do when you don't have much rhythm in your game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad