Post-Game Talk: "Pity Pardy" In Here - Jets lose 5-3

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Where are all the anti-Burmistrovs?!

Oh an Hutch... come on man. That's not good enough if you wanna stay in the NHL.

Was Burmi still playing center? I didnt get to see the game last night, but i have commented in the other games where Burmi has played center how much more effective he is there than on the wing. I hope mo keeps him at center for the balance of the season.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Wasn't the 3rd goal clearly too many men on the ice? Wagner comes on the ice & immediately takes possession on a turn over up the boards as MacKinnon is lazily skating toward the gate.

Jets were just called on a similar play less obvious play a few games back.

Perhaps, but I just watched the replay on that goal and Ladd deserves a big share of the blame too. He had Wagner well tied up in the high slot and then just gave up and coasted while Wagner drove hard to the puck. Maybe not the strongest shot, but an open NHLer in the low slot will score fairly regularly from there.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Our goaltending has gone from a strength early in the season to a liability now. Doesn't excuse the abysmal defensive play in front of them, but Hutch and Pav aren't bailing out the team at all.
I'm also ready for Chairot to replace Pardy now but like Whileee said Harrison will get the call if any changes are made.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Jets crushed the Avs on the 5v5 CF% (59%). Major defensive gaffes, weak goaltending, too many penalties and a woeful power play are hurting the Jets.

Thus in lies the problem.

Penatlites + D gaffes + and lousy goaltending >>>>>>> 5v5 Corsi

our flaws are kryptonite

We need to clean up the penalties to give our goalies a chance to play more 5v5 time and get some mojo back. We also need to adapt our D to close the loophole other coaches have discovered.

I am at the point I don't care how it looks just take Toby, Buff, Jacob, and Tyler throw them in a blender if you have to but play them 50 minutes a night. Take which ever other two D men and shelter the hell out of them for 10 minutes a night. We need to do this for a stretch of games and see is the big 4 can play their way into working as a group of 4.

Derfel*

PS: I'm using a model like this one to estimate where the true talent lies for Pavelec and Hutchinson:
goalieproject_fig1.png

red lines are 95% intervals for "slightly above average starter" or 0.925 5v5 talent
blue lines are 95% intervals for "average back up" or 0.915 5v5 talent
green lines are 95% intervals for "replacement level" or 0.905 5v5 talent

You can see here why we use 3k shot sample as a semi-arbitrary-but-evidence-informed sample for certainty.
It's approximately where you can say with near certainty a replacement level is not above average or vice-versa.

Can you email these to Hutchinson? I think he needs to see this.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Ladd needs to be taken off LLW his stink is starting to rub off on Little and we need to find a top six to play with Burmi and Ehlers, while were at it Pardy has played enough time for nice long rest.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Fire Maurice.

I've critiqued Maurice plenty, but I want the Jets to keep him. I think he'll learn, particularly now that the Jets are facing some down times.

I've already seen him adjust somewhat. Recently, we've seen less of the 5th and 6th D, so the top-4 can play more.

Bringing Burmi back to C for the 3rd line was a good move, and Burmi is rewarding him with very strong play.

He's seeing the issues and mistakes, but it takes him a while to hold vets accountable through the ice-time allocation. Interesting that he noticed and mentioned Ladd's neutral zone give-away that led to one of the few episodes of sustained pressure by the Wild a couple of nights ago (though he didn't name Ladd directly).

I think that as the Jets' performance lags, Maurice will consider the need to make the right decisions with the vets.

I tend to be less patient with coaches than GMs because coaches can make short-term decisions on personnel, etc. that can make a difference game-to-game. But I would still be patient with Maurice and let him figure things out as the team struggles. Next step is to solidify the rotation around the top-4 D (Stuart has to play a lot less than 17 minutes) and reduce Ladd's ice-time (needs to play a lot less than 20 minutes). Burmi and Copp can play more minutes (Copp on the PK), and Burmi more in the Frolik sort of role. Find a decent winger for Burmi and Ehlers, because those guys are ready to roll. My line juggle....

Lowry-Little-Wheeler
Ladd-Scheif-Stafford
Perreault-Burmi-Ehlers
Raffl-Copp-Thorbs

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ladd needs to be taken off LLW his stink is starting to rub off on Little and we need to find a top six to play with Burmi and Ehlers, while were at it Pardy has played enough time for nice long rest.

I agree, but I'd make some more substantial changes.... see above.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Hutch has lost his confidence. He is crap without it. I don't know if he can get it back or not. We don't know if Helle is going to be able to get the job done or not but it is time to find out. Right now I don't think Hutch is fit to back up. Too bad but that's the way it is.

I agree. We pretty much seem to know when Hutch is gonna suck. It was very clear how much he was struggling and I can't help but question Mo's judgement. Theres also a couple guys who should be healthy scratches, but apparently that isn't something Maurice will do for some reason.

Derfel*

Ladd has 16 points this season. He isn't the tire fire everyone is making him out to be. He isn't playing to his potential, but he isn't ruining Little by any means.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Fire Maurice.

The word was that just before Noel was fired Chevy would have preferred to make a trade to shekeup the team before axing Noel. I'm pretty sure that this time around a trade would happen first before Maurice is fired. I also believe he is 100% safe for this year regardless.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
My line juggle....

Lowry-Little-Wheeler
Ladd-Scheif-Stafford
Perreault-Burmi-Ehlers
Raffl-Copp-Thorbs

Really unclear on what Raffl has done so far that has him promoted to the big club. Plus, I think Armia is the next one to slot in. So, I would go with:

Perreault-Little-Wheeler
Ladd-Scheif-Stafford
Armia-Burmi-Ehlers
Peluso-Copp-Thorbs

This puts Lowry in the press box, which I think is deserving given his play this year.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Really unclear on what Raffl has done so far that has him promoted to the big club. Plus, I think Armia is the next one to slot in. So, I would go with:

Perreault-Little-Wheeler
Ladd-Scheif-Stafford
Armia-Burmi-Ehlers
Peluso-Copp-Thorbs

This puts Lowry in the press box, which I think is deserving given his play this year.

Armia has played RW all season. If he slots in I doubt he plays on the off side.

papasan

Dec 24, 2013
Winnipeg
Simple question for you guys. With the last 5 years that Flaherty has been the goaltender coach do you want him any where near Hellebuyck?

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Fire Maurice.

The assistants should go this time around. Would Hawerchuk be a good fit?

Also time to look for a new capitan... Will the jets get anything in trade for Ladd?

Last edited:

White Out 403*

Simple question for you guys. With the last 5 years that Flaherty has been the goaltender coach do you want him any where near Hellebuyck?

I don't think it's his fault that Pavelec, a career 908 and current 906 has been trotted out year after year after year. That's like being mad at a brick layer for building a poor house but giving him bread and cream cheese as material.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad