Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I swear I put Angello on there. I think I messed some of the numbering up and I accidentally deleted his name in the process. I believe I had him around 7.
How are we feeling about Angello? Leading scorer on Cornell this year, sitting #2 in the nation. Cornell is my Alma Mater so I've got a particular hope/interest in him succeeding. Any chance he goes to WBS after his junior year or will he stay in school? Where does he project as a pro? Gotta like his size as a 6'5" center. Room to add muscle. Possible 3C of the future?

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Not sure I would qualify Bellerive as smallish. 5-11, 198lbs roughly same size as Crosby. More meat than some other "prospects" we have. He was named captain of the team. On a fairly bad team he is somehow +1 for the season. Not sure how fast he is.
Angello is one big dood. Maybe a 3-4 center one day? His size is intriguing if he can skate well enough.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
NCAA playoff update:

Cornell 9-1 over Quinnipiac (Angello -1A) and Providence 4-3 over Maine (Bjorkvist - 1A) were winners in game 1s last night. UConn (Maonius - 0pts), Michigan Tech (Birks - pts) and UNO (Jones - 0pts) were losers in their game 1s. Penn St plays their semi-final against Notre Dame tonight (unsure if Pavlychev is playing), no series, just one game and done.

Losses for UConn and Michigan Tech tonight would spell the end of their seasons. UNO is a bubble team for the tournament, and Penn St likely gets into the tourny even if they lose, but not a guarantee yet. Clayton Phillips and Minnesota are already eliminated from conference play and need to wait and see if they can get a ticket to the dance (I suspect they won't when all is said an done). Cornell and Providence are shoe-ins for the dance, and UConn and Michigan Tech would need to win their conferences.

Cornell (Angello - 0pts), Providence (Bjorkvist - 0pts) and Michigan Tech (Birks - 0pts) all advance to the semis. Semi finals and finals are all single elimination games for some reason in NCAA. Cornell gets Princeton in the ECAC semis, who had a big upset over Union. Winnable game for Cornell though. Providence gets Northeastern which is a tough matchup, as they score a ton (Gaudette & Sikura 1&3 in the country in scoring). Michigan Tech gets Northern Michigan, MT is the underdog, but beat a better Minnesota St team this weekend, so anything is possible.

Penn St (Pavlychev did not play again) knocked out, but looking good for an at large bid in the tourny. Uconn knocked out as well. Masonius is a junior, so can return to school next year. I'm guessing he does, but just speculation.

UNO (Jones - 1A) also knocked out of conference play. Minnesota and UNO likely competing with each other for the last at large bid. I would have given it to UNO, but seems a lot of experts think it will be Minnesota. Minnesota St loss to Michigan Tech, making things tight for the bubble teams. A team like Boston U winning their conference could spoil things for a few bubble teams. Top FA Brickley goes o Minnesota St., but they are going to get an at large bid in the tourny, so a few weeks to go before he signs anywhere.

Reactions: Shaffer

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bjorkqvist had a nice bounce back season after having a very underwhelming rookie season. I always forget that underclassmen rarely put up big numbers in college, so Bjorkqvist putting up 20 points in 36 games as a sophomore is actually pretty solid. I'm curious to see if the Penguins sign him before he finishes college, I remember Guerin said that they think Bjorkqvist will be pro ready very soon at the draft in 2016. Even with some duds in their prospect pool (Lauzon and Hall being 2 big ones), the Penguins prospect pool has had pretty solid seasons overall. Bjorkqvist, Angello (13 goals and 26 points in 31 games in NCAA), Olund (8 goals and 23 points in 51 games in the SHL), Bellerive (44 goals and 90 points in 67 games in the WHL), Miletic (36 goals and 91 points in 62 games in the OHL) and Almari (his stat line in the Liiga is mediocre, but I keep reading really good things about his play from everyone) have all had pretty good seasons.

There is going to be a **** load of prospects turning pro going into next year. The Penguins already have a somewhat crowded farm system, and it looks like there's about 8 or 9 players that are either definitely turning pro or might turn pro. The definites are Lafferty, Angello, Almari (he wanted to come play for WBS this year, he's definitely coming next year), Olund (I vaguely remember reading that they plan on bringing him to WBS for next year), Miletic and Hall (if he's signed, he can't go back to the OHL), and it's possible that Bjorkqvist, Lauzon (he's AHL eligible, but also can be sent back down to the Q) and Masonius also could turn pro. You'll also have guys like Taylor, Tiffels and Josephs pushing for AHL minutes, since they've all done pretty well in the ECHL this year with Wheeling. I wonder if the Penguins are going to consider moving out some of these prospects at some point, it's getting kinda crowded at this point and the Penguins have shown to like using a good amount of veterans on WBS.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I’ll have one Daniel Brickley please. :razz:

A free prospect is a free prospect and all of that, but I think WBS being logjammed with talent on D may hurt the Penguins chances at signing guys like Brickley. I think they'd have better luck at getting undrafted forwards, because they have a history of making those guys into gold.

The easy solution is to just get rid of some of these guys, but who are you getting rid of that Brickley would be a huge upgrade on? And would anyone even take any of these players? I'm a fan of Jeff Taylor, you shouldn't want to trade Bengtsson, Prow has started to develop nicely, Corrado has value as a NHL caliber guy and Pedan actually might have some sort of ceiling as a NHLer.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
A free prospect is a free prospect and all of that, but I think WBS being logjammed with talent on D may hurt the Penguins chances at signing guys like Brickley. I think they'd have better luck at getting undrafted forwards, because they have a history of making those guys into gold.

The easy solution is to just get rid of some of these guys, but who are you getting rid of that Brickley would be a huge upgrade on? And would anyone even take any of these players? I'm a fan of Jeff Taylor, you shouldn't want to trade Bengtsson, Prow has started to develop nicely, Corrado has value as a NHL caliber guy and Pedan actually might have some sort of ceiling as a NHLer.
Brickley-Corrado
Pedan-Prow
Taylor-Bengtsson

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
@Empoleon8771
Assuming Brickley signs an ATO, we’d have:

Brickley, top 6
Taylor, ECHL
Prow, top 6
Pedan, top 6
Bengtsson, #7-8 in WBS
Tinordi, #7-8 in WBS
Trotman, top 6
Summers, top 6
Czuczman, top 6

Corrado is out for the year, no?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Based on how Guerin has run WBS, he won't go with that much inexperience on defense.

Realistically Taylor at least will see ECHL time anyway and they’d carry some vets without playing the younger guys every game. It’s at the point where Pedan and Corrado aren’t exactly inexperienced either.

Guerin would shit a brick over the size, though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
@Empoleon8771
Assuming Brickley signs an ATO, we’d have:

Brickley, top 6
Taylor, ECHL
Prow, top 6
Pedan, top 6
Bengtsson, #7-8 in WBS
Tinordi, #7-8 in WBS
Trotman, top 6
Summers, top 6
Czuczman, top 6

Corrado is out for the year, no?

I was talking more about next year than this year.

Realistically Taylor at least will see ECHL time anyway and they’d carry some vets without playing the younger guys every game. It’s at the point where Pedan and Corrado aren’t exactly inexperienced either.

Guerin would **** a brick over the size, though.

I don't think Taylor will see much ECHL time next year. He's putting up some really impressive numbers with Wheeling and has recently gotten a merit based recall back to WBS (also due to injuries). The problem is I see Guerin signing 3 or 4 guys like Tinordi or Trotman or Czuzman, it's already questionable how much space they have without signing those guys.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't think Taylor will see much ECHL time next year. He's putting up some really impressive numbers with Wheeling and has recently gotten a merit based recall back to WBS (also due to injuries). The problem is I see Guerin signing 3 or 4 guys like Tinordi or Trotman or Czuzman, it's already questionable how much space they have without signing those guys.

Hmmm, I’ll take your word on Taylor. I suppose it’s possible Bengtsson doesn’t re-sign but assuming Bengtsson, Pedan and Corrado are all back and in WBS.

Bengtsson
Corrado
Prow
Taylor
Pedan
Brickley
Summers
Tinordi

Summers is signed for next season and Tinordi is an RFA. WBS has 9 defensemen who are signed with the Pens and have used 12 this season. 8 who I would call regulars by games played and injuries of course factoring in. That gives them 8, and if you call Tinordi, Summers, Pedan and Corrado experienced maybe Guerin can stomach it or be told to deal with it. Just tell him Brickley has size.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Ohlund's Brynas team beat Lulea last night in the first of their series in the SHL play-offs. Winner of the three game series goes through to play Vaxjo.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I'd let go of Prow and Bengtsson might be better off heading back to Sweden and away from the Pens injury juju.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad