Confirmed with Link: [PIT/ANA] Ben Lovejoy for a 5th round pick in 2014

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Lovejoy will be fine for you guys, as long as Boudreau doesn't develop the same weird infatuation with shoehorning him into the line up that Bylsma did. That's the main reason Pens fans are happy he's gone, not because he's a terrible player.

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas
That's a concern I have as well but I am a little worried that when Fowler returns, we will see Lydman possibly dealt for futures, which IMO would be a big mistake.

What? What about any transactions made by this team have given that indication? Lydman has still proved to be an integral part of our defense. This move just means we've got depth in situations like now where we're facing some injuries.

Also, I'd give it a 90% chance Vatanen is sent down, 9% Allen is scratched/traded, 1% chance anyone else is moved. We're winning right now. There's no reason to change the team at the moment.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
This move was made because Lydman got sick and Hendry is not very good. I mean he's alright but the management staff obviously feels Lovejoy will be a better as the spare d-man. I think Hendry gets sent back soon and I don't think Vatanen gets sent back at all unless he makes some serious mistakes. In the three games he's played I've seen a lot more good things than bad things with Vatanen. The way he moves the puck, reads the play and skates has me really excited. Sure he's made a few mistakes but nothing that he couldn't recover from and nothing that cost us a goal. Allen on the other hand...

But I can easily see us carrying 8 d-men with Lydman or Allen getting scratched every so often. Lovejoy is there purely for backup. He might get a few games in while Cam is out but when he's back I expect the Reverend to watch most games from the press box.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I definitely like the idea of resting few defenders especially during some back to back games. I wouldn't be surprised if Lovejoy gets his first game this week.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
From one of his other blog posts about his first call-up to the Pens. :laugh:

I got a nice one from Luca Caputi. I’m not sure how Luca would do in a spelling bee, but the guy can effortlessly recite, word for word, page 42 of the Hugo Boss catalogue if you asked him. “Beny, congradulasions in gittin called up…show dow…lol…u diserve it congrads pal.”

Last edited:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
That's a concern I have as well but I am a little worried that when Fowler returns, we will see Lydman possibly dealt for futures, which IMO would be a big mistake.

Something will have to give though. I don't think Murray will keep 8 defenseman up. Vatanen being demoted is a possibility. Maybe a trade of one of Lydman or Sbisa. I just don't see Murray risking losing Lovejoy to waivers.

We are not trading Lydman or Sbisa so as not to lose Lovejoy to waivers. If everybody is healthy we likely send Sami down to put some more meat on his bones or possibly we risk waivers to send Lovejoy down.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
We are not trading Lydman or Sbisa so as not to lose Lovejoy to waivers. If everybody is healthy we likely send Sami down to put some more meat on his bones or possibly we risk waivers to send Lovejoy down.
Yeah, that was a bit comical. People go a little too far in allowing their dislike of Murray to color their predictions.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

I never said that I thought we are for sure going to trade Lydman or Sbisa. I was responding to someone who was voicing a worry about the move, I was saying I do think it makes moving one of them a little more of a possibility. If it happened, I don't think it would happen soon. I also don't think we'd ever see Sbisa moved for futures. I think Vatanen's emergence makes him a possible trade candidate for forward help, although it probably won't happen. I am more worried that Murray would trade Lydman for futures some time this season now that we have 8 NHL defenseman. Basically all I'm saying is that it's a little more likely now than it was 48 hours ago. Don't think it happens but having 8 defenseman makes it more of a possibility.

I don't agree on Vatanen. I've said it since camp, Murray and BB love this kid. I said I thought there was more to Vatanen hanging around the club at the end of the camp than "just being around the ducks doctors" and many disagreed. I for one would much rather see Vatanen demoted then Lydman moved (if one had to be done), I'm just not so sure Murray and bb feel that way as well. Unless Vatanen plays bad, I don't see him going back down.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Lovejoy wasn't acquired to fill a specific role. Per Murray, he was a guy they'd liked for a while as a depth option, and they pulled the trigger now because they figure to go through as many as 11 defensemen due to the compessed schedule.
Recall BB mentioned that he wants to give some of his veterans days off in this compressed schedule. And now that most of our forward chemisty woes have been settled, BB may carry two extra d-men than one extra forward.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
IMO, Lovejoy is here as cheap insurance policy for health reasons. Nothing else. Having him in no way changes or influences how BB plans to run the team or how BM negotiates deals.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
The spec is that there might possibly be a trade sometime this year since we have 8 NHL defenseman now. Likely? Probably not, but I don't think saying adding Lovejoy makes that a little more likely is far off.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The spec is that there might possibly be a trade sometime this year since we have 8 NHL defenseman now. Likely? Probably not, but I don't think saying adding Lovejoy makes that a little more likely is far off.

It just seems more likely that this is about sending Vatanen or Hendry back down.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
When Fowler comes back I'd assume Vatanen goes down and Lovejoy is the 7th guy. If they want to keep Vatanen up then one/some of the vets will rotate in and out of the lineup with Vatanen. Lovejoy is certainly not being brought in to play a keerole.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
It just seems more likely that this is about sending Vatanen or Hendry back down.

Oh I agree and have never said otherwise. Hendry should already be back IMO. However I don't know if Vatanen will be sent back, although I'd rather him be in the AHL than playing 1 out of every 3 games. I personally don't see us keeping 8 defenseman up when Fowler is healthy.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Oh I agree and have never said otherwise. Hendry should already be back IMO. However I don't know if Vatanen will be sent back, although I'd rather him be in the AHL than playing 1 out of every 3 games. I personally don't see us keeping 8 defenseman up when Fowler is healthy.

I really hope Boudreau isn't planning on rotating him against certain teams. The kid has talent, but either he's ready for a full-time spot, or he isn't.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I really hope Boudreau isn't planning on rotating him against certain teams. The kid has talent, but either he's ready for a full-time spot, or he isn't.

Agreed.

I just think there's possibly more to this when we think. Both Murray and BB clearly love Vatanen and Lindholm. I'm just worried about Lydman being odd man out here. I'm all for 7 defenseman rotating in and out but 8 is too much to all play regularly IMO.

Hendry is going to go back, no question.

I imagine Lindholm might get a game or two and then goes back.

It makes a lot of sense to just assume they plan to send Vatanen back once Fowler is healthy, and tonight's benching kinda points towards that, but still not convinced. Although i hope they bench him if he's not ready. Definitely don't want to see Lydman moved for futures.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Meh. Didn't give anything up, didn't get anything in return.

If I were trying to be negative, I would complain that a 7th/8th defenseman could have been easily signed as a UFA for free. Or something like "Murray should have known that Hendry/Guenin/Guentzel/etc would not cut it." But the cost is so minimal that that would just be nitpicking. And really, the true backup defensemen would probably be Lindholm/Vatanen.

It does seem like we've been perpetually looking for 7th defensemen though. Year after year. I guess it's the nature of a 7th defenseman though. If they were good enough to keep, they would become a #6.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I thought he played well last night. Good skater and protected the puck well. A solid 7th defenseman for a 5th round pick seems like a good trade to me.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Am I the only one who thought he was our 3rd best defender last night? I thought he looked great. He protected the puck well with his body and the guy can skate.

Obviously that doesnt mean he will stay that way but I was impressed.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Am I the only one who thought he was our 3rd best defender last night? I thought he looked great. He protected the puck well with his body and the guy can skate.

Obviously that doesnt mean he will stay that way but I was impressed.
No i was very impressed by him, id almost say he was the best defender last night. Obviously its one game.... but wasnt a bad start for him at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad