Speculation: Pinder: April 9th Oilers will Change Gm or Coach

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Apparently on Fan90, he mentioned that 8-10 nil coaches will be fired and that Edmonton will make a change at the GM position or in the coaching position.

I don't know if he was speculating or saying it matter factly but interesting none the less

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
My money is on McClellan getting turfed. The special teams alone is enough of a reason and I can't see him being ok with Woof-croft being let go without falling on the sword with him. Chia will get at least one more year. Deal with it haters.

Reactions: PulYou

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
That is weird because him and Bob Stauffer are backing the Oilers coach week after week to the point where I have a hard time listening to them.

However if we are to replace our GM the GM would likely grab his own coach.

If anybody can find the audio to this I would love to hear it if they could provide a link

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
My money is on McClellan getting turfed. The special teams alone is enough of a reason and I can't see him being ok with Woof-croft being let go without falling on the sword with him. Chia will get at least one more year. Deal with it haters.

You actually support Chiarelli? Essssh.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
giphy.gif

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

It's not really us that has to deal with it. Connor McDavid, sadly, is the one who has to deal with it in the end. You put in the work to be the best player in the world and the management can't give you a good team to play with because they don't know how to trade or negotiate contracts.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That is weird because him and Bob Stauffer are backing the Oilers coach week after week to the point where I have a hard time listening to them.

However if we are to replace our GM the GM would likely grab his own coach.

If anybody can find the audio to this I would love to hear it if they could provide a link

I've noticed that too. Bob is much more willing to defend McLellan but kinda backs off on Chiarelli and defaults to a "when you are this bad, everyone gets something on them".

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Katz has any damn sense, even if they're not firing Chia, for the love of god, hire a new President of Hockey Ops to prevent or push back on Chia if he tries to make another stupid trade or signing.

Having Chia have both positions with no accountability is wildly reckless at this stage, it's like letting your kids to be babysat by a crack addict with no one else around.

Reactions: McAsuno

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Just waiting on Quenneville... he gets turfed, Oilers probably go hard after him.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

In regards to Chiarelli and McLellan
One question at the heart of the angst of a segment of Oilers fans, though, is whether or not Chiarelli should still be the one sitting at the general manager’s helm.
As the conversation on 1200 continued Thursday afternoon, Mendes asked McKenzie about his thoughts on the futures of the GM and head coach.
“Well, I can envision a scenario where both of them are back,” indicated McKenzie. “I could envision a scenario where maybe one of them is not and I think that’s more likely the coach not back than the general manager. And I suppose – I’m not sure I can envision a scenario whereby they clean house and they say, ‘The GM is gone, the coach is gone, and we’re starting all over again.’ I find that one hard to believe.
“But when this season ends, I mean Bob Nicholson has got to sit down with Daryl Katz and Wayne Gretzky and everybody else who belongs to the brain trust in Edmonton and sort out, ‘Okay, what are we doing here? What’s the plan.’ I’m sure they’ll want to do a postmortem with Chiarelli. I’m sure they’ll want to do a postmortem with Todd McLellan.
“And Bob Nicholson did give us a little bit of insight when he did a Hockey Night in Canada interview a couple of weeks ago where he talked about, ‘Well, you don’t just replace somebody unless you’ve got someone better to take over.’
“And so then the question becomes what might happen not in Edmonton at the end of this season that might influence those decisions. So what if Joel Quenneville becomes available. What if Barry Trotz becomes available. Does that change their thinking on Todd McLellan. I don’t know the answer to that question. But that’s in line with some of what Nicholson talked about saying you just don’t replace the coach and then go out and start looking. Todd McLellan is a good coach. I find it hard to believe that he should be or could be the fall guy for the season that they’ve had. But as I say, if they think they’ve got someone better, then he could be in trouble.
“Peter Chiarelli has obviously got to explain what went wrong, why it went wrong, and what he’s going to do to fix it and then sell Nicholson and Daryl Katz that it’s going to be different next year and here’s why it’s going to be different and here’s the plan. Then it’s a matter for them to decide, ‘Okay, do we have faith in Peter Chiarelli to do this, and do we have faith in Todd McLellan to do this.’
“And that’s when the decisions get made.”

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
will be the coach

If the oilers were going to sack Chia pet--he would not be doing any trades
unless the odd timing of this recent trade was out of some desperation, like he's looking to impress his bosses because he knows his time may be up

Regardless, I would bet that the Oilers still love Chiarelli. Just from that interview from Nicholson a few weeks ago, it really reeked of a coaching change.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Paul Fenton for GM. Barry Trotz for coach. Jettison Chiarelli, the Koala and his fur-for-brains assistants, show MacT the door for crying out loud. Lowe is so far from hockey ops that, whatever, he can stay and deodorize Katz bowling shoes or whatever it is that he does. If Trotz isn’t available then Quenneville. Just no Tippet or Sutter.

Reactions: RattsSSV and Aerrol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->