Rumor: PK Subban on Tradeblock

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If we traded Subban, we’d still have Josi, Ellis, and Ekholm. Not just 2 good D. Ekholm would be a top pairing D man on almost any team in the league. Dude is a stud.

Never said he wasn't.

What I implied was, Subban traded to make room for Tavares, would mean Turris is dealt to make room for Ellis, otherwise you just have Josi and Ekholm

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If Dorion doesn't want to pay Karlsson, do you really think he would want pay Subban 9 million?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Meh - there's an expansion draft coming up. Throw him to the wolves when that happens. Besides, the new Seattle fans will enjoy the entertainment those first few years.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
Never said he wasn't.

What I implied was, Subban traded to make room for Tavares, would mean Turris is dealt to make room for Ellis, otherwise you just have Josi and Ekholm
Rinne’s 7m comes off the books at the end of next season, so that’s where his raise will come from.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Just Googled this: Predators shoot down P.K. Subban trade rumours - Sportsnet.ca

So a local Nashville Reporter and Laviolette shot down the rumours a week ago. Where does Andy Strickland get off saying he's being shopped. Or is OP misquoting Strickland to make a post. Someone please post a link the NHL Radio show this was said on.

It was Sirius/XM this afternoon. If you subscribe, it might be available on the their app.

I’m not making up what was said, and it’s the first rumor thread I’ve started here.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
If Dorion doesn't want to pay Karlsson, do you really think he would want pay Subban 9 million?

Who says Ottawa wants Subban?

Nashville could move him to another team and acquire Karlsson. They could use some of the assets from the Subban trade to flip to Ottawa.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I wonder if Vancouver is interested in moving their 7th OA pick for Subban.

There were reports that Van wanted to move the 5th OA previously when Subban was in MTl but MTL backed out once Dubois was draftef at 3.
Edit: never mind, you’ve already been called out for and explained this comment. You should really alter it though, or you will continue to garner responses to this obscenity.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
OTT: Draisatl
EDM: Subban
NSH: Extended EK

If ek doesn't re-up with Ottawa.

This is something I had thought of previously, as I'm sure a lot of other people have to since it makes a lot of sense if Karl won't extend in EDM but will in NSH. If I recall, there's been speculation that he doesn't want to go to another Canadian city.

Oilers were in on Subban previously. Chiarelli has expressed interest in acquiring a puck moving RD. While I'm sure Oilers fans don't like the idea of trading Draisaitl for an older player, Subban will still be in his prime for the remainder of his contract and the deal genuinely makes them a better team.

Ottawa is hurt the most out of all three teams. That's not meant to insult Draisaitl because he's obviously a superstar, I just think EK is that good. In a scenario where things aren't going to work our between EK and the Sens it changes the dynamic though, so getting Draisaitl in that situation would be exceptional.

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Rinne’s 7m comes off the books at the end of next season, so that’s where his raise will come from.

That's putting a lot of faith in an undersized goalie. Yes he's looked good so far, so might pay off.

It was Sirius/XM this afternoon. If you subscribe, it might be available on the their app.

I’m not making up what was said, and it’s the first rumor thread I’ve started here.

To further add to your defense. Just because a team shoots down the rumours, doesn't mean it's not true.

Yeah we're totally shopping PK.

Then what happens if nothing materializes ? Do the preds sell him for cheap, or do they play the season with a player knowing full well the team doesn't want him ?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I don't think we are shopping Subban but I think that if a gm gave us a great offer we'd probably take it. Would probably be looking for a really high pick, a middle pairing RHD (lesser PK replacement) and maybe something else.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Why even include Nashville if you're the Oilers?

All depends on whether Karlsson wants to go to Edmonton. If he does, then sure. Karlsson for Drai in July. Karl signs an extension right away, and Ottawa gets a great young forward.

This is if Karlsson doesn’t want to stay, my first choice is to keep him.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Nylander,Carrick + 2018 1st

Rielly-Subban
Dermott-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Hainsey/Ozhiganov

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
I have a hard time believing these rumors are true. Subban was our best d-man for the playoffs and a lot of the season, and he's already on a long-term contract. If a d-man must be moved, moving Ellis would be much more logical IMO.

From the moment the Subban/Weber trade happened I never thought Nashville was going to keep Subban. I thought they were more interested in getting out from under that Weber contract. Moving Subban again makes sense

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

Subban makes 10M/10M/8M/8M.

If Karlsson is traded, it's for one of these three reasons....

-He doesn't want to re-sign. (This doesn't seem to be the case)
-Someone offers Ottawa an amazing package deal that also includes them taking Ryan's contract.
-Karlsson wants "what he's worth" and "market value", and that amount is in the 12-14 million ball park in Ottawa's high tax market. (Might be a bit lower else where)

If Karlsson is gonna sign for 10M x 8 years, and the offers for him aren't good enough that Dorion can walk up to a podium after trading him and not be afraid of getting a shoe thrown at him, then I'd be very very surprised if he isn't re-signed.

If Karlsson wants 12M, that means there could be a 4M difference between Karlsson and Subban's salaries in years 3 and 4 when the Senators expect to be competing. For a budget team that currently spends about 7M below the 75M cap, that's a huge difference.

Hopefully that provides some context as to why a lateral move to Subban making an average of 9M (and a low of 8M) makes sense.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I don't think we are shopping Subban but I think that if a gm gave us a great offer we'd probably take it. Would probably be looking for a really high pick, a middle pairing RHD (lesser PK replacement) and maybe something else.

Larsson + pick 10?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Subban makes 10M/10M/8M/8M.

If Karlsson is traded, it's for one of these three reasons....

-He doesn't want to re-sign. (This doesn't seem to be the case)
-Someone offers Ottawa an amazing package deal that also includes them taking Ryan's contract.
-Karlsson wants "what he's worth" and "market value", and that amount is in the 12-14 million ball park in Ottawa's high tax market. (Might be a bit lower else where)

If Karlsson is gonna sign for 10M x 8 years, and the offers for him aren't good enough that Dorion can walk up to a podium after trading him and not be afraid of getting a shoe thrown at him, then I'd be very very surprised if he isn't re-signed.

If Karlsson wants 12M, that means there could be a 4M difference between Karlsson and Subban's salaries in years 3 and 4 when the Senators expect to be competing. For a budget team that currently spends about 7M below the 75M cap, that's a huge difference.

Hopefully that provides some context as to why a lateral move to Subban making an average of 9M (and a low of 8M) makes sense.

I think Doughty and Karlsson gonna get PAID

i dont think anyone can argue that those guys deserve less than eichel,toews etc
Kane just got 7 mil. if the kap is 80+ mil next year EK/DOughty will probably ask for 12-12.5
not sure if they get it but could be interesting

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
Some guy re-hashing an old, fake rumor doesn't make the rumor more true. Judging from his twitter account, he only seemed to "assume" Subban was available, because of all the rumors. Unless he revealed new info on the radio today?

Anyways, the only way I see the Preds trading Subban is if they sign John Carlson or someone of that caliber, as a UFA. This way, trading Subban for an elite forward would make sense. Otherwise, trading Subban makes no sense. Nashville has great Dmen, but Josi and Ellis really struggle against top competition during the playoffs. I can't imagine the Preds would trust them to carry the defense.

It would be nice to see Subban play with McDavid though, not gonna lie :popcorn:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Lots of inpetuosity on these takes. Nashville isn't shopping Subban, isn't listening on Subban, he's a perfect fit and all sides are happy there. How's that for a rumour?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I think Doughty and Karlsson gonna get PAID

i dont think anyone can argue that those guys deserve less than eichel,toews etc
Kane just got 7 mil. if the kap is 80+ mil next year EK/DOughty will probably ask for 12-12.5
not sure if they get it but could be interesting

I think you are right. To me, when EK has been put in a bubble with McDavid and Crosby as a top 3 player in the league, it's hard to see him taking less than 12M on an 80M cap.

Only way Karlsson takes less is if he goes to an ultra competitive market with a favourable tax situation. I think guys are more open to taking discounts when teams have a willingness or ability to spend to win.

EK's wife is from Ottawa, her family runs major business here that she is apparently involved with. So I guess Sens fans only hope is that either Melnyk sells the team tomorrow, or EK was bluffing when he validated Doughty's comments about wanting market value and what he is worth (don't they have the same agents?), and that EK's family values staying in Ottawa for non-hockey reasons more than they value an additional 20M+ USD on the lifetime of EK's career.

Born and Raised

Apr 22, 2018
Some guy re-hashing an old, fake rumor doesn't make the rumor more true. Judging from his twitter account, he only seemed to "assume" Subban was available, because of all the rumors. Unless he revealed new info on the radio today?

Anyways, the only way I see the Preds trading Subban is if they sign John Carlson or someone of that caliber, as a UFA. This way, trading Subban for an elite forward would make sense. Otherwise, trading Subban makes no sense. Nashville has great Dmen, but Josi and Ellis really struggle against top competition during the playoffs. I can't imagine the Preds would trust them to carry the defense.

It would be nice to see Subban play with McDavid though, not gonna lie :popcorn:
That some guy is a known reporter with sources. The only random person you can call 'some guy' is you trying to discredit his work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad