Speculation: Pinder: April 9th Oilers will Change Gm or Coach

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
i think Shannon is pretty in touch with nhl ownership. I am guessing coach will be gone and Chia will get another year.

Reactions: PulYou

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Keeping Dallas Eakins and MacT around for more than 1 season was definitely the right call. You're right, continuity is the most important thing.
GM usually gets to bring in 2 coaches before they're fired I believe.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
GM usually gets to bring in 2 coaches before they're fired I believe.

It is usually the case. I actually hate Chia much more than I dislike McLellan, his bizarre special teams aside, but I'd like them both gone here.

But I'm not so stubborn as to say that I don't expect Chia to get a second shot. Unfortunately.

Reactions: Zaddy

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I want to see Katz hire Harland Williams to be head guy in charge of job terminations.

Harland-Williams-7-minute-abs.jpg

"Step into my office...'cause your f***in' fired!!"

Reactions: A91

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Keeping Dallas Eakins and MacT around for more than 1 season was definitely the right call. You're right, continuity is the most important thing.

Of course it was hard on the heels of MacT replacing Tambo and Eakins replacing Krueger.

Oilers were / are the laughing stock for how fast we switched out coaches and GMs after bad seasons.

The term “pulling an Oiler” was just used the other night on NHL Tonight here in the US in reference to a team switching its coaches and GMs like some change their underwear.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm betting on just assistant coaches.
that's what I guessed a little while ago even. I figured Chia and Tmac would basically be safe until midway into next season, just because last season was such a success and we've had some odd issues this season.

However, with this recent speculation, and that Nicholson interview, and the general feeling around the team now, I wonder. It really feels like if they make a change, it won't be minor like that. We tried changing our coaches assistants before with Eakins. It hardly made a difference, and quite frankly it would feel weird to change Tmac's assistants since they have been a tight group for a long, long time.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Of course it was hard on the heels of MacT replacing Tambo and Eakins replacing Krueger.

Oilers were / are the laughing stock for how fast we switched out coaches and GMs after bad seasons.

The term “pulling an Oiler” was just used the other night on NHL Tonight here in the US in reference to a team switching its coaches and GMs like some change their underwear.

I don't even care if we're being mocked for swapping too much. You know what's even more widely mocked around the league? Chiarelli's constant knack for dumping star players for peanuts.

Continuity is only important if you're continuing something worth keeping. Otherwise it's just a sunk-cost fallacy.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Both should be gone. I'd be fine with new coaching staff for next season if you're picking one.

We are going no where with these idiots in charge of our powerplay, PK and lines. Coaching staff is a quick fix that could help us next season, new GM probably more long term.

Quenneville or Trotz would be nice.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
that's what I guessed a little while ago even. I figured Chia and Tmac would basically be safe until midway into next season, just because last season was such a success and we've had some odd issues this season.

However, with this recent speculation, and that Nicholson interview, and the general feeling around the team now, I wonder. It really feels like if they make a change, it won't be minor like that. We tried changing our coaches assistants before with Eakins. It hardly made a difference, and quite frankly it would feel weird to change Tmac's assistants since they have been a tight group for a long, long time.

If this is the case, we will see who Mclellan's loyalties lie deepest with.

I can't see him lasting long with hand picked assistants if his crew is let go. He may even resign.
I can also see the Oilers hiring an associate coach if he sticks but the assistants are let go.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Both should be gone. I'd be fine with new coaching staff for next season if you're picking one.

We are going no where with these idiots in charge of our powerplay, PK and lines. Coaching staff is a quick fix that could help us next season, new GM probably more long term.

Quenneville or Trotz would be nice.

TBH I'd rather fire Chiarelli - the mistakes he's making have much longer term ramifications for the team than keeping McLellan too long. Plus I think McLellan has done a good job improving the team's even strength play. He's got a lot of warts, but even with all our struggles I still see a team that plays a lot more structured at ES now than before we hired him.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don't even care if we're being mocked for swapping too much. You know what's even more widely mocked around the league? Chiarelli's constant knack for dumping star players for peanuts.

Continuity is only important if you're continuing something worth keeping. Otherwise it's just a sunk-cost fallacy.

It’s a major contributing factor to being the Cleveland Browns or the Edmonton Oilers of the DoD.

Looks like this will rapidly devolve to yet another Fire Chia Fire TMac Fire Everyone thread this forum is known for.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
It’s a major contributing factor to being the Cleveland Browns or the Edmonton Oilers of the DoD.

Completely disagree. Consistently hiring managers who can't: make a trade, develop a player, or select a good coach is how you end up on that path. I suspect that if we could trade Katz for a less-meddling owner, our fortunes would turn around in a few seasons as well.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Completely disagree. Consistently hiring managers who can't: make a trade, develop a player, or select a good coach is how you end up on that path. I suspect that if we could trade Katz for a less-meddling owner, our fortunes would turn around in a few seasons as well.

So you want a less meddling owner who apparently had to be talked off the ledge by Nicholson and Gretzky from firing the guys you feel should be fired.

Funny how the Fire Chia crowd is right all the time even when they are wrong.

Reactions: shoop

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
So you want a less meddling owner who apparently had to be talked off the ledge by Nicholson and Gretzky from firing the guys you feel should be fired.

Funny how the Fire Chia crowd is right all the time even when they are wrong.

1. Let's see you source that, lol. Haven't heard any such thing.
2. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Chiarelli has made SOME good move, Katz occasionally has good instincts. He just also has way too much attachment to former Oilers instead of being focused on running a professional organization.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I could see Chiarelli hiring a GM, staying as POHO cause he doesn't think he can do both and the new GM hires a new coach.

I think MisterD said this in another thread as well. Interesting thought although Bobby Mac said he doubts the Oilers change both and start over.

Of course if that happens cue Gretzky as GM and Coffey as coach...and I'm not joking unfortunately.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
We arent talking about firing Krueger after giving him a lockout shortened season then firing him over skype. Chia and Koala have both been around a while. Long enough to eatablish a track record of ineptitude. When they demonstrably suck, continuity just leads to continual sucking.

Reactions: RattsSSV and Aerrol

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
1. Let's see you source that, lol. Haven't heard any such thing.
2. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Chiarelli has made SOME good move, Katz occasionally has good instincts. He just also has way too much attachment to former Oilers instead of being focused on running a professional organization.

It was when Gretzky and Nicholson followed the team on a road trip and then met Katz in LA at his new spread. Was reported by one of the insiders IIRC. The quote was along the lines that Katz is livid and wanted heads to roll, Gretzky and Nicholson talked him down and wanted the season to play out first.

Sorry I don’t have a link but it was out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad