Confirmed with Link: [PIT/ANA] Ben Lovejoy for a 5th round pick in 2014

Corey Perry*

Not bad. We needed another righty. I haven't seen much of him, but having another #7 option won't hurt.

EDIT: Seems like Pittsburgh fans are very happy to get rid of him, but I expected that.

Last edited by a moderator:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Not terrible. Better than Hendry and he might even be better than Vatanen and Allen

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
EDIT: Seems like Pittsburgh fans are very happy to get rid of him, but I expected that.

It's more that we just have better options that he shouldn't be taking ice time from, than he is completely horrible (though, he really isn't good on any sort of regular basis).

Posted this in the trade thread...

Pretty darn good skater. Has a decent shot, and is adept at jumping into the rush. His downfall is he's just too inconsistent defensively, resulting in more turnovers and missed assignments than you'd like from a depth guy.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Not bad. We needed another righty. I haven't seen much of him, but having another #7 option won't hurt.

It's mostly that we have really good D prospects like Despres that we want to see in the lineup instead of Lovejoy.

Lovejoy has size and mobility but he makes some bad decision here and there. He certainly has the physical tools of an NHL D-Man. It's just a matter of if he'll ever figure out things mentally and make good decisions more regularly.

Anyway, I don't see any risk for you guys. He makes peanuts salary wise, you only gave up a 5th and he'll be UFA at the end of the year if he doesn't work out for you. Hopefully it does work out though. He's a good guy.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Won't know for sure until I see how he performs for the Ducks, but on paper I much prefer Lovejoy to Hendry. As mentioned it never hurts to add a righty into the mix with all these lefty D-men.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Great trade for a fifth. Looks like a he is a good depth D guy. has a decent amount of NHL Games, he is 6'2" 215lbs is a plus 20.

any of the following could be happening

1) fowler out for extended time
2) Hendry was a short term (one game fix)
3) Fowler is coming back and Vatanen and hendry are going back down

Who knows but I hope it is not #1

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Good move, depth, right shot ... Can't complain for the assets used.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Great trade for a fifth. Looks like a he is a good depth D guy. has a decent amount of NHL Games, he is 6'2" 215lbs is a plus 20.

any of the following could be happening

1) fowler out for extended time
2) Hendry was a short term (one game fix)
3) Fowler is coming back and Vatanen and hendry are going back down

Who knows but I hope it is not #1

4) Lindholm will remain out for an extended time

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Lovejoy needed a change of scenery. If he plays up to his capabilities he's a better #7 guy than Hendry and Guenin. Awesome name too.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
meh. i think we gave up too much personally.. we've been doing well in drafting so i would've liked to had only given up a 6th or 7th. but at least its in 2014

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Typical 7th defender...good skater, well liked by his teammates, decent pass, appalling defense.

He's not as bad as most Penguins fans will say he is...he's just worse than the kids he was taking ice time and a roster spot away from.

Wish him all the best with you guys.

And yes, he's twice the player Nate Guenin is at the very least.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Typical 7th defender...good skater, well liked by his teammates, decent pass, appalling defense.

He's not as bad as most Penguins fans will say he is...he's just worse than the kids he was taking ice time and a roster spot away from.

Wish him all the best with you guys.

And yes, he's twice the player Nate Guenin is at the very least.

If that really is true, then I'm more than happy with this trade. If he's that much better than Guenin/Hendry, then he's a pretty damn good 7th defenseman

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Lovejoy...

Huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhu

BeavisButthead_med.jpg

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
If that really is true, then I'm more than happy with this trade. If he's that much better than Guenin/Hendry, then he's a pretty damn good 7th defenseman

Guenin has played with the Penguins, their fans don't know him like we do. Guenin was solid in his role last season, but that was a career year for him. So historically, Lovejoy >>> Guenin.

Guenin - 32 career NHL games.
Lovejoy - 98 career NHL games + 9 playoff games (while also being two years younger).

He's not quite the type of 7th defenseman the team has been used to have in recent years though, not that rugged. Ducks fans will hate when I say it, but he's not too different from Steve Eminger. There's one big dfferance though, Eminger was used in a top 4 role often playing up towards 20 minutes a night, while Lovejoy should be paired with Allen or Lydman and play no more than 12-13 minutes, when he's actually in the lineup.

Last edited:

Corey Perry*

All is well in the:

34490225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad