GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 16 & 17

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Vaccination is important and will prevent most hospitalization.
Also booster has been proven effective against the mutated strain. Unvaccinated people are highly more at risk on contracting the virus and on being hospitalized because of it.
Has it?

How ill we talking? Who was forced into retirement because of Covid?

Most of the current cases are mild at best. If a player has the flu they aren't forced to quarantine. Jordan won a playoff series with the flu. If these guys aren't symptomatic why are we stopping the games? They are playing outdoors.

Is the flu as contagious as covid?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Probably not missing much.

Likely the last match for a bit.
Feels that way.

Like the last time Eddie Howe came to Anfield. His side scored first that day too. I was there. Strange times.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The proportion of 40% of unvaccinated in hospital is huge since we're at something like 90% vaccinated.

In Finland, most of the patients in the ICUs are unvaccinated. A coworker lost her husband almost two weeks ago on Friday. She's fully vaccinated but her husband wasn't. He was a 61 year old fit healthy man. Two weeks in the ICU sedated. At least it got two unvaccinated co-workers to finally get their shots. Sorry for the off topic.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Most of the current cases are mild at best. If a player has the flu they aren't forced to quarantine. Jordan won a playoff series with the flu. If these guys aren't symptomatic why are we stopping the games? They are playing outdoors.

Doesn't matter if you are asymptomatic. The less people carrying the virus the better. It's simple logic.

Reactions: luiginb

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I can't believe I'm actually stooping to this, but the whole "Jordan played with the flu" is so stupid. The numbers of people who die yearly of that compared to what we are seeing with a significantly more deadly, and transmissible disease is not even in the same ballpark.

Reactions: luiginb

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I understand the general principle of head injury rules. But to be honest, in a quick google search, I can't seem to find specifics.

Is there not some interpretation for the official? If I run into my own man, does the opposition have the onus to stop the play?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I understand the general principle of head injury rules. But to be honest, in a quick google search, I can't seem to find specifics.

Is there not some interpretation for the official? If I run into my own man, does the opposition have the onus to stop the play?
it's quite similar to the De Gea ''injury'' or more like ''going to the ground'' to which Arsenal scored. It was a come together by both defender (own player). The referee can stop play but he did not and Liverpool scored. I think the right call was made. Hayden was clearly not injured and he was looking for a stoppage of play. I do understand the frustration of Newcastle though.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

I believe that head injuries are to be deemed "serious injuries" and refs are supposed to stop play immediately for "serious injuries."

Head injuries aren't specified as an immediate stoppage but are treated the same as serious injuries elsewhere.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I believe that head injuries are to be deemed "serious injuries" and refs are supposed to stop play immediately for "serious injuries."

Head injuries aren't specified as an immediate stoppage but are treated the same as serious injuries elsewhere.

I get that part.

But my question more has to do with how much involves interpretation for the official.

In a clear head injury, obviously, a stoppage makes sense. But in this case, with all three players continuing on, I don't know if it's a clear stoppage. Once again, I'm not trying to be a clown or anything, I just legitimately don't know. I think I get the frustration of Newcastle.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Which is also quite possible because the most vulnerable are most likely fully vaccinated but they are still at risk. But vaccination still in the grand scheme preventing most people from dying compared to unvaccinated.
I’ll think we can agree to disagree, 80% people still dying from covid in UK while being vaccinated are absolutely awful numbers for something that governments want to make mandatory. Especially for a disease that has a 98.2% full recovery rate based on the data released by John Hopkins in September/October.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad