Speculation: Pierre-Luc Dubois Mega thread. (LAK frontrunner, but Montreal has circled back)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
He is well on his way. If he was just a poor asset why would Winnipeg want him then?

Jets will be getting the lesser player in any trade they do with Dubois.

Since Montreal fans are so infatuated with Dubois (see your "IT'S OVER 9,000!" post thread on the Montreal forums), if we don't bring up Dach, there is zero conversation happening with your fan base since you've only thrown unrealistic slop proposals our way.

Some Jets fans don't want Dach. Myself... thinking he would be interesting to explore as a winger. I don't think he'll cut it as a center (and most of his production last year was as a winger btw).

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
This thing will run low on fuel when PLD hits restricted free agency on July 1st. It would be shortsighted for him not to hit it.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Jets will be getting the lesser player in any trade they do with Dubois.

Since Montreal fans are so infatuated with Dubois (see your "IT'S OVER 9,000!" post thread on the Montreal forums), if we don't bring up Dach, there is zero conversation happening with your fan base since you've only thrown unrealistic slop proposals our way.

Some Jets fans don't want Dach. Myself... thinking he would be interesting to explore as a winger. I don't think he'll cut it as a center (and most of his production last year was as a winger btw).
So that close the loop then.

Jets will get Vilardi has their guy and the habs continue their rebuilding and hope their player can reach another level.

Gabouch04

Jun 25, 2023
I think the most we can afford to give with PLD extended is

Dvorak
Pick 31 from Florida
Barron
Beck

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
This thing will run low on fuel when PLD hits restricted free agency on July 1st. It would be shortsighted for him not to hit it.
How? PLD won’t explore the offer sheet option at the risk the chance of Winnipeg matching it, it’s not at all in his interest if he truly won’t sign another contract with the Jets. He either accepts the trade that Chevy has tried to facilitate, or he sits for the year. Chevy holds the cards here and he’s getting his price.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Dvorak
Pick 31 from Florida
Barron
Beck
Could offer Anderson instead of Dvorak, but yes. If LA beats that, then let them have him. I’ll take PLD at a discount if he forces his way to us, but overpaying for him makes zero sense.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
How? PLD won’t explore the offer sheet option at the risk the chance of Winnipeg matching it, it’s not at all in his interest if he truly won’t sign another contract with the Jets. He either accepts the trade that Chevy has tried to facilitate, or he sits for the year. Chevy holds the cards here and he’s getting his price.
He can talk to all the teams as opposed to only ones authorized by Chevy. He can sign a 1 year offer sheet also... Like KK

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg

Dvorak
Pick 31 from Florida
Barron
Beck
I think the reason why Dubois is going to end up in LA is because the Jets don't want futures.

I mean they should be rebuilding because the team will not be winning a stanley cup anytime soon, but they won't be.

Two teams who don't want to rebuild are trading parts for parts.

Andrewcoursol

May 13, 2018
ontario
Flawed. Dubois only recently changed his mind on being open to 5/6 teams on an extension. Prior to that, his message was he wants to be UFA in the summer of 2024.

I was open to both. Trying to trade for him using futures or waiting for the 24 off season. Things have changed over the last month or two so what was said before applies to the context we knew at that point in time.
I would wait 1 more year for PLD, target the rangers and go after lafreniere,cheaper to acquire right now asset wise,also cheaper to sign to a contract.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
So then why this obsession that the Habs need Dubois? If he is the only "good" asset.

The habs with Dubois are not overnight contender. Heck they might even stall with Dubois and stay a bottom 5 team BUT with a bloated contract tied down for 8 years.

LA make WAY more sense then Montreal. They want to push for the cup now and they want a replacement for Kopitar.

Win/Win for them.

For the Habs the ONLY real purpose would be to move a cheaper/younger asset for a french canadian player to please the nationalist fans. Which is stupid.
I never said that the Habs "need" Dubois. That said, part of it makes sense to secure your top 6 center position for years to come with proven performance.

It's fair that you pass and hope you develop someone internally or failing that, trying to secure someone externally. It's more risky... maybe it pays off. It will be fun to monitor.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I never said that the Habs "need" Dubois. That said, part of it makes sense to secure your top 6 center position for years to come with proven performance.

It's fair that you pass and hope you develop someone internally or failing that, trying to secure someone externally. It's more risky... maybe it pays off. It will be fun to monitor.
So fill me in, has there been any updates to this trade? Still LA right?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
And that is exactly what they did with Dach last year. They paid a good price to get him and now it's their job to develop him properly.

Gabouch04

Jun 25, 2023
Could offer Anderson instead of Dvorak, but yes. If LA beats that, then let them have him. I’ll take PLD at a discount if he forces his way to us, but overpaying for him makes zero sense.
This is not a bad offer too. They could use Beck and Barron in their retool, flip Dvorak and trade pick 31. Might be me that's not high on Vilardi but it's beating Vilardi+Iafallo+2nd.

It's probably where our package is more about future and LAK a bit more present, but I don't think Kent Hughes is trolling Winnipeg with some bad offers

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
So that close the loop then.

Jets will get Vilardi has their guy and the habs continue their rebuilding and hope their player can reach another level.
Loop is closed when the trade goes through (if it goes through).

Given that Montreal was thrown around recently as still interested, we can't write that off completely yet.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I don't think an offer sheet comes, but IF one were to be presented, it would be in Winnipegs best interest to take the compensation rather than matching.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
To believe that Montreal was a front runner, or had it in the bag, you have to believe two things; one, that PLD will take the Suzuki / Caulfield deal (7.8) and two, that Hughes will trade his biggest acquisition in Dach, or convince Chevy to take futures.

So your need all 3 parties to move off their starting position to get a deal done. Guys like Friedman saying "it's Montreal" must not follow Montreal, Winnipeg, or the FA market that closely. You don't need to be an insider to understand the fit between MTL, WPG and PLD never made sense save for he is Quebecois. And since when have high profile Quebecers ever really wanted to play in MTL, they fact he is from Quebec is another strike AGAINST the deal.

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
Su
Y'know, the post you were replying to was a joke post.

7d1U.gif
Sure bud, your as triggered as my teenage kids when I tell them there favorite tv show is off Netflix.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
giphy.gif

The biggest complaint from Jets fans is how the org always keeps its cards close to the chest that there's almost no rumours involving the Jets every offseason.

It gets so bad that it has sparked jokes about Chevaldayoff doing all is work from the cottage and not getting cell reception.

Highly doubtful the Jets org would be behind any leak just to get a bidding war. They always act too squeaky clean for something like that.
They leaked it on purpose this time

Reactions: vokiel and pegcity

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Dvorak
Pick 31 from Florida
Barron
Beck

IMO and I certainly don't talk for all Jets fans......that offer would make me think about the Habs. Only really question in my mind is Dvorak vs Anderson, Anderson in a bubble is more valuable then Dvorak (who I think has very little value) but the problem is looking at Anderson contract and especially his term which makes me pause on Anderson. Based on many Habs posts even on your own forum many don't see Dvorak having value and many are concerned about Anderson's contract and especially his term so I don't think anything I've said on either is shocking.

I'm responding to your comment of suggesting:

Anderson
Beck
Barron
FL 1st

I would consider that a pretty strong offer, albeit we're not 100% sure what all the LA deal looks like at this stage so hard to compare directly. To the Hab fan who is thinking of quoting me saying the Habs would never give up that much, I never said they would and it wasn't my offer or demand I'm just responding to another Hab fans offer so don't get mad at me.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't think an offer sheet comes, but IF one were to be presented, it would be in Winnipegs best interest to take the compensation rather than matching.
PLD is not a charitable player, he is not taking a pay cut this year just to spite the Jets, and anything low enough will be matched and PLD will remain in Winnipeg. He wants a huge contract immediately, which is why he’s not waiting for UFA next year. If you want to offer sheet far beyond his QO (which is the absolute floor) and give up a 1st+ in compensation, by all means, offer away. Teams other than Vegas don’t mess with Chevy, nobody is going to send a lame offer sheet just to spite him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad