Post-Game Talk: "Pity Pardy" In Here - Jets lose 5-3

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Maurice has shown no problem starting Pav in B2B, why not do the same with an actually talented goaltender?

Derfel*

Maurice has shown no problem starting Pav in B2B, why not do the same with an actually talented goaltender?

Wow. How many people freaked out when Maurice played either Pavelec or Hutchinson B2B last season?

Starting Hutch was the logical option. "Hutch is clutch", remember?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I don't think it's his fault that Pavelec, a career 908 and current 906 has been trotted out year after year after year. That's like being mad at a brick layer for building a poor house but giving him bread and cream cheese as material.

Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but I think it's time to move on.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Ladd has 16 points this season. He isn't the tire fire everyone is making him out to be. He isn't playing to his potential, but he isn't ruining Little by any means.

Matty P has 17 points and people think he is under achieving Scheifele has 13 and people think he is playing great. Its not all about points where Ladd is concerned his all around game stinks, he give pucks away, doesn't seem to fight for the puck in the corners and is generally behind the play and as some have commented lately his on ice demeanor is different. Something is off on this team and it starts with the captain.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Wasn't the 3rd goal clearly too many men on the ice? Wagner comes on the ice & immediately takes possession on a turn over up the boards as MacKinnon is lazily skating toward the gate.

Jets were just called on a similar play less obvious play a few games back.

Yes - in addition to the Stafford + Stu comedy of errors, Colorado should've been called for too many men.

9oRnANd.png

MacKinnon is still standing on the ice a half-second later when Wagner handles the puck.

AceGB50.png

So a missed call, 3 consecutive errors by Stafford, 2 by Stu (if you count "not getting Hutch his stick wtf are you doing back there Stu you sack of ****?!?!?" - and I do count that) culminating in a breakaway goal on a goalie without a stick. Quite a show...

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Wow. How many people freaked out when Maurice played either Pavelec or Hutchinson B2B last season?

Starting Hutch was the logical option. "Hutch is clutch", remember?

Well Hutch IS clutch relative to Pavelec, who lets in late goals to lose games in about quarter of his appearances... :laugh:

Maurice started Pavelec on the second game of a back to back twice last year. The first was Nov 15/16 in games vs. Nashville and Minnesota...he lost both games and got pulled in the second. That second game pull kicked off the long, Pavelec-plays-like-ass era that lasted until March. The other back to back was April 6/7 when he was in the rare zone of Pavelecian competence that quickly evaporated in the playoffs and we haven't seen since.

Hutch has never started both games of a back to back under Maurice.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
I know its a tough call to sit a "letter" but I can't think of any better way to send this team a message to get their $hit together. Sit Stu for a game at least.

Hutch?? - dude- what happened to you? Someone call a goalie whisperer- stat

I am a Burmi basher- but last night he was the Jets best forward- me likey

Derfel*

Well Hutch IS clutch relative to Pavelec, who lets in late goals to lose games in about quarter of his appearances... :laugh:

Yes - Pavelec has a tendency to let in a late goal in a loss. Hutch gets it out of the way in the first 5 shots or so. :sarcasm:

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Pavelec and Hutchinson are both pretty garbage, just Hutchinson gets slightly more leeway because he's 3 years younger, was developed when we moved here as a feel good story rising from Bruins cast off to NHLer, and he isn't making 3.9M per season to flouder around and cost us games - he's here to be an average backup (albeit he's failing).

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
The word was that just before Noel was fired Chevy would have preferred to make a trade to shekeup the team before axing Noel. I'm pretty sure that this time around a trade would happen first before Maurice is fired. I also believe he is 100% safe for this year regardless.

His job certainly isn't in any danger. Still has 2 years on his contract after this one. I'm sure Chevy will try to extend him after next year.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Yes - Pavelec has a tendency to let in a late goal in a loss. Hutch gets it out of the way in the first 5 shots or so. :sarcasm:

Hutch also likes to accentuate the weak goal he lets in with another weak goal, both usually in the same game!

White Out 403*

hutch is also a career 913 and pavelec 908. so there's that. they're both below average goaltenders. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Hutch also likes to accentuate the weak goal he lets in with another weak goal, both usually in the same game!

Pavelec's next win will tie him with Hutch's current win total since the start of last season, so those weak goals are clearly killing Hutch.

Pavelec's last 29 games - which goes back to the start of the best run of his career: 14-13-2.

Hutch's last 29 games - which he hasn't even looked like a decent backup for long stretches: 13-12-4.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
hutch is also a career 913 and pavelec 908. so there's that. they're both below average goaltenders. i find it amusing some are trying to use hutchs tough start to this season as evidence pavelec is better.

I haven't seen anyone do that. I've seen people say Hutch and Pavelec are both awful.

Derfel*

Pavelec's next win will tie him with Hutch's current win total since the start of last season, so those weak goals are clearly killing Hutch.

Pavelec's last 29 games - which goes back to the start of the best run of his career: 14-13-2.

Hutch's last 29 games - which he hasn't even looked like a decent backup for long stretches: 13-12-4.

Yes - they have both been pretty much average to below-average.

Thesis

Mar 4, 2015
Call me crazy, but I like the way Burmi plays with Wheels.

LBW?
PSS
LLE
TCP

Am crazy

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
For the love of all that's holy in this world, Armia on-the third line, thorburn 4the and Pluso on the flight home.

Do we actually think this is what is wrong with the Winnipeg Jets?

Good lord.

How about our defenseman play better? How about our goaltenders stop a damned puck?

No, putting a guy who hasn't proven jack **** in his limited time in the NHL on the 3rd line and scratching Peluso (who, in case you haven't noticed, has been pretty good through all of this) is the solution!

If you want to effect real change, we need to shake up the back end of this team. I don't want to lose Myers but I would do the Myers for Hamonic deal right now if we could and I would waive the **** out of Pardy, and play Chiarot and/or Postma.

If I had my way I'd bench Stuart and play the both of them but we know that will never happen.

Ride Hellebuyck and if that doesn't work, waive Hutch and acquire one of the million other backups that can give you a decent start that are scattered throughout the NHL.

If we want to fix what ails the Winnipeg Jets it does not involve moving around a couple of bottom 6 forwards.

PS, Burmistrov and Wheeler seem to have some really nice chemistry. Just sayin.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I haven't seen anyone do that. I've seen people say Hutch and Pavelec are both awful.

Hutch is not awful though (at least not yet).
He has played awful at points.

There's a different in those two points that people are getting hung up with.

At this point in time, IMO I'd say the floor on Hutch is 1B, the ceiling is 1A. So he's a goalie you don't want to lean on heavily, but he's a backup that can take a huge amount of the workload.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
"Playing the hot goalie" works only if past short-term performance is indicative of future short-term performance.

You are saying "he played well/bad the past bit so I expect the next game to be like that"... except everything we know with goaltender regression says this is unfounded.

How they have performed in the long-term past is more indicative of the future short-term, although probability != destiny.

This tweet was originally made as satire on those who would think the wrong move was to go with Hutch if Hutch struggled.

My suggestion would be goalie tandem between Hutch and Helle.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Stop it with the logic and stuff, garret. ;)

Being logical is one thing. I'm not sure the team can afford to let him work out his issues in an NHL net. He needed to step up to the challenge once Pav went down. So far:

Hutch 0-3 .860
Helle 1-0 .927

We need Hutch to be better now. 2 of our next 5 games are against Chicago on the road on the 2nd night of a B2B. We need him.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Being logical is one thing. I'm not sure the team can afford to let him work out his issues in an NHL net. He needed to step up to the challenge once Pav went down. So far:

Hutch 0-3 .860
Helle 1-0 .927

We need Hutch to be better now. 2 of our next 5 games are against Chicago on the road on the 2nd night of a B2B. We need him.

For sure - I'm just talking about the longer term regarding goaltenders. Alas, teams sometimes (most of the time, actually) don't have time to wait for goaltenders to work things out.

I'd like to see them shift to Helle, and see if he can pick up the reins. This would also allow Hutch more practice time to work on some of his issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad