Speculation: Pinder: April 9th Oilers will Change Gm or Coach

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I believe it was Jeff Marek in a 31 Thoughts Podcast with Friedman. He couldn't confirm it, but he had a source who said Katz is livid with the season and wanted to fire the whole crew after they got their balls kicked up into their ribs by Dallas in that afternoon game.
What Friedman said was that he had heard the Oilers were number one in revenue generated last year after moving into the new rink and this year they weren’t. This apparently was the reason Katz was so livid. I think that confirms, as if we didn’t already suspect it, that Katz’ interest in doing anything is motivated more by money than anything else. Katz has no loyalties to Chiarelli and Mclellan like he does with Lowe and Mactavish. The way I see it, If he things one or both of them is costing him money, he’ll fire them. If he doesn’t then I doubt he has any interest in making changes regardless of what the team is doing on the ice.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
McLellan is going to be scapegoated because GMs usually get more than one kick at the can with a head coach. But Chia absolutely is the mastermind behind this disaster of a season.

Couldn't agree more. Tmac is bad, with the assistants being atrocious, but the real culprit is chia. Chia is the reason for this terrible season, and our bad position in the next few years

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
What Friedman said was that he had heard the Oilers were number one in revenue generated last year after moving into the new rink and this year they weren’t. This apparently was the reason Katz was so livid. I think that confirms, as if we didn’t already suspect it, that Katz’ interest in doing anything is motivated more by money than anything else.
I think you are mixing two things here. Marek said that he's been told Katz is fuming. Friedman added afterwards that the Oilers were apparently the highest revenue team last year because of the new arena, but he wasn't implying that's why Katz is mad. I'm sure that is part of it though.

Reactions: Night Witch

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
What Friedman said was that he had heard the Oilers were number one in revenue generated last year after moving into the new rink and this year they weren’t. This apparently was the reason Katz was so livid. I think that confirms, as if we didn’t already suspect it, that Katz’ interest in doing anything is motivated more by money than anything else. Katz has no loyalties to Chiarelli and Mclellan like he does with Lowe and Mactavish. The way I see it, If he things one or both of them is costing him money, he’ll fire them. If he doesn’t then I doubt he has any interest in making changes regardless of what the team is doing on the ice.

Oh wow, I never heard or seen that part of it. Pretty sad if this is true.

That said, firing the coach in January isn't going to bring in more revenue. They were too far out to get back in it with a new staff.

Perhaps there is a little from column A and a little from column B.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
McLellan is going to be scapegoated because GMs usually get more than one kick at the can with a head coach. But Chia absolutely is the mastermind behind this disaster of a season.
Did Chiarelli refuse to try Nuge and McDavid together for 3 years straight? Does Chiarelli put the 4th line out after every time we gained momentum back in a game? Chiarelli made this season more difficult than it should have been, but there's another stubborn boob who refused to stop the bleeding once the season started.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Chia has his issues, but can anyone make a case for the coaching staff maximizing the potential of the team the GM gave them? No frik'in way. The team massively under-performed, was not prepared many nights, and coaching staff was painfully slow to make needed changes to personnel and systems. All of the stuff that got TMac fired on SJ was repeated. He obviously learned nothing and seemed on auto-pilot for the entire year.

Bad goaltending, bad coaching and some bad luck sewered this season, and while you can make a reasonable case that the luck and goaltending could turn around next year. There is ZERO evidence TMac will change his ways. Zero.

TMac has a record of 111-105-22 in 3 seasons with McDavid and that is only 24th best in the league. He's done.

Reactions: OilDrop37

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The constant here is bad management since July 1, 2006.

The Oilers have had decent coaching since then. Mac T, Quinn, Renney, Krueger, Nelson, McLellan are all decent coaches. Only Eakins was truly bad but every other coach the Oilers have had since 2006 has at least been decent.

But the management since July 1, 2006? Has been consistently terrible making blunders and errors every single year since 2006.

Management is the rotting garbage that's stinking up the house, that's the root cause of it.

We have four awful GMs in a row (post-Pronger Lowe, Tambellini, Mac T, and now Chiarelli) and you can look at every year of each one of their tenures here and clearly see bad trades, bad draft choices, bad contracts, bad decision making.

Reactions: A91

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Gretzky is intriguing as GM
Would definitely not be in my top3 choices but he would undoubtedly command respect with the players and around the league.

The situation and sports are extremely different, but with that being said - My soccer team Real Madrid hired one of the best all time players and a Madrid legend in Zinedine Zidane to be manager/coach. He has won the closest thing soccer has to Lord Stanley in back to back years (Champions League) which hasn't been done in decades and also won a league title which is rarer for Madrid. Who were a good but underperforming team prior to his hiring.

Like I said, not preferable, but it is an intriguing option. I'm happy with him with his current role as is.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Should be both, but I'll make a guess that it's Todd and the gang. Or possibly just the assistants, if Todd can live with that, which is a real question more than it probably should be.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
No doubt Chiarelli has made some mistakes but overall he hasn't been abysmal. When he got here, he had McDavid/Draisaitl but the team and farm was a complete mess and there was no appetite for patience from ownership or the fans, he had to turn this team around in a hurry and had to take some risks to do it and some of them haven't panned out. Lucic contract obviously is the most notable but I think with a new coach they might be able to squeeze a bounce back year out of him next season, but if not there are some potential options, I'm sure he could become an LTIR candidate and if not I'm sure the players will opt out of the CBA after next season likely resulting in a work stoppage and there's a good chance that once again teams will receive at least one compliance buyout.

Chiarelli definitely neglected to fill some holes in this roster and banked too much on younger guys contributing more but realistically the coaching staff did an absolute terrible job coaching this team and they weren't even close to getting the full potential out of this roster.

Reactions: McCombo

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No doubt Chiarelli has made some mistakes but overall he hasn't been abysmal. When he got here, he had McDavid/Draisaitl but the team and farm was a complete mess and there was no appetite for patience from ownership or the fans, he had to turn this team around in a hurry and had to take some risks to do it and some of them haven't panned out. Lucic contract obviously is the most notable but I think with a new coach they might be able to squeeze a bounce back year out of him next season, but if not there are some potential options, I'm sure he could become an LTIR candidate and if not I'm sure the players will opt out of the CBA after next season likely resulting in a work stoppage and there's a good chance that once again teams will receive at least one compliance buyout.

Chiarelli definitely neglected to fill some holes in this roster and banked too much on younger guys contributing more but realistically the coaching staff did an absolute terrible job coaching this team and they weren't even close to getting the full potential out of this roster.

I'd gladly trade the current Oilers roster back to what it was on April 2015 and pass on Chiarelli entirely.

Bye Lucic, Benning, and Larsson. Lars is a good guy but he's not that much of a need for the Oilers.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
I'd gladly trade the current Oilers roster back to what it was on April 2015 and pass on Chiarelli entirely.

Bye Lucic, Benning, and Larsson. Lars is a good guy but he's not that much of a need for the Oilers.

So you where hoping taylor hall would get us one more #1 pick?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So you where hoping taylor hall would get us one more #1 pick?

As opposed to now waiting potentially 2-3 years hoping that Yamamoto or Puljujarvi can turn into Hall tier players so we can have a legit 2 line team that's an actual threat to win something?

Chiarelli is the worst possible hire, it's actually hilarious in a way that hiring him basically cock blocked us from the exact player type we needed most (right shot offensive D in Dougie Hamilton). You hire anyone else, even Paris Hilton and you're able to get that deal done, and we gave up a 2nd round pick to get this GM on top of that, lol.

Lucic is the worst signing in the history of this franchise. I would gladly take Ference or Fayne or Nikitin over his contract in a heart beat.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Paul Fenton for GM. Barry Trotz for coach. Jettison Chiarelli, the Koala and his fur-for-brains assistants, show MacT the door for crying out loud. Lowe is so far from hockey ops that, whatever, he can stay and deodorize Katz bowling shoes or whatever it is that he does. If Trotz isn’t available then Quenneville. Just no Tippet or Sutter.

Trotz hasn't accomplished anything with stacked teams. If the only goal is making it to playoff second round, then so be it.

Trotz can't win anything.

Reactions: Aerrol
Oct 15, 2008

No, you're right, defense is solid!

Pffft.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Klefbom-Russel
Sekera-Benning
Nurse-Davidson

This would be our right side without Larsson but maybe we would have had Hamilton if we didn't hire Chia. Larsson was a huge need for us but we payed to much for him.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I think that Chiarelli runs organizations well. Our scouting and development seem to have improved. Overall our hockey operations are far ahead of where they were under MacTavish. As a GM, he certainly does small trades well.

Unfortunately, he is not a good negotiator and tends to prize culture over talent. His contracts leave a lot to be desired, and he has trouble managing trades involving big assets.

I would be fine if Chiarelli became POHO-only and hired a GM who's a great negotiator.

We need to bring in new coaching staffs at both the NHL and AHL levels. We really missed out when Rocky Thompson went to the Chicago Wolves.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
As for Fenton, I'd be surprised if he moved anywhere. Poole is turning 68 this year, and my bet is that he's going to move upstairs soon enough. Fenton's in line to be GM of a phenomenal organization he helped build.

Reactions: Aerrol

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I wouldn't mind taking a stab at someone like David McNab of Anaheim, Kyle Dubas of Toronto, or Julien Brisebois of Tampa.

The big thing, again, would be the coaching. If we can't get Quenneville, do we hope that Bill Peters shakes loose? It's certainly not his fault that Carolina has had garbage goaltending for years.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Keith Gretzky can handle the scouting that's really not that big of a deal. If the logic for keeping Chiarelli is "well he makes a few good small trades evrey now and again" ... that's not very compelling logic in my book.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think that Chiarelli runs organizations well. Our scouting and development seem to have improved. Overall our hockey operations are far ahead of where they were under MacTavish. As a GM, he certainly does small trades well.

Unfortunately, he is not a good negotiator and tends to prize culture over talent. His contracts leave a lot to be desired, and he has trouble managing trades involving big assets.

I would be fine if Chiarelli became POHO-only and hired a GM who's a great negotiator.

We need to bring in new coaching staffs at both the NHL and AHL levels. We really missed out when Rocky Thompson went to the Chicago Wolves.

As for Fenton, I'd be surprised if he moved anywhere. Poole is turning 68 this year, and my bet is that he's going to move upstairs soon enough. Fenton's in line to be GM of a phenomenal organization he helped build.

I wouldn't mind taking a stab at someone like David McNab of Anaheim, Kyle Dubas of Toronto, or Julien Brisebois of Tampa.

The big thing, again, would be the coaching. If we can't get Quenneville, do we hope that Bill Peters shakes loose? It's certainly not his fault that Carolina has had garbage goaltending for years.

I agree with pretty much everything here and I think this should be their course of action. Chiarelli strictly as the POHO and bring in a guy who's been cutting his teeth for a successful organization that has a good farm and has drafted and developed well. As for Fenton, I don't think Poile is going anywhere in the next few years, he's built this team from the start and they are just reaching their pinnacle. He seems like a guy who genuinely loves his job and hockey in general and as long as his health doesn't deteriorate he'll likely remain pretty involved, he's also already POHO so not really anywhere else for him to go. Also his son is an asst. GM so there could be a bit of a power struggle if Poile were to exit. I like you other candidate, really like mcnab in Anaheim but I think he's content there, I mean you never hear his name come up for open jobs yet he's been a pretty integral part of Murray's team in Anaheim for a long time and they've done very well for themselves drafting and developing over the years. Dubas I don't think is going anywhere he will likely succeed Lou there and Brisebois would be one of my top choices but I think Montreal might can Bergevin and bring in Brisebois. Guy has been Yzerman's right hand and has helped them build a juggernaut that also has a stacked development system that continues to churn out quality players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad