Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
For me, when I hear someone describe a player as "big" I usually think they mean in the 6'3+ range. For an NHL player, 6'0 or 6'1 isn't small, but I also wouldn't immediately describe that player as big.

For instance, with our prospects on defense I'd never describe Lauzon as a "big defenseman" at 6'0 or 6'1. Connor Hall, on the other hand, I'd expect someone to mention how big he is at 6'4.

We are just used to most of our forwards being under 6 feet.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
For me, when I hear someone describe a player as "big" I usually think they mean in the 6'3+ range. For an NHL player, 6'0 or 6'1 isn't small, but I also wouldn't immediately describe that player as big.

For instance, with our prospects on defense I'd never describe Lauzon as a "big defenseman" at 6'0 or 6'1. Connor Hall, on the other hand, I'd expect someone to mention how big he is at 6'4.

It's also weight to. Like Ian Cole is a big guy, but he's like 6'1 215.

Guys 6' and under 200lbs I don't really consider to be big I guess.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
From that short video it is clear he's got a good shot, battles hard and goes to the net. Looks to me like he'll be a winger at the pro level.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The Bellerive not being drafted situation is so odd...

I remember watching him in the prospects game and wondering who he was.. figured an over ager because he wasn't drafted... the only thing I could find was a blog article that had to use quotes from his dad about his game, because they couldn't find anything on him either.

So bizarre and I wonder where he would have went this year?

Second round maybe?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The Bellerive not being drafted situation is so odd...

I remember watching him in the prospects game and wondering who he was.. figured an over ager because he wasn't drafted... the only thing I could find was a blog article that had to use quotes from his dad about his game, because they couldn't find anything on him either.

So bizarre and I wonder where he would have went this year?

Second round maybe?
Sadly he's our problem now. :pickle:

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Probably around where Bjorkqvist went, maybe higher, provided, of course, that there isn't some weird issue which we aren't privy to that caused him to go undrafted. The ceiling for an overager who isn't a total freak is probably high second.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
After watching Jordy in preseason camp and watching his highlights, I would put him a very close 2nd behind Sprong as our best prospect. He's built the exact way a smallish type player should be built. I see as Marchand type of player, very tough to play against, very tough to know of his skates.

Super excited

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Not a Pens prospect but Austin Lemieux is someone I keep an eye on. He redshirted his first year at Arizona Univ. What does that mean?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It basically means he’s not yet good enough to play but can’t go anywhere else.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
ASU is basically an expansion program. If you are red-shirting there, likely don't have a pro career ahead of you. Still hoping for the guy though. Always remember his face when thinking of Mario's return.

Reactions: Shady Machine

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Redshirting is pretty common in Football but if you redshirt in Hockey then it basically means you'd do well to make the AHL never mind the NHL.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
NCAA playoff update:

Cornell 9-1 over Quinnipiac (Angello -1A) and Providence 4-3 over Maine (Bjorkvist - 1A) were winners in game 1s last night. UConn (Maonius - 0pts), Michigan Tech (Birks - pts) and UNO (Jones - 0pts) were losers in their game 1s. Penn St plays their semi-final against Notre Dame tonight (unsure if Pavlychev is playing), no series, just one game and done.

Losses for UConn and Michigan Tech tonight would spell the end of their seasons. UNO is a bubble team for the tournament, and Penn St likely gets into the tourny even if they lose, but not a guarantee yet. Clayton Phillips and Minnesota are already eliminated from conference play and need to wait and see if they can get a ticket to the dance (I suspect they won't when all is said an done). Cornell and Providence are shoe-ins for the dance, and UConn and Michigan Tech would need to win their conferences.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Similar to Bellerive is Point, how did that guy fall to the late 3rd? He had 91 points in his draft year, almost 40 more than the next guy on his team. I mean he’s small but he’s not a midget, and he could always skate well, which is paramount for overcoming a lack of size.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Similar to Bellerive is Point, how did that guy fall to the late 3rd? He had 91 points in his draft year, almost 40 more than the next guy on his team. I mean he’s small but he’s not a midget, and he could always skate well, which is paramount for overcoming a lack of size.

I think because, at the time, a guy like Point is something you see often in junior hockey -- small-ish but skilled point producer -- who rarely pans out at the NHL level. Just look at the WHL scoring leaders right now; it's probably a slim chance that the guys with 60+ goals, 120+ points will translate to NHL scorers.

So that's why I think a guy like that gets taken in the mid-rounds. He's intriguing enough because of his skillset to take a chance on in the 3rd or 4th round, but risky enough to avoid in the first couple of rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad