Speculation: Pinder: April 9th Oilers will Change Gm or Coach

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The significant difference is that I was never convinced the Kevin Lowe rebuild was going in the right direction. Your preferred vision is still built on that ideal. All offense, no defense. Your argument is always 'look at these teams' always pointing to teams that have enjoyed normal prospect development and many that had established defense cores. The Edmonton Oilers were a ****ing mess, man. Connor McDavid wasn't a ****ing get out of jail free card.

Keep pointing at the big, bad Chiarelli. He traded away all your favourite players. But this team is lacking depth because the Edmonton Oilers never ****ing had any.

Have you ever considered the possibility that, while changes needed to be made and the defense needed to be fixed blah blah blah etc etc etc, the actual way they went about doing so was flawed and, not only do we have miles to go before the D can be reasonably considered "fixed", the holes created in the process have yet to be filled and may never be?

Reactions: PGW

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The Oilers defense, while lacking the high-end depth can roll three pairings if needed. We have five, arguably six defenders who can play 20 minutes a night when needed. IMO the ultimate goal is to have the ability to roll a balanced defense. I don't think getting into an arms war at this position was even an option considering how weak it was at the beginning.

Anybody can play 20 minutes a night. Playing those kinds of minutes and still being effective is another story. We have maybe three guys who can do that and two of them are injured and the other one doesn't know there's two nets on the ice. That's that great core we're building around.

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Couldn't agree more, and in my mind that's probably their number 1 problem. Their stupid AHL team is nearly 2000 miles away and in a completely different ****ing time zone. You think any of those players are developing an allegiance to the Oilers, or learning how to play "Oilers Hockey"? Actually, maybe they are considering they're the 8th worst team in a 30 team league (which is pretty much where the Oilers are). You look at a team like the Jets where they've got multiple draft picks outside the 1st round (developed over 5 years) now contributing meaningfully in the NHL from the 2011, 2012 and 2013 drafts (I count 5 players, which includes their number 1 goalie); and compare that to the Oilers who only have: Jujhar Khaira and Anton Slepyshev to show for it (and I'd argue that Slepyshev still isn't contributing). I just picked the Jets because I follow them, but I imagine practically every other NHL team has drafted and developed more talent than the Oilers since 2011. They need to start down there, fire everyone related to running that team and move them somewhere where they can actually oversee it and make sure the players are learning to play with some pride. They need to hire scouts on the basis of scouting success as well and not because they're related to someone who played(s) or worked(s) for the organization. But that gets at the whole problem of accountability in an organization that's rife with sketchy hiring practices. Its hard for a GM to wheel and deal from a position of strength when he's got NOTHING to work with.

Sometimes I just wish I could be a fly on the wall listening to what goes on with this team. Some of the problems seem so obvious. You wonder why its so hard to address some of these things for the team.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Sometimes I just wish I could be a fly on the wall listening to what goes on with this team. Some of the problems seem so obvious. You wonder why its so hard to address some of these things for the team.

I don't think you really need to be a fly

When you watch crap like this, it just shows you how badly these "professionals" live under a rock. Or Chiarelli's negotiation skills which is just truly sad.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I don't think you really need to be a fly

When you watch crap like this, it just shows you how badly these "professionals" live under a rock. Or Chiarelli's negotiation skills which is just truly sad.

I have seen the video a few times. I think its hard to just view the video from just a snip it. You can tell from watching the video that a good portion of the Boston Management just didnt like Seguin and are frustrated by him. They had probably all discussed their unhappiness with Seguin many times and dealt with his off ice stuff a lot. Keith Gretzky in the video is really the only guy who sort of stands up for Seguin. Hard to say from watching the video if Chiarelli wants to trade Seguin or if he had been shopping him because Boston Management wanted him too. He seems uncomfortable with the situation though.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Depth, GK. Years of draft picks providing low cost options to fill out the remainder of the NHL roster. After Jujhar Khaira and Anton Slepyshev's eventual jump back to Russia the well's bone dry in regards to what they inherited from the MacT era.

JJ is from BC lol

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Huh? I’m saying Khaira won’t be bolting to Russia anytime soon he is from BC. Vancouver to be more accurate.
And I'm saying that Khaira is pretty much the lone remnant of our former management's draft finds after Anton bolts in the off-season. It was a poorly written sentence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad