Rumor: PK Subban on Tradeblock

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Do you think they would be looking for more of a picks and prospects package, or would they be looking to acquire a #1C like Logan Couture? Or would they really only be moving him for a comparable RHD?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
There was a Montreal media guy saying the exact same thing like a month ago. Subban rubbing teammates the wrong way, and if the right deal comes along he'd be moved. Jesus, how annoying can one player be?

If he gets traded I think we’ll know how annoying one player can be.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
Spitballing here, maybe they're thinking about moving him to make room for Tavares? :dunno:
This. If they do move Subban, Tavares (or someone of similar quality) better be coming to Nashville or else it’s just a step back.

Would be very sad to see Subban go but damn he could get us a haul, and we need more playmakers/scorers and a nice 3rd pairing D.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I have a hard time believing these rumors are true. Subban was our best d-man for the playoffs and a lot of the season, and he's already on a long-term contract. If a d-man must be moved, moving Ellis would be much more logical IMO.

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
I have a hard time believing these rumors are true. Subban was our best d-man for the playoffs and a lot of the season, and he's already on a long-term contract. If a d-man must be moved, moving Ellis would be much more logical IMO.
But I think the question here is: would Subban sign here again as UFA? Likely not.
Ellis wants to spend his career here.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Depends on the reason behind moving him. If it's to free up cap, then Subban, regardless of how illogical it seems, is the best choice. Ellis only frees 2.5/prevents you from adding an additional 4-4.5 if extended/re-signed

Ekholm????

If you mean which d left, then Ekholm and Josi.

If you mean move him, he's 4 mill for the next 4 years (?) That's a sweet contract.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
It'd be pretty dumb if we got rid of a Norris-caliber d-man just because he wouldn't sign here as a UFA. I like Ellis, but I think Subban is better by a good margin.
I totally agree with that, but if there’s any merit to him wearing out his welcome, I’d rather move him than Ellis. Long term, man. Long term.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
Depends on the reason behind moving him. If it's to free up cap, then Subban, regardless of how illogical it seems, is the best choice. Ellis only frees 2.5/prevents you from adding an additional 4-4.5 if extended/re-signed

If you mean which d left, then Ekholm and Josi.

If you mean move him, he's 4 mill for the next 4 years (?) That's a sweet contract.
If we traded Subban, we’d still have Josi, Ellis, and Ekholm. Not just 2 good D. Ekholm would be a top pairing D man on almost any team in the league. Dude is a stud.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I have a conspiracy theory that something around Karlsson for Subban as a base is one of Dorion's supposed "many" plans if the Senators are unwilling to come up to EK's asking price, or EK is unwilling to settle for the Senators offer, and no team steps up with an amazing package deal for Karlsson.

Poile was apparently the first guy to call Dorion on Karlsson. We're now hearing rumblings about Subban possibly being available. Dorion has claimed that the Senators are on a 5 year plan, Subban is signed at what is a good rate for a budget team for another 4, meaning he fits that 5 year period fairly closely.

If the Senators liquidate Karlsson for a package deal, it needs to be a can't lose type package. Vegas was offering Ottawa apparently two 1sts, a conditional pick, and one of Glass/Suzuki/Brannstrom as a base at the deadline for what might have been Karl+Ryan. While that's a lot of assets, a package like that could easily be nothing 5 years from now. The Senators need a sure thing prospect in a package deal, or proven young talent as a part of it. So if that is not available, a move for an established player that fits the budget and 5 year plan makes the most sense.

The Senators are also possibly moving downtown, although every time Eugene Melnyk opens his mouth I get more and more skeptical that it'll ever happen. For those unfamiliar with Ottawa, the new arena would be a stone's throw away from Gatineau in Quebec. Both Gatineau and Orleans are major french areas in the vicinity of Ottawa, both are infested with dirty traitor Montreal Canadiens fans. Acquiring Subban presents a major opportunity for the Senators to reach out to and try to grow the Gatineau/Orleans francophone fanbase.

Lots of Sens fans despise Subban, but they also disliked Phaneuf and mostly warmed up to him when he came here. Sports are weird that way. While I think Karlsson is better than Subban, it's the closest option that might be out there to a lateral move, Subban fits in with the Senators 5 year plan, and the organization might benefit at the box office and off the ice from acquiring one of the most marketable players in the entire league. Especially so when they are in the middle of possibly the biggest deal in franchise history with the downtown arena being constructed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad