GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 16 & 17

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
80% possession, 10-3 shots on target, 23-5 shot attempts, 1-1 draw. Brutal.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Do I need to rewatch the whole game or are highlights sufficient.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Eddie Howe complaining about player safety, and the player “being dazed” yet he didn’t take him off at all.

I know Klopp leads in the clubhouse for hypocrisy (like most managers) but man, that’s some crazy stuff

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Half of the weekends matches are called off but BBC's story said that Premier League wants the remaining ones to go on.

It feels morbid when if the games continue while other teams can't even field 14 players. I'm for putting the league on hold until the years end.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's much worse for the teams that don't play. They're going to come back and have to jam in games while some of the teams ahead of them gained three points and have a clean fixture list.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's much worse for the teams that don't play. They're going to come back and have to jam in games while some of the teams ahead of them gained three points and have a clean fixture list.
If LFC plays Tottenham when they are supposed to, it’ll be LFC’s third game in a week, while Tottenham will not have played in two weeks

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If LFC plays Tottenham when they are supposed to, it’ll be LFC’s third game in a week, while Tottenham will not have played in two weeks

Yeah, but if it gets promoted then Tottenham has to make it up later, and won't be able to afford to lose. Also none of the players with COVID can train with the team so it isn't exactly advantageous for Tottenham to play immediately after they submit negative tests. I would much rather Liverpool play them now, but playing later doesn't help Tottenham either way. They're screwed.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Yeah, but if it gets promoted then Tottenham has to make it up later, and won't be able to afford to lose. Also none of the players with COVID can train with the team so it isn't exactly advantageous for Tottenham to play immediately after they submit negative tests. I would much rather Liverpool play them now, but playing later doesn't help Tottenham either way. They're screwed.

You're absolutely right. For some reason people seem salty that Spurs have to postpone games due to a covid outbreak and I don't understand why. It's a bad situation no matter how you look at it.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Half of the weekends matches are called off but BBC's story said that Premier League wants the remaining ones to go on.

It feels morbid when if the games continue while other teams can't even field 14 players. I'm for putting the league on hold until the years end.

I doubt that it gets any better in the next few months, it's likely to get worse. A break for couple of weeks will do very little to improve the situation.

If they apply the same criteria all the time regarding postponements, they eventually might have to call off rest of the season, or prolong it for all the matches to be played. So they have just to live it with the best they can to determine the table on actual match results. I'd rather see the matches played, even with weakened teams, than the table decided on some other criteria.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I doubt that it gets any better in the next few months, it's likely to get worse. A break for couple of weeks will do very little to improve the situation.

If they apply the same criteria all the time regarding postponements, they eventually might have to call off rest of the season, or prolong it for all the matches to be played. So they have just to live it with the best they can to determine the table on actual match results. I'd rather see the matches played, even with weakened teams, than the table decided on some other criteria.
I disagree. Looking at SA, it’s very possible this wave is hard and fast.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I disagree. Looking at SA, it’s very possible this wave is hard and fast.

Haven't much followed SA situation, so can't really comment on that. But good for them, if they went from all time high levels in infections, hospitatilions and deaths to Covid being irrelevant within two weeks.

It would be great if that happened in Europe, but I haven't seen those kind of predictions in media (mostly from British, Germany, some French and Nordics that I follow), that a two weeks total lockdown would erase Covid. I've mostly seen grim predictions.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
I'd rather see the matches played, even with weakened teams, than the table decided on some other criteria.

I've understood there's something in the TV contracts that teams cannot play their reserves or field entirely rotation players. Otherwise I think all clubs could put together some kind of team. Like the ones we typically see in Carabao Cup.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Haven't much followed SA situation, so can't really comment on that. But good for them, if they went from all time high levels in infections, hospitatilions and deaths to Covid being irrelevant within two weeks.

It would be great if that happened in Europe, but I haven't seen those kind of predictions in media (mostly from British, Germany, some French and Nordics that I follow), that a two weeks total lockdown would erase Covid. I've mostly seen grim predictions.
Grim predictions sell. SA had very high cases, already dropping though, with not very high hospitalizations or deaths. More contagious, less severe.

We’ll see what happens though

Reactions: luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad