Arsenal x West Ham

Thursday 16 December

Leicester x Tottenham - postponed
Chelsea x Everton
Liverpool x Newcastle

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Spurs game against Rennes has been postponed. Their game against Brighton this weekend is also looking likely to be postponed.

Spurs have eight players out due to COVID. Arsenal had five for the first game of the season and were told to carry on and play. Nice.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Unfortunate that Brighton's game is being pushed back. Premier League setting a precedent here, I hope smaller clubs get the same postponement treatment as COVID gets worse again.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Unfortunate that Brighton's game is being pushed back. Premier League setting a precedent here, I hope smaller clubs get the same postponement treatment as COVID gets worse again.

If it happens in March and the small clubs have no European, EFL and/or FA Cup matches to deal with, why would they? The fact that Spurs have 7 matches in 21 days matter. If Norwich just has a match every 7 days, they shouldn't get the same break.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
If it happens in March and the small clubs have no European, EFL and/or FA Cup matches to deal with, why would they? The fact that Spurs have 7 matches in 21 days matter. If Norwich just has a match every 7 days, they shouldn't get the same break.
The counterargument to this is the classic Chris Wilder "smaller clubs have less money to buy quality depth/rotational options" argument. And I think he does have a point.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The counterargument to this is the classic Chris Wilder "smaller clubs have less money to buy quality depth/rotational options" argument. And I think he does have a point.

If Norwich has 7 matches in 3 weeks and a Covid outbreak, their games should be postponed.

If they have 4 matches in a month.......deal with it.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
If Norwich has 7 matches in 3 weeks and a Covid outbreak, their games should be postponed.

If they have 4 matches in a month.......deal with it.
You could say Spurs have 7 matches in three weeks, use superior squad depth to deal with it.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

Brighton have a lot of injuries so I don't think they mind postponement.

I don't see why other clubs wouldn't get the same treatment. Fulham got games postponed last year.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Does this have anything to do with the fixture congestion? All I have seen is there is a COVID outbreak and that the game is being postponed for that reason.

Now I don't want to make light of a COVID outbreak, these guys all gave families that they don't want to get sick. That being said I wonder if the same accommodations would be given to Brighton, Norwich, Burnley etc.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Does this have anything to do with the fixture congestion? All I have seen is there is a COVID outbreak and that the game is being postponed for that reason..

All UEFA said was:

"We can confirm that the match Tottenham-Rennes will not take place tonight. Further info will follow in due course.”

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Brighton have a lot of injuries so I don't think they mind postponement.

I don't see why other clubs wouldn't get the same treatment. Fulham got games postponed last year.
Definitely injured but that problem will remain for some time, unfortunately, sounding like a few players have injuries that are likely to linger. Would have been nice to get a game against a weaker Spurs team as bad as that sounds. I'm just thinking opportunistically here as Brighton has completed the last 2 games with only 10 men due to injuries. Would be nice to have a game where the personal challenges are level.

That's a fair point on the Fulham thing, I forgot about that one.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
UEFA had not postponed the game yet at this point. This statement was essentially made to put pressure on UEFA to postpone the game or Spurs would refuse to play and forfeit.
Ohh okay - I was under the impression that the game had in fact been canceled. I wonder what the angle is from UEFA to post what @spintheblackcircle mentioned above.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It has been cancelled. It hadn't yet when Spurs put out the statement.
On one hand, I clearly cannot read today.

On the other, I don't think it matters when Spurs posted that tweet. It clearly says the game is being canceled due to COVID which was the initial debate.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
UEFA had not postponed the game yet at this point. This statement was essentially made to put pressure on UEFA to postpone the game or Spurs would refuse to play and forfeit.

Uefa wanted to make sure and see medical evidence that Spurs absentees are enough according to rules, which state that if clubs have 13 fit players on their A list, including a goalkeeper, they must play. It's probably a money issue as well, since a Premier League representative at the knockout stage for this new competition, means more income for everyone, so they wouldn't want a fortfeit in any circumstances.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Emmanuel Dennis is certainly making his case for Fantasy PL player of the year.

Goal seemed a bit against the run of play but Brentford is so depleted right now

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If this holds for Watford. it will shape up to be one of those results you remember as a team right above the drop zone.

Puts them 6 points up and drags much of the mid-table closer

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2