Post-Game Talk: "Pity Pardy" In Here - Jets lose 5-3

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Hutch is not awful though (at least not yet).
He has played awful at points.

There's a different in those two points that people are getting hung up with.

At this point in time, IMO I'd say the floor on Hutch is 1B, the ceiling is 1A. So he's a goalie you don't want to lean on heavily, but he's a backup that can take a huge amount of the workload.

I'm running into this a lot at work. Plenty of casual fans think that Pavelec is great somehow. Then I provide them with a metric tonne of well established statistics that show that Pav is in fact not a good goalie.

They have been having a field day with this recent run. The worst thing that could have happened is Pavelec getting injured and Hutch struggling at the same time. It reinforces their flawed belief that somehow Pav is God and its our defense that is the reason for our GA.

Trying to explain it to them is maddening.

It's the same thing I tried to show here when Dubnyk was playing for the Oilers and I suggested a Dubie - Pav swap. Dubnyk had better stats on the worst defensive team in the league. Of course he was going to perform better on a team with better defensive play. It's just common sense.

Despite Hutch' struggles lately, he still has career stats that are decent for a backup. I think he just needs to figure out how to be a starter. Some guys just aren't wired for it -- maybe he isn't.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
I'm very pleased that the last few pages if this PGT are focused on the Jets' real problem, Pavelec. You know, the guy who won't be playing till January.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I'm very pleased that the last few pages if this PGT are focused on the Jets' real problem, Pavelec. You know, the guy who won't be playing till January.

I think It's focused on Hutchinson, with comparisons to Pavelec, and a smattering of Helle thrown in for good measure.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
VgvI08l.jpg

Rev that bugger up and run em over!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If I was adjusting the lines for the next game I'd roll with:

Ladd Little Stafford

Perreault Burmi Wheeler

Armia Scheifele Ehlers

Tony P Copp Thorbs

I think you keep Ladd with Little because they have undeniable chemistry. Little is the only thing keeping Ladd effective right now. Little's great passing and defensive work really compliments Stafford too.

The second line I think gets similar minutes to the first. Wheeler and Burmistrov have had mad chemistry together. Perreault has the wheels to keep up with those guys and he can finish.

If Armia comes up and cannot produce with Brighteyes and Ehlers, then no one can blame the coach for putting him with ****** players.

The 4th line of Peluso Copp and Thorburn actually had some good shifts together. Despite the 'too many penalties' meme, Peluso has only taken 2 minors in the past 5 games. One of them was a ticky tacky one where he was falling and took the other guy down. That line is fine and I think if you give them 10 minutes a game and spread their minutes out as evenly as possible then you can rest your top 9 enough that they can be even more effective.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Or that Hutch can't be criticized without doubling down on the Pavelec bashing.

Because some around here have the extremely flawed belief that Hutch having an awful stretch somehow erases Pavelec's awful career and makes him a better goalie.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
If I was adjusting the lines for the next game I'd roll with:

Ladd Little Stafford

Perreault Burmi Wheeler

Armia Scheifele Ehlers

Tony P Copp Thorbs

I think you keep Ladd with Little because they have undeniable chemistry. Little is the only thing keeping Ladd effective right now. Little's great passing and defensive work really compliments Stafford too.

The second line I think gets similar minutes to the first. Wheeler and Burmistrov have had mad chemistry together. Perreault has the wheels to keep up with those guys and he can finish.

If Armia comes up and cannot produce with Brighteyes and Ehlers, then no one can blame the coach for putting him with ****** players.

The 4th line of Peluso Copp and Thorburn actually had some good shifts together. Despite the 'too many penalties' meme, Peluso has only taken 2 minors in the past 5 games. One of them was a ticky tacky one where he was falling and took the other guy down. That line is fine and I think if you give them 10 minutes a game and spread their minutes out as evenly as possible then you can rest your top 9 enough that they can be even more effective.

Lowry hasn't been good but there is no reason to sit Lowry and dress Peluso unless Lowry is injured.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Alright guys, cut it out with the talking about who says what about what goalie and why they say it nonsense.

Leave it be. Talk about the actual players, the game, etc. Everyone has their biases that come out from time to time. If they are breaking rules, report the post. If they are just annoying you, ignore them.

Simple.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Lowry hasn't been good but there is no reason to sit Lowry and dress Peluso unless Lowry is injured.

:biglaugh:

OMG I forgot about Lowry. That's how awful he's been.

I wouldn't be against scratching Peluso and rolling with Lowry Copp and Thor. Be nice to have 2 centres on that line.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
:biglaugh:

OMG I forgot about Lowry. That's how awful he's been.

I wouldn't be against scratching Peluso and rolling with Lowry Copp and Thor. Be nice to have 2 centres on that line.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lowry Burmi Ehlers, but...and I can't believe I'm actually going to say this, I'm not sure that Thorburn is less talented offensively than Lowry at this point

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I wouldn't mind seeing Lowry Burmi Ehlers, but...and I can't believe I'm actually going to say this, I'm not sure that Thorburn is less talented offensively than Lowry at this point

I would say that right now, Thorburn has more offensive ability than Lowry, mostly due to his speed. I have really noticed an improvement in this area for Thor, and Lowry has looked slower than usual this season.

I do not know what is up with Lowry but he is not the Big Adam Lowry of last year, that's for sure.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Well, I'm glad I went to bed at 9:30 Eastern Time rather than staying up for this game.

I can't blame Maurice for his choice of goalie. This was a classic "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. If he'd played Helle back-to-back and he lost people would be burning Maurice in effigy here for putting the rook in that position. IMO he made the right choice and since Hutch **** the bed once again, maybe Helle will be given a bit of a run.

I would sure love to see a Dubnyk 14/15 style run from Hellebuyck at this juncture.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I do not know what is up with Lowry but he is not the Big Adam Lowry of last year, that's for sure.

Yeah he sure isn't. I really hate to say it, but I have to admit that at this point I'd rather see Lowry scratched before Tony P. who in my view deserves credit for playing better than my man-crush :cry:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Lowry is still waiver exempt, is he not? At what point does the long-term become priority? The way he's playing, Cormier, Halischuk or Fraser wouldn't make the Jets worse. Maybe some time with the Moose can help Lowry find his game.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Lowry is still waiver exempt, is he not? At what point does the long-term become priority? The way he's playing, Cormier, Halischuk or Fraser wouldn't make the Jets worse. Maybe some time with the Moose can help Lowry find his game.

Those guys are not playing particularly well right now.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Or that Hutch can't be criticized without doubling down on the Pavelec bashing.

Pavelec is monumentally terrible...symptomatic of wider problems the Jets have. You want to talk about 'doubling down'? This team doubles down on the worst players and lets good ones walk away. Recipe for success? Enjoy your **** sandwiches, Jets fans!

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Lowry and Copp have been an alright duo IMO. Would be interesting to see what they could do with Ehlers. Might help them get a transition and O zone game going.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Despite many of the more thoughtful comments by posters on some of Coach`s shortcomings, those advocating for his quick dismissal are wasting their time- not going to happen.

Tthere is still the underlying issue of how, irrespective of lineup, the Jets prepare for; and generally motivate themselves for, the game.It is a massive understatement to say that the commitment is not there on a consistent basis.

Now of course one can only speculate, but it might serve Coach well to change his approach to the privacy, almost sanctity, given to `the room`!! I believe Coach indicated last year that he rarely entered the`room`either before or following the game and only very infrequently on a general basis. He bragged how the veteran leadership were self-starters and responsible for the team`s state of readiness and that he played no role. Perhaps he should actively try to find out just why things are different this year and actually play a direct role until such time as this is rectified?

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I do think this is where the analytics fall short. Goalies are a unique position in the game; it's very, very easy to see whether they are performing well or not. A blind chimp should have noticed by now that Hutch has lost some confidence. For gods sakes, he flailed around and threw his goalie stick trying to make a routine blocker save. When the team sees that from their goalie they're like "wtf?". Not enough can be said about having a calm presence backing up the team.

Using Hutch's play 1 year ago to suggest that we should expect him to rebound is a bit misguided. I haven't felt comfortable watching him in net since 2014. It's almost 2016. It's not like he has a storied history of clutch performing like Henrik Lundquist, the reason why we are told to expect good things from him is a ridiculous entrance into the league in which he posted awesome numbers for about 1 - 2 months. Time to give the ball to someone else. This is the second time I can remember where Hutch was given the chance to take over the team and he hasn't.

/goaltending rant

I like the way the team played for the most part. Just the regular Stu Pardy mistakes, too bad they scored on them eh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad