Rumor: PK Subban on Tradeblock

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Look, you're taking this waaaay too personally. Some stuff was said in the media about PK Subban being available. Probably click-bait. Totally agree with you.

You log onto HF boards, go to the trade rumors and free agents board and you're angry people are making trade proposals for PK ?

C'mon.

PK is awesome. Everybody is gonna want him. Hell I am going to post another deal today. Why not? It's kinda fun. :)

I have no problem with people discussing any player. Like you said, it is fun and starts good conversation/debates. My issue with this thread is it is labeled "rumor" when it should be labeled as speculation. I have not found anywhere where Strickland states PK is on the block. This entire thread was started by the OP's interpretation of a radio interview.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I have no problem with people discussing any player. Like you said, it is fun and starts good conversation/debates. My issue with this thread is it is labeled "rumor" when it should be labeled as speculation. I have not found anywhere where Strickland states PK is on the block. This entire thread was started by the OP's interpretation of a radio interview.

I started this thread. As I said, Strickland was on NHL Radio and was clearly implying that Subban was being shopped, if he didn't say it explicitly. And again, the fact that his beat is St. Louis but the first thing he's talking about in an interview is Subban is also a red flag that he had some inside information.

It's unfortunate that the interview wasn't posted on the NHL Radio app. But if you listened to it, it's clearly more than Strickland speculating.

EDIT: In addition, the TSN/Sportsnet people often don't put their rumors in writing, but talk about them during radio interviews. If it weren't for a few guys on twitter that seem to transcribe what they say, very few people would know about them. That's what's going on here.

Reactions: TFHockey

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I started this thread. As I said, Strickland was on NHL Radio and was clearly implying that Subban was being shopped, if he didn't say it explicitly. And again, the fact that his beat is St. Louis but the first thing he's talking about in an interview is Subban is also a red flag that he had some inside information.

It's unfortunate that the interview wasn't posted on the NHL Radio app. But if you listened to it, it's clearly more than Strickland speculating.

EDIT: In addition, the TSN/Sportsnet people often don't put their rumors in writing, but talk about them during radio interviews. If it weren't for a few guys on twitter that seem to transcribe what they say, very few people would know about them. That's what's going on here.
Nice of you to explaining all this on page 22 instead of the OP. Still doesn't make a case for this thread existing after what we know about the rumors.

Anyone can say anything about a radio interview where meanings are easily mixed up, especially on speculative topics like sports trades. It's not a fact that he's on the trading block, everything we fans can observe has firmly been against that along with the GM and Coach and most importantly on this case, the players, although players haven't said it directly but why would you think that our player group doesn't want big changes means Subban is on the way out?

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Nice of you to explaining all this on page 22 instead of the OP. Still doesn't make a case for this thread existing after what we know about the rumors.

Anyone can say anything about a radio interview where meanings are easily mixed up, especially on speculative topics like sports trades. It's not a fact that he's on the trading block, everything we fans can observe has firmly been against that along with the GM and Coach and most importantly on this case, the players, although players haven't said it directly but why would you think that our player group doesn't want big changes means Subban is on the way out?

You missed other posts where people asked for more information, and I provided it. Otherwise, I don't know what else to tell you. A sports journalist that usually does not cover things related to Nashville and does not have a history of making stuff up, starts off an interview talking about PK Subban being shopped. And that's when the team that he does cover, St. Louis, is probably going to be active in the offseason and will be pursuing the biggest name in free agency.

He's not the easiest guy to trade even if you wanted to. Big contract and you're pretty telling the rest of the league that his "personality issues" were not a figment of Bergevin's imagination. So he's a great talent that you'll likely be selling low on. But what I posted is accurate: it's a rumor.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
You missed other posts where people asked for more information, and I provided it. Otherwise, I don't know what else to tell you. A sports journalist that usually does not cover things related to Nashville and does not have a history of making stuff up, starts off an interview talking about PK Subban being shopped. And that's when the team that he does cover, St. Louis, is probably going to be active in the offseason and will be pursuing the biggest name in free agency.

He's not the easiest guy to trade even if you wanted to. Big contract and you're pretty telling the rest of the league that his "personality issues" were not a figment of Bergevin's imagination. So he's a great talent that you'll likely be selling low on. But what I posted is accurate: it's a rumor.

If Strickland had any insider info, he would have made a bigger deal about it than just casually talking about Subban being on the trade block. He was most likely reacting to the fact that Subban has been rumored to be on the trade block, so he just assumed it was a possibility/reality.

Those who dig deeper know those rumors made no sense in the first place. Anybody can be traded, maybe Subban will get traded soon, everything is possible, but those rumors were just clickbait material:

Don't give me that Friedman BS.

Sakic: I want Subban

Poile: No, not a chance.

Friedman: Subban was part of a hypothetical Duchene deal for a while!
^^ this, basically

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006

Even by your own admission by your verbiage you are admitting this is YOUR assessment of what Strickland said. I feel like any news regarding Subban is a pretty big deal. He is a larger than life personality and is a huge star in this league. If Strickland was on record of saying he was basically on the trade block I feel like that would have been picked up by several major hockey news media outlets.

It's not a personal thing but I'm not buying your take. This is speculation.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Even by your own admission by your verbiage you are admitting this is YOUR assessment of what Strickland said. I feel like any news regarding Subban is a pretty big deal. He is a larger than life personality and is a huge star in this league. If Strickland was on record of saying is was basically on the trade block I feel like that would have been picked up by several major hockey news media outlets.

It's not a personal thing but I'm not buying your take. This is speculation.

I hedged a little because I don’t have a transcript. All I can tell you is that he wasn’t just speculating.

Admittedly the line between speculation and rumor can be blurry. But you usually get the, “I’m not saying I know anything” disclaimer, which didn’t happen here.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
I hedged a little because I don’t have a transcript. All I can tell you is that he wasn’t just speculating.

Admittedly the line between speculation and rumor can be blurry. But you usually get the, “I’m not saying I know anything” disclaimer, which didn’t happen here.

Yeah but I can't really imagine someone having insider info on a subject and then just casually talking about that rumor without saying they have sources or they heard something. If he did reveal any insider info, it'd be all over the internet.

And considering his tweet from just a few days before that radio show you heard, it doesn't look like he has any insider info:

It looks like he's just assuming there's some truth to the rumors. If he had heard any new info between that tweet, and the day he was on that radio show, I'm assuming he would have talked about it?

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Yeah but I can't really imagine someone having insider info on a subject and then just casually talking about that rumor without saying they have sources or they heard something. If he did reveal any insider info, it'd be all over the internet.

And considering his tweet from just a few days before that radio show you heard, it doesn't look like he has any insider info:

It looks like he's just assuming there's some truth to the rumors. If he had heard any new info between that tweet, and the day he was on that radio show, I'm assuming he would have talked about it?

He's doing that 'as some are suggesting' thing. It's like the 'many people believe' argument. The guy could be talking about a couple of clowns he sat next to at a bar.

PK is on the block as much as any other player in the entire league is on the block: They're all on the block for the right offer.

Nothing to see here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad