Vanilla Playoffs: Where has the Hatred and Nastiness gone?

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009

Its odd. Physical 4th liner who plays 6 mins a game, injures opponent on questionable hit .. then doesnt drop the gloves when requested to

Theres no code or honor anymore

Rempe NOT fighting here is pathetic and symbolic

It's symbolic of how shitty the capitals are/were. I'd put $$$ on Rempe dropping the gloves if either the series is tied/close or the Rangers were losing.....but none of those things happened so Rempe knows better.

Edit: Hockey fans after Rempe's first five games: The kid needs to stop fighting and not feel obliged to go with every goon who wants to make himself relevent again.

Hockey fans when Rempe plays their team: He needs to fight! He needs to honour the code! The code!

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I like modern hockey. It’s exciting. I’d rather see skill showcased than meatheads giving each other CTE and swinging sticks like they are Paul Bunyan.

But…my fandom was born in the 90’s and I’m not gonna lie…as an Avs fan….those playoff tilts with Detroit and Dallas…that level of hate…yeah, it was intense. One of the Avs-Wings series they opened the games with “Fuel” by Metallica and a montage of all the intensity. That got you hyped like nothing today.

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
What? You seen that tackle by Smith on the Marchand?:laugh:
AA1o6fWz.img

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
The NHL is driving it with transparency, no attempt to disguise.

Scrums yield officials pulling one player aside and scolding as a child.

Last season was the true end of emotion as early in the 3rd period officials were already ending games with misconducts from any scrum.

Brutal NHL.

Difficult to find investment in other series than your own at this point.

Reactions: Oak

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
I like modern hockey. It’s exciting. I’d rather see skill showcased than meatheads giving each other CTE and swinging sticks like they are Paul Bunyan.

But…my fandom was born in the 90’s and I’m not gonna lie…as an Avs fan….those playoff tilts with Detroit and Dallas…that level of hate…yeah, it was intense. One of the Avs-Wings series they opened the games with “Fuel” by Metallica and a montage of all the intensity. That got you hyped like nothing today.
Nothing like those Wings/Avs hilights from the late 90s. Roy vs. Vernon, Roy vs Osgood, Roy vs Shanahan, etc etc.

Reactions: BKarchitect

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Yea even the most hard fought games I have seen so far, it's like there's no emotion. It's so weird. It's like I am watching robots on ice. Even seeing the fans of the two Florida teams being so cordial after the Tampa loss I was like alright, that's it for me. I don't want to live in that World. lol

Players are realizing more by the years they are celebrity millionaires playing a game.

It used to be driven by honor/passion/"code".

I would imagine more players than we wish to believe are perfectly content never winning a Cup at this point. Play the game, retire in comfort. It shows in the product, the interviews.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Players are realizing more by the years they are celebrity millionaires playing a game.

It used to be driven by honor/passion/"code".

I would imagine more players than we wish to believe are perfectly content never winning a Cup at this point. Play the game, retire in comfort. It shows in the product, the interviews.

Meh. Every generation does this. I remember the outrage of Lindros wanting to not go to Quebec. Spoiled teenager about to be a millionaire and he’s trying to dictate where he’s going to play before stepping foot in the league???

There were still old-timers who that players were…derogatory term…for wearing helmets.

Every generation complains that the newer generations are soft. Millennials are already doing it to Gen Zers. They in turn will do it Gen Alphas once those kids come of age and do things and have different priorities than todays generation have.

Reactions: ClydeLee and Satire

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Edit: Hockey fans after Rempe's first five games: The kid needs to stop fighting and not feel obliged to go with every goon who wants to make himself relevent again.

Hockey fans when Rempe plays their team: He needs to fight! He needs to honour the code! The code!
Hockey fans - Tom Wilson only fights people smaller than him
Hockey fans - Just because Tom Wilson is bigger doesnt excuse his hits

Hockey fans when Tom Wilson challenges a 6'8" Rempe - 'its smart hockey to not fight there .."
Hockey fans when they get their own Wilson - "hes just bigger ..."

----------------

But for real though .. a 4th tough guy injures someone with a penalized hit and then refuses to drop gloves with other teams tough guy ... thats soft even for 2024.

This thead is about soft

The clip I posted is the epitome of this softness

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Hockey fans - Tom Wilson only fights people smaller than him
Hockey fans - Just because Tom Wilson is bigger doesnt excuse his hits

Hockey fans when Tom Wilson challenges a 6'8" Rempe - 'its smart hockey to not fight there .."
Hockey fans when they get their own Wilson - "hes just bigger ..."

----------------

But for real though .. a 4th tough guy injures someone with a penalized hit and then refuses to drop gloves with other teams tough guy ... thats soft even for 2024.

This thead is about soft

The clip I posted is the epitome of this softness
Blame the coaches. I guarantee players are told not to engage when their team is up like the Rangers were.

Established players like Wilson can probably get away with disobeying coaches orders every now and then. But same grace probably isn't granted to 4th liners playing 5-6 minutes a game.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
You could just tell that the example would be Toronto. Just had to be Toronto. It's why they get all of the coverage.

Toronto and Boston have had some big hits. No fights, just swats at each other after the whistle, but no doubt there have been plenty of good hits.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Playing 32 cross conference games every season has killed rivalries and eliminated most excitement from the NHL. Only 4 out of 82 games against division opponents (4.8% of the season). Sometimes just 3 games!

Meanwhile, the NFL dedicates 2/17 games to divisional opponents (11.7%). That’s the equivalent of 9 NHL games per season.
Yes. I personally think the NHL needs to bring it down to 16. 1 game across conferences.
Alternate home and away each year.

Those 16 games? Give them to divisional games.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I knew this comment would come, and I've watched like 80% of games, even stay up late to catch the WC games. And no there hasn't been tons of fights or rivalries... I don't know how long you've been watching or if you're new to the NHL but the Stanley Cup playoffs used to have a lot more hatred & nastiness than what we're seeing this year, and it's not even close.

Haven't read whole thread but I have to agree. I know others say some series have been physical and they have. For me, the Kings hammered the Oilers in one game. Even though Oil won, they worked and paid for it.

But I know that's not what you're talking about. There used to be such hate, violence in the air, you could smell it like gunpowder! Especially when it would build up, build, build, then a cheap shot, bad call, or up by 3 score, and instant F ing yard sale.

God I miss those days! Just progression I guess

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Isn't this what we want hockey to become? The 'beautiful' game where skill and speed are put on display and barbarism and violence are non-existent? Where player's wellbeing, both physically and mentally, are of utmost importance?

Hockey is truly a beautiful sport - the most artistic I believe - when those attributes you mention are combined with the tangibles of players strength, will to win, battle level (not unlike a warrior), and yes - violence!

Reactions: Oak

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Hockey is truly a beautiful sport - the most artistic I believe - when those attributes you mention are combined with the tangibles of players strength, will to win, battle level (not unlike a warrior), and yes - violence!
But won't somebody please think of the children?!

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
This year's first round is completely devoid of any nastiness or hatred. No rivalries, no fights, no anger... Maybe it's the playoff format, maybe it's the phasing out of fighting and violence, I'm not entirely sure... but that magical element that makes the Stanley Cup playoffs the best show on television has been glaringly absent so far in the first round. This no longer feels like the playoffs I'm used to, anybody else feel the same?
I agree. The west has been better and more resembling playoff hockey but even in the west things are slightly down from previous years.

Bruins vs Leafs has been the most consistent in the east but most of the east games have been snoozers. Rangers series looked like regular season games, so did the battle of Florida which should have been a blood bath. Carolina never plays physical but I was hoping the Islander would play tougher which they didn't.

Shame what is happening to our beautiful game.

I thought the Oilers vs Kings had a ton of hate and hard battles. Lots of big hits from both sides. Ekholm and Arvidsson were involved in alot of rage battles this series which carried over from last year and the regular season.
Doughty was targetted a ton too.
Yea Oilers vs Kings has probably been the most fun series outside of the early Dallas vs Knights games. Forgot to add Colorado series was also great just for how fast and crazy the scoring was.

Last edited:

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Isn't this what we want hockey to become? The 'beautiful' game where skill and speed are put on display and barbarism and violence are non-existent? Where player's wellbeing, both physically and mentally, are of utmost importance?
The beautiful game is when toughness and physicality is added to the skill and speed. I don't want to watch games of shinny.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
The beautiful game is when toughness and physicality is added to the skill and speed. I don't want to watch games of shinny.
Apparently I did need to add an /s. Not sure how my post could be taken any way but sarcastic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad