Confirmed with Link: [PIT/ANA] Ben Lovejoy for a 5th round pick in 2014

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
One, he fully embraces the Reverend Lovejoy name :)

Two, I hate this trade (like every other trade our GM has made :@). We just traded a 5th rounder for a guy who slots in as an 8th D (and 9 if Lindholm is good to go)

Fowler, Beauchemin, Sbisa, Souray, Lydman, Allen, Vatanen

Also, him being better than Hendry is debateable even :(

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

Two, I hate this trade (like every other trade our GM has made :@). We just traded a 5th rounder for a guy who slots in as an 8th D (and 9 if Lindholm is good to go)

Vatanen isn't going to sit on the bench and neither is Lindholm. I guess BM/BB wanted what has been talked about earlier, a defenseman to help the transition game (even if Lovejoy will only do it in a depth role). Vatanen has been ok, but not good enough to stay with the big club imo. He's better of playing all situations in Norfolk than being sheltered in the NHL.

Some are overreacting. A 5th rounder is nothing, it has almost no more value than a 6th or 7th rounder. Especially not a 5th rounder that's not even in this year.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think its a great pick up... gives us depth in case injuries dont go away(fowler, lindholm) and potential future injuries , he is a ufa at end of season. It definitely doesn't hurt the team thats for sure.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
So what's an 8th defenseman worth in your opinion?

Depends...if it was an 8th D that either fits the role properly (ie brings a skill that will be a benefit when it is integrated like an Engelland/Carkner/even Brookbank or Guenin), then I'd be offering a conditional pick based on how much the guy plays.

Lovejoy isn't one of those. He is a safe D with no strengths. He is Hendry-like (from what I've seen of Hendry). These are the guys you trade your "needs a change of scenery" for.

I would rather have given the pick for someone that has some kind of potential. A guy like Alex Grant probably could have been had for the pick, can play in Norfolk (when we need to reduce) and actually has a skill that would be beneficial to us (though admittedly, he is weaker in his own end).

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Vatanen isn't going to sit on the bench and neither is Lindholm. I guess BM/BB wanted what has been talked about earlier, a defenseman to help the transition game (even if Lovejoy will only do it in a depth role). Vatanen has been ok, but not good enough to stay with the big club imo. He's better of playing all situations in Norfolk than being sheltered in the NHL.

Some are overreacting. A 5th rounder is nothing, it has almost no more value than a 6th or 7th rounder. Especially not a 5th rounder that's not even in this year.

Lovejoy does not help transition. Not unless something drastically changed.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
just put him with a defence first type of guy so he can run around and do his thing. and i think you will like the kid. but he will never be a top four so don't get your hopes up.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Lovejoy wasn't acquired to fill a specific role. Per Murray, he was a guy they'd liked for a while as a depth option, and they pulled the trigger now because they figure to go through as many as 11 defensemen due to the compessed schedule.

He's a cheap depth option, and when everyone's healthy, he makes Norfolk better. More than worth a 5th round pick IMO.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Lovejoy wasn't acquired to fill a specific role. Per Murray, he was a guy they'd liked for a while as a depth option, and they pulled the trigger now because they figure to go through as many as 11 defensemen due to the compessed schedule.

He's a cheap depth option, and when everyone's healthy, he makes Norfolk better. More than worth a 5th round pick IMO.

Exactly and were not stuck with a contract after this year if it doesn't work out. I personally think it helps the team a lot... we have a proven nhl player with experience playoffs/regular season, could also be used to give our older dmen (souray/lydman/allen/beauch) rest if they need it in tough parts of the schedule... or take a few games from allen when hes playing like himself.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Lovejoy does not help transition. Not unless something drastically changed.

I don't think it's why he was brought in, but he skates better than Allen, Beauchemin, Souray, Hendry and Guenin. And he has a better break out pass than a few of those guys. A pairing of Allen-Lovejoy is gonna move the puck better than Allen-Guenin/Hendry in case of an injury. In that sense he helps the transition out, that's really all I meant... Our depth was lacking mobility, unless Vatanen and/or Lindholm are going to be in the lineup frequently which I doubt.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If that really is true, then I'm more than happy with this trade. If he's that much better than Guenin/Hendry, then he's a pretty damn good 7th defenseman

For what it's worth, the Pen's play by play announcer (who is an idiot, but anyway) said last week "Ben Lovejoy might be the best 7th dman in the league". :laugh:

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Lovejoy will not be going to the AHL, unless you want to subject him to waivers.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust

Quick, name a player we've taken in the 5th round who was worth a damn. Not only that it's for next year's draft. This is as low a price as you can give to acquire a player. No risk.

Hendry is okay, I guess but I like the idea of having another right-handed d-man in the rotation.

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
I hope Murray asked about Montreal's Yannick Weber before acquiring Lovejoy. Weber could've brought some puck-moving and maybe help out the PP too. It would've probably cost a bit more, but I just think he might've been a better fit. He also would've fit right in with his countrymen Hiller and Sbisa already here. I know we already an another undersized PMD in Vatanen, but I just don't think Sami is quite there yet. I hope he'll prove me wrong in the next few games. That is if he doesn't get send down now that they acquired Lovejoy.

Anyway, about Lovejoy. Dude was funny in 24/7 and he has an awesome name. That's all I've got :D I hope he does well here, and if he doesn't, it's only a 5th round pick.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Echoing what other Pens fans already said - Lovejoy is a cheap (both in trade value and cap hit) depth defenseman who doesn't excel at anything but is skilled enough to stick around as a 7th defenseman. A bit of a late bloomer, he worked his way up from an undrafted AHL signee to a multi-year NHL one-way deal (even if it's at league minimum) but being almost 29 he'll never be more than he is now.

The Reverend has solid size but will never use it the way you'd hope. Not afraid to take a hit but won't dish out much, has zero mean streak to him so he's rather easy to play against. Skates well and can join the rush or make some passes. Also has a right-handed shot that's not very hard but usually gets through to the net. From doing a quick check you don't seem to have any righties at all on D except for Vatanen. Biggest downside is he cannot handle prolonged pressure in his own zone as he's not very strong along the boards and tends to lose his assignments, leaving people open for easy goals.

Also a pretty likeable guy and good teammate but with Després and Bortuzzo stepping up like they have there was no room for him anymore. Most Pens fans are relieved to see him go because we were afraid Bylsma would play him over the two kids, but otherwise most of us wish him well.

Professor John Frink

Apr 26, 2002
Visit site
I'm shocked at some of the people who dislike this. A 5th round pick rarely turns into anything of value. In fact in the history of the Ducks only three 5th round picks have ever played in the NHL(don't count Salcido's 2 games) and none since 2001(Joel Perreault) and he didn't even play for Anaheim, he played for Phoenix.

My point is if you can get a player who can somewhat hold his own in the NHL for a 5th round pick you do it every time. It's clearly a depth move and probably a move to give the Ducks another right handed option if they decide Vatanan needs more time in the AHL. Also allows the Ducks to send Hendry back down to help with the abysmal AHL team.

He will provide some offense while Fowler is out and the team decides what the best route is with Sami, just gives them more options, all for a pick that probably wouldn't have amounted to anything anyway.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Souray - Beuchemin
Sbisa - Lydman
Allen - Lovejoy/Vatanen

and when Fowler is back...

Allen - Fowler
Souray - Beauchemin
Sbisa - Lydman
Lovejoy

Looks like good depth to me. The problem with the D (on paper) is high end talent, but it hasn't been a problem thus far.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
The only concern I have regarding this trade is that it may mean Fowler is out an extended amount of time. I hope it is not the case. Other than that, I'm fine with it.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
The only concern I have regarding this trade is that it may mean Fowler is out an extended amount of time. I hope it is not the case. Other than that, I'm fine with it.

That's a concern I have as well but I am a little worried that when Fowler returns, we will see Lydman possibly dealt for futures, which IMO would be a big mistake.

Something will have to give though. I don't think Murray will keep 8 defenseman up. Vatanen being demoted is a possibility. Maybe a trade of one of Lydman or Sbisa. I just don't see Murray risking losing Lovejoy to waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad