Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Linus Olund beat Gustavsson (altho hes not ours anymore) in the 3 and final game of the play-in for the playoffs.
Olund had 1+1, the goal was an empty netter, so its good to see he is trusted late in the games.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Adam McQuaid, Kevan Miller, Marc Methot, Greg Pateryn, Dan Girardi and Josh Manson.

McQuaid had 31 points in his final season of junior. Girardi scored 47 and 39 points, respectively, in his final two junior seasons. Both of those totals, while not huge, dwarf the production of what Lauzon or Hall have done.

I don't know enough about NCAA hockey to know how good those point totals are for Miller or Manson. Manson did produce quite well in the BCHL before making the move to US college hockey, though.

As for Pateryn, he's not an NHL regular. His name seems weird to add to that list.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Draft season production for CHL players:

Lauzon: 21 points in 63 games
Muzzin: 4 points in 37 games
McQuaid: 19 points in 66 games
Methot: 15 points in 68 games
Quincey: 18 points in 66 games
Franson: 13 points in 64 games
Mike Weber: 26 points in 68 games
Bortuzzo: 14 points in 63 games

People really need to chill with Lauzon. He's having a bad year due to injuries, but it's incredibly shortsighted to write him off because of it. He had a good draft year last year and won the QMJHL defensemen of the year award. That's really impressive. Sure, he's had a bad year this year, but he has also missed like 60% of games.

Another name you can add to a list of guys who couldn't produce at all below the NHL, yet became NHL regulars, is Eric Gryba. He wasn't great in the NHL, but he was a NHL regular for a couple of years. Never had more than 10 points in college hockey and never had more than 15 in juniors.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Again, id rather not pay attention to Lauzon...after seeing what Hague is doing.

Rather hear more about Ohlund. Who he compares to.

By the way, We are gonna have to start trading some of our forward prospects for dmen...the anti shero route.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Angello (0pts) and Cornell bounced by Princeton in an upset. Cornell will get an at large bid in the tourny though, so at least one game left for him.

Earlier in the week Angello was named a 2nd team conference all-star

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Draft season production for CHL players:

Lauzon: 21 points in 63 games
Muzzin: 4 points in 37 games
McQuaid: 19 points in 66 games
Methot: 15 points in 68 games
Quincey: 18 points in 66 games
Franson: 13 points in 64 games
Mike Weber: 26 points in 68 games
Bortuzzo: 14 points in 63 games

People really need to chill with Lauzon. He's having a bad year due to injuries, but it's incredibly shortsighted to write him off because of it. He had a good draft year last year and won the QMJHL defensemen of the year award. That's really impressive. Sure, he's had a bad year this year, but he has also missed like 60% of games.

My issue with Lauzon isn't even about his draft year totals. It's about the fact he hasn't made any strides to show he has that ability to break out offensively. Most of the guys you listed improved upon their draft year stats by the time they moved on from junior hockey. Even accounting for injuries, Lauzon's offensive totals haven't improved in the games he has played over his draft year.

FYI, Lauzon didn't win Defenseman of the Year. He won Defensive Defenseman of the Year. Minor point.

Reactions: Brandinho

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
My issue with Lauzon isn't even about his draft year totals. It's about the fact he hasn't made any strides to show he has that ability to break out offensively. Most of the guys you listed improved upon their draft year stats by the time they moved on from junior hockey. Even accounting for injuries, Lauzon's offensive totals haven't improved in the games he has played over his draft year.

FYI, Lauzon didn't win Defenseman of the Year. He won Defensive Defenseman of the Year. Minor point.
Maybe Lauzon has some Brian Dumoulin in his game? I’m not giving up on Lauzon, we picked him in the second round for a reason.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Again, id rather not pay attention to Lauzon...after seeing what Hague is doing.

Rather hear more about Ohlund. Who he compares to.

By the way, We are gonna have to start trading some of our forward prospects for dmen...the anti shero route.

Daniel Brickley is the hot name for blueline college UFAs this spring. Suppose to be close to NHL ready.

I'm 100% sure JR is in the mix, but as always up to the players priorities. Pens winning culture, opportunities given to college UFAs, and ass shitty blueline prospect pool are all big in their favor.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Daniel Brickley is the hot name for blueline college UFAs this spring. Suppose to be close to NHL ready.

I'm 100% sure JR is in the mix, but as always up to the players priorities. Pens winning culture, opportunities given to college UFAs, and ass ****ty blueline prospect pool are all big in their favor.

Thats what i was hoping for when seeing his name mentioned, reading about him.

Cant see any reason why he wouldnt give the Pens a serious look after what you said above

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I'm 100% sure JR is in the mix, but as always up to the players priorities. Pens winning culture, opportunities given to college UFAs, and ass ****ty blueline prospect pool are all big in their favor.

Not in their favour, I have a hard time seeing them promise him a spot on the nhl roster.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Not in their favour, I have a hard time seeing them promise him a spot on the nhl roster.

You should never operate that way as a league GM of a top team anyway. You only are promised spots on shitty teams. Maybe it worked out for Butcher, but that's rare.

He doesn't have to be full of brains to see he could be one injury away from leapfrogging their other prospects to the NHL.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
You should never operate that way as a league GM of a top team anyway. You only are promised spots on ****ty teams. Maybe it worked out for Butcher, but that's rare.

He doesn't have to be full of brains to see he could be one injury away from leapfrogging their other prospects to the NHL.

We’ll, unfortunately it’s probably 2 injuries right now but I get what you’re saying.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Ohlund and Brynas start their play-off series against Vaxjo tomorrow. Best of 7. Vaxjo dominated the league

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

As things stand, one of Ruhwedel or Hunwick is no 6 dman going into next season. Even with no promises, that's gotta be a reasonable shot at making the top 6 out of camp and an even better one at making it by the play offs. Creates some roster complications if he does, but not huge ones.

Doesn't help if he wants a promise, but if he just wants a chance...

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
And he saw us give ZAR a chance to stick(before getting hurt).

Can also see us trading Hunwick in the offseason unlesss he does something great in the playoffs.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
What's happening with NCAA free agents? ZAR was signed on March 14th last year, it's March 17th rn. I find it odd that there aren't even rumours like last year. Very weird.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What's happening with NCAA free agents? ZAR was signed on March 14th last year, it's March 17th rn. I find it odd that there aren't even rumours like last year. Very weird.

They can't sign until play offs are over so only people not in play-offs are signing at this time.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I'd be surprised to see Brickley sign here but then ZAR signing here was a surprise.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Maybe Lauzon has some Brian Dumoulin in his game? I’m not giving up on Lauzon, we picked him in the second round for a reason.

Maybe. But even Dumoulin put up healthy offensive totals in college.

And yeah, we took him for a reason. We also took Connor Hall high for a reason. Doesn't mean it was a *good* reason. Time will tell, though.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Injuries has so much to do with development. Hall is simply injured far to often to actually see what he is or isn't. D men take longer but you have to play and gain needed experience at each level. Pens like the game that Lauzon has so allow him time to develop but he needs to come back and play. Pens have very few openings on the big club and unless trades are made this off season, Pens have 6 D for next year now. But you need the feeder farm system to keep a favorable cap and provide competition for roster spots.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Providence knocked off a very good Northeastern team in OT last night. Bjorkqvist tied the game with 2min left. Go to the 6:15 mark of the video for the goal. They play Boston U tonight for the conference championship. Dane Birks and Michigan Tech also play for their conference championship tonight against Northern Michigan.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Providence knocked off a very good Northeastern team in OT last night. Bjorkqvist tied the game with 2min left. Go to the 6:15 mark of the video for the goal. They play Boston U tonight for the conference championship. Dane Birks and Michigan Tech also play for their conference championship tonight against Northern Michigan.

Nice hands there by Kasper. Keep forgetting about him.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
CHL regular season ends this weekend.

In the Q, D'orio (St John) and Drozg (Shawinigan) see their seasons come to an end. Assume D'orio will get a PTO with WBS to at least get some practice time in. Drozg probably will too, however Slovenia is in the b pool of the world championships in April, and I assume he will be on the roster.

Lauzon and Rouyn Noranda finished 7th and draw Sherbrooke in the first round. Should be a tight series. Sherbrooke's most notable player is Samuel Poulin (2019 draft eligible and son of former NHLer Patrick Poulin). Drafted 2nd overall behind early favorite to be the 2020 1st overall NHL pick Alexis Lafreniere (do yourself a favor and watch this kid play if you ever get the chance).

In the OHL, Sam Miletic (6th in OHL scoring) and Niagra will play Oshawa in the first round in what should be a tight series. Oshawa is led by Boston 2nd rounder Jack Studnicka. They also feature Nik Antropov's son Danil. Connor Hall and Kitchener finished 2nd in their conference, but their opponent has not been determined yet (Windsor, Guelph or Saginaw), all of which would be heavy underdogs.

In the WHL, Jordy Bellervie and Lethbridge draw Red Deer in the first round. WHL has a similar playoff format as the NHL does. Lethbridge and Red Deer finished 8th and 9th in their conference point wise, but 2nd and third in their division, so they play each other in the first round in what should be a tight series. Medicine Hat won their division and had less points than 4 teams in the other division in the conference (they have home ice against a team that had more points than they did). If a scenario like this played out in the NHL, hopefully it would spell the end of the dumb divisional format, however, if the Caps/Pens playing each other in the second round two years in a row didn't convince them it is a terrible format, they may never be convinced. I think our best hope would be if say two strong Canadian teams played each other in the second round instead of the conference finals some year. That would get the Canadian media all riled up, which is usually what it takes for change to happen, and unfortunately they don't pay much attention to American teams and their issues.

Reactions: Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->