GWT: PL Matchweek around New Years

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
Odegaard penalty shout is 50/50, on-field decision was always going to stand.

Bernardo went down easy, but Xhaka was stupid to stick his leg out after he was beaten, and even more stupid to grab a handful of shirt with one hand while protesting innocence with the other. He invited Bernardo to go down

Speaking of stupid, Gabriel getting himself booked for messing with the penalty spot results in him getting sent off, after he'd got himself booked he can't make that challenge on the half way line he's got to have better in game awareness than that.

When it comes to VAR, pundits/commentators not understanding it leads to fans not understanding it, if they don't know how it works replace them with someone who does because as people get a better understanding of how it works it would become less controversial.

Reactions: gary69 and luiginb

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
My issue with the claim for a penalty is when you slow it down, you could make an argument that the Arsenal player makes contact with Ederson. I think the call on the pitch has to stand in that case. I would not want to have to make that call. It’s really tough

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
My issue with the claim for a penalty is when you slow it down, you could make an argument that the Arsenal player makes contact with Ederson. I think the call on the pitch has to stand in that case. I would not want to have to make that call. It’s really tough
Yup ode actually steps on ederson the more you look at it the more you appreciate the call

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Emerson - where attacks die :laugh:

One of the worst crossers I have ever seen. Might as well play Sanchez as a right back.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Maaan just finished the Arsenal game. Heart breaking...

For the most part, everyone played really well and before Gabriel send off I thought they were going to find a second and win the game. Spurs away next which will be tough but then a really winable stretch of games.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Emerson loses the ball cheaply. Watford almost score.

Got to wonder what it takes for him to be taken off.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Xhaka is stupid as f***, no doubt

but ref shouldn't reward that kind of dive, imo

Players also wouldn't dive if refs would award fouls for sticking your leg in front of an attacker and holding him up.

If it was just the shirt pull as Silva was going down I don't think it would be called, but it was a clear leg into Silva's legs that held him up. Silva then noticed he wasn't going to get the ball and went down. If Silva had gone down immediately it would be stonewall but instead he tried for one step realized that he didn't have advantage and went down. If refs would regularly call that anyway, he wouldn't feel like he should go down.

As for the red, I have zero idea what someone could complain about. The first yellow was pretty obvious and the second was clear as day. Pure stupidity by Gabriel.

Reactions: gary69

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad