Speculation: Pinder: April 9th Oilers will Change Gm or Coach

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
1. Let's see you source that, lol. Haven't heard any such thing.
2. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Chiarelli has made SOME good move, Katz occasionally has good instincts. He just also has way too much attachment to former Oilers instead of being focused on running a professional organization.

I wanna say it was in Friedman's 31 thoughts? Can't remember but I read it as well.

Reactions: Night Witch

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
We arent talking about firing Krueger after giving him a lockout shortened season then firing him over skype. Chia and Koala have both been around a while. Long enough to eatablish a track record of ineptitude. When they demonstrably suck, continuity just leads to continual sucking.

It’s not about Krueger. The Oilers established a long laughed at track record of firing coaches, then GMs. Didn’t work then. Won’t work now.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
1. Let's see you source that, lol. Haven't heard any such thing.
2. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Chiarelli has made SOME good move, Katz occasionally has good instincts. He just also has way too much attachment to former Oilers instead of being focused on running a professional organization.

It was when Gretzky and Nicholson followed the team on a road trip and then met Katz in LA at his new spread. Was reported by one of the insiders IIRC. The quote was along the lines that Katz is livid and wanted heads to roll, Gretzky and Nicholson talked him down and wanted the season to play out first.

Sorry I don’t have a link but it was out there.

I wanna say it was in Friedman's 31 thoughts? Can't remember but I read it as well.

I believe it was Jeff Marek in a 31 Thoughts Podcast with Friedman. He couldn't confirm it, but he had a source who said Katz is livid with the season and wanted to fire the whole crew after they got their balls kicked up into their ribs by Dallas in that afternoon game.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I believe it was Jeff Marek in a 31 Thoughts Podcast with Friedman. He couldn't confirm it, but he had a source who said Katz is livid with the season and wanted to fire the whole crew after they got their balls kicked up into their ribs by Dallas in that afternoon game.

Ok, fair enough - that's three people who say they've heard it. Good enough for me.

Still, wanting to make a call I agree with doesn't suddenly make Katz a good owner. He's just also not the worst around, sadly.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
We will have a better season next year and this is part of the growth of the team. Ownership showing patience is the right thing to do at this stage.

I don't doubt that we'll have a better season next year if we don't make any moves - there are factors of luck at play.

What I do doubt is that we'll do anything more than just barely make the playoffs, if that. Which, for an organization with Connor f***ing McDavid in his fourth year, is just unacceptable.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
That is weird because him and Bob Stauffer are backing the Oilers coach week after week to the point where I have a hard time listening to them.

However if we are to replace our GM the GM would likely grab his own coach.

If anybody can find the audio to this I would love to hear it if they could provide a link

Stauffer is a shill for this staff

Reactions: McFuhryous

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Ok, fair enough - that's three people who say they've heard it. Good enough for me.

Still, wanting to make a call I agree with doesn't suddenly make Katz a good owner. He's just also not the worst around, sadly.

No but you said he was a meddling owner. This meddling owner has 2 of the very best in Gretzky and Nicholson who are recommending patience and apparently talked him down.

Anyone who has read Gretzky’s book 99 Stories of the Game (a great book) will see he talks about being patient a lot. He has a huge say in what this team does going forward. And it will be a patient, and successful, approach.

This year will be a huge character builder for the players and I believe our coach and management will be given another year.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
McLellan is going to be scapegoated because GMs usually get more than one kick at the can with a head coach. But Chia absolutely is the mastermind behind this disaster of a season.

Reactions: Aerrol

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don't doubt that we'll have a better season next year if we don't make any moves - there are factors of luck at play.

What I do doubt is that we'll do anything more than just barely make the playoffs, if that. Which, for an organization with Connor ****ing McDavid in his fourth year, is just unacceptable.

It’s funny that you say if we are better it’s because we are lucky. Coach and GM will have nothing to do with it.

You forget the tire fire management started with. That takes time to dig out of and yes mistakes by this group were made along the way. But time will prove to be the correct choice I believe.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Found a link...this is verbatim.

I'm not going to enter the merits of Katz as an owner, it's a position he cannot be relieved from so we're stuck with him. I'll leave that for other posters to hash out, but at least it shows he has a pulse and gives a damn about the state of affairs if he is livid with how this season went.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
We will have a better season next year and this is part of the growth of the team. Ownership showing patience is the right thing to do at this stage.
I sincerely hope you are right. The major problem I have is that I just feel Chia is going to do more dumb things if given the chance. We all saw the Lucic contract coming just as we all now see a Nuge and/or Klefbom deal for lesser pieces incoming. I also foresee an overpay on the Nurse contract coming (though I do love him). It’s Chias Standard Operating Procedure.

Reactions: Aerrol

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I sincerely hope you are right. The major problem I have is that I just feel Chia is going to do more dumb things if given the chance. We all saw the Lucic contract coming just as we all now see a Nuge and/or Klefbom deal for lesser pieces incoming. I also foresee an overpay on the Nurse contract coming (though I do love him). It’s Chias Standard Operating Procedure.

I get where your coming from but I do not think the moves made this summer will be RNH or Klefbom for lesser pieces if they are moved at all.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
No but you said he was a meddling owner. This meddling owner has 2 of the very best in Gretzky and Nicholson who are recommending patience and apparently talked him down.

Anyone who has read Gretzky’s book 99 Stories of the Game (a great book) will see he talks about being patient a lot. He has a huge say in what this team does going forward. And it will be a patient, and successful, approach.

This year will be a huge character builder for the players and I believe our coach and management will be given another year.

I'm starting to lose track of what we're arguing about at this point.

I said he's a bad owner who meddles too much

You said he tried to meddle in a way I would have liked, so I'm a hypocrite

I said him trying to do one thing I agree with doesn't make me suddenly think he's a good owner, I can think he's a bad owner despite occasionally making choices I like

I disagree with Gretzky and Nicholson preaching patience yet again, but I agree with you - I can see both coach and GM coming back due to last season's success. In my eyes, unfortunately.

I also don't know how character building it will be to drop back to being a bad team - it certainly didn't result in, say, the Stars suddenly rebounding into outright contenders. And they had a much longer run of being a competitive team before their most recent year of suck. They also have much better management than us to boot.

But hey, I'd be happy to be wrong on this. I want the Oilers to win and win often, like everyone else here.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
McLellan is going to be scapegoated because GMs usually get more than one kick at the can with a head coach. But Chia absolutely is the mastermind behind this disaster of a season.
The coaching staff has completely mismanaged the players this year and refuse to make proper adjustments all year long.

It's both, but it's more coaching for me.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I like Chia's latest moves.

Hopkins has finally been allowed to take Eberle's place in the top six because Strome has emerged as a strong third line center. Kept the better of the two players there.

Aberg is looking like a serviceable winger. He's contributing. Bear looks like a good pick. He turned Maroon in to two prospects (one with real potential).

I don't think they need huge player changes. Sadly I still believe the coaches need to go. Especially the PP one.

Reactions: shoop

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
people who think the Oilers brass of Katz, Lowe and Nicholson would hire someone from outside the organization is fooling themselves and don't know the Oilers...
after Tambo was fired...where did they turn to?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I like Chia's latest moves.

Hopkins has finally been allowed to take Eberle's place in the top six because Strome has emerged as a strong third line center. Kept the better of the two players there.

Aberg is looking like a serviceable winger. He's contributing. Bear looks like a good pick. He turned Maroon in to two prospects (one with real potential).

I don't think they need huge player changes. Sadly I still believe the coaches need to go. Especially the PP one.

Good post.

I know people rag on Chia a lot, but I think for the most part he has done a pretty decent job. The most questionable of his moves was the Lucic signing.

I really hope they can lure Maroon back as a free agent next season, at a reasonable price of course.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
that's what I guessed a little while ago even. I figured Chia and Tmac would basically be safe until midway into next season, just because last season was such a success and we've had some odd issues this season.

However, with this recent speculation, and that Nicholson interview, and the general feeling around the team now, I wonder. It really feels like if they make a change, it won't be minor like that. We tried changing our coaches erassistants before with Eakins. It hardly made a difference, and quite frankly it would feel weird to change Tmac's assistants since they have been a tight group for a long, long time.
It made more sense hoping changing assistants with Eakins would lead to success since his were forced on him when he was hired. Different situation with Mclellan though as his guys have been with him forever and they may all be a package deal. It might be what he needs but he might not be willing to accept it. Katz has no loyalties to either Chiarelli or Mclellan, my take on this if he figures one or both of them is costing him money they’ll be gone. If he doesn’t think that I don’t think he’s interested enough to make changes.

Last edited:

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Good post.

I know people rag on Chia a lot, but I think for the most part he has done a pretty decent job. The most questionable of his moves was the Lucic signing.

I really hope they can lure Maroon back as a free agent next season, at a reasonable price of course.
Uh.. I would contend the fleecing by Snow in return for Reinhart would demonstrate far worse asset management. Lucic only cost cap space and a top 6 spot (which could/should be rectified with better coaching). Chiarelli is ok on smaller moves -- he is absolutely brutal when it comes to trades involving much larger pieces and assets.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Good post.

He has done a piss poor job with asset management and cap management.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Uh.. I would contend the fleecing by Snow in return for Reinhart would demonstrate far worse asset management. Lucic only cost cap space and a top 6 spot (which could/should be rectified with better coaching). Chiarelli is ok on smaller moves -- he is absolutely brutal when it comes to trades involving much larger pieces and assets.

I am liking the Eberle trade. I believe in the long run the Oilers will come out on top.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad