Phoenix CXXXIII: Colonel Shuffle's Last 'Ownership' Hill To Die On

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I actually think that, if Arizona gets a new arena, that the NHL brass would rather leave ARZ and VGK both in the Pacific, and move Colorado there, and place Seattle there.

And, move Alberta to the Central.

That emphasizes Van vs. Sea, which is what they need to do.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I know it was directed at llama but i see the nhl wanting az and lv in same division. I think theres a rivalry they want to build up there myself.

If Seattle gets a team, and assuming no other team moves before they get their team, then the only solution to balance the divisions is to move a team from the Pacific division to the Central.

So who is NOT going to move:

Vancouver
Seattle
San Jose
Anaheim
Los Angeles

That leaves:

Vegas
Arizona
Calgary
Edmonton

I can't see the NHL splitting up Edmonton and Calgary and having one of them move to the Central. Vegas will probably stay in the Pacific... so that leaves Arizona as being the team to move to the Central ( and it has nothing to do with conspiracies, it just makes sense )

Now, there is another way, but probably very unlikely. You could move Colorado to the Pacific division, and then move both Arizona and Vegas to the Central division ( to keep those two teams together ), but I doubt this would happen.

So Arizona it is. Welcome to Central Division Hell boys....

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
If Seattle gets a team, and assuming no other team moves before they get their team, then the only solution to balance the divisions is to move a team from the Pacific division to the Central.

Vancouver
Seattle
San Jose
Anaheim
Los Angeles

That leaves:

Vegas
Arizona
Calgary
Edmonton

I can't see the NHL splitting up Edmonton and Calgary and having one of them move to the Central. Vegas will probably stay in the Pacific... so that leaves Arizona as being the team to move to the Central ( and it has nothing to do with conspiracies, it just makes sense )

Now, there is another way, but probably very unlikely. You could move Colorado to the Pacific division, and then move both Arizona and Vegas to the Central division ( to keep those two teams together ), but I doubt this would happen.

They'll probably turn into a great team as soon as they move :rant: seriously, eff this division.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Vancouver
Seattle
San Jose
Anaheim
Los Angeles

That leaves:

Vegas
Arizona
Calgary
Edmonton

How would that make more sense than moving Colorado and moving Edmonton and Calgary to central? Vegas is in the Pacific time zone. Arizona is in mountain part of the season and pacific equivalent part of the season. Edmonton and Calgary are mountain time zone teams. For time zone reasons it would actually make the most sense for the Central to span only two time zones, rather than 3. There are ample teams to make that happen.

Reactions: Stumbledore

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
How would that make more sense than moving Colorado and moving Edmonton and Calgary to central? Vegas is in the Pacific time zone. Arizona is in mountain part of the season and pacific equivalent part of the season. Edmonton and Calgary are mountain time zone teams. For time zone reasons it would actually make the most sense for the Central to span only two time zones, rather than 3. There are ample teams to make that happen.

That's another option, but like my suggestion being unlikely, I don't see it happening. Instead of a 3 team shuffle, I think the NHL will want to keep it simple and just move one team. And if it is only going to be one team, my guess is Arizona to the Central.

Reactions: Llama19

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The fact that you have only been around since December (admittedly) renders you without portfolio. The history of this franchise, and for that matter this thread, has history that you obviously are unaware of. For you to blindly suggest that an EV arena is a "done deal" is reckless and incredibly naive? Perhaps you could tell all of us who is going to pay for and own such a structure? Once you have accomplished that , and backed your prognostication up with some real facts, then we can have a discussion. To come in at the 11th hour and tell us all about an impending arena in 3-5 years without any real information about how such an arena is going to be built, much less financed is a little too altruistic for my blood?

Bookie21 has as much if not more of a chance of being correct with his opinion as yours and the other naysayers on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
Bookie21 has as much if not more of a chance of being correct with his opinion as yours and the other naysayers on this forum.
I said I was leaving this thread as I was attacked for not knowing any of the backstory, you know being a new site member and all lol. Just wanted to pop in and say Thanks. I was just trying to add a fresh perspective as I spend time in Scottsdale, and try to make a few games a year. Just seems like the same old rhetoric in here.....Coyotes are broke and leaving town over and over

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I said I was leaving this thread as I was attacked for not knowing any of the backstory, you know being a new site member and all lol. Just wanted to pop in and say Thanks. I was just trying to add a fresh perspective as I spend time in Scottsdale, and try to make a few games a year. Just seems like the same old rhetoric in here.....Coyotes are broke and leaving town over and over

.... well.... your opinion is just as valid as anyone elses here Bookie21.... the vast majority of posters welcoming new perspectives of what is frankly a pretty tired story, and thats something I think we can all agree on. A story which is unique, unusual, downright bizarre on so many levels, the lengths to which the League, the COG & others have gone truly incredible.... your as equally entitled to your opinion as anyone else here, to speak freely without fear of attack, your rights protected to do so provided of course what is posted objective & reasoned, I've always seen that in your postings, and if a few disagree thats ok. I'd like to apologize if you feel you were personally attacked rather than having the content of your post attacked, and should you decide, which I hope you will to continue to post, have some fun, to let you know that my doors always open, PM me as everyone else can if a problem, or, Report posts that you feel are crossing lines that shouldnt be crossed. ;)

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
.... well.... your opinion is just as valid as anyone elses here Bookie21.... the vast majority of posters welcoming new perspectives of what is frankly a pretty tired story, and thats something I think we can all agree on. A story which is unique, unusual, downright bizarre on so many levels, the lengths to which the League, the COG & others have gone truly incredible.... your as equally entitled to your opinion as anyone else here, to speak freely without fear of attack, your rights protected to do so provided of course what is posted objective & reasoned, I've always seen that in your postings, and if a few disagree thats ok. I'd like to apologize if you feel you were personally attacked rather than having the content of your post attacked, and should you decide, which I hope you will to continue to post, have some fun, to let you know that my doors always open, PM me as everyone else can if a problem, or, Report posts that you feel are crossing lines that shouldnt be crossed. ;)
It's all good Killion, no harm no foul. I'll pop in here if I have any NEW news, or hear any rumblings from my contacts in Scottsdale, otherwise I can't handle the daily grind in here lol, as there hasn't been much of anything happening in the last year since AB took over.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Marissa O'Connor seems to be doing a good job of it with the Coyotes. Good for her. :thumbu:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
^^^ Marissa O'Connor seems to be doing a good job of it with the Coyotes. Good for her. :thumbu:

Yes she does. Not exactly sure what the Coyotes social media director attending a conference has to do with anything ever discussed here???

:huh:

Unless that’s his response to my question about where the Coyotes should be placed if there’s a realignment.

;)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yes she does. Not exactly sure what the Coyotes social media director attending a conference has to do with anything ever discussed here???

:huh:

Unless that’s his response to my question about where the Coyotes should be placed if there’s a realignment.

;)

... why, yes, yes that must be the answer.... where you were being directed, the answer is.... ask Marissa... she'll know whats best..... I mean, have you seen her teeth?.... perfect..... Clearly knows everything about alignments & realignments, keeping things all sunshiny bright & white, crystal clear, straight, minimum of fuss, hustle bustle..... Wonder... d'yknow if she's related to Donald O'Connor?.... Francis the Talking Mule fame?... Of course, he was much more than just that movie franchise. Triple threat. Singer, Dancer, Actor.... Opposite Gene Kelly in Singin in the Rain.... member?... Clockwork Orange wasnt it?.... Beat the Hell out of that old man... real Bastid.... could play it mean could Donald....

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
... why, yes, yes that must be the answer.... where you were being directed, the answer is.... ask Marissa... she'll know whats best..... I mean, have you seen her teeth?.... perfect..... Clearly knows everything about alignments & realignments, keeping things all sunshiny bright & white, crystal clear, straight, minimum of fuss, hustle bustle..... Wonder... d'yknow if she's related to Donald O'Connor?.... Francis the Talking Mule fame?... Of course, he was much more than just that movie franchise. Triple threat. Singer, Dancer, Actor.... Opposite Gene Kelly in Singin in the Rain.... member?... Clockwork Orange wasnt it?.... Beat the Hell out of that old man... real Bastid.... could play it mean could Donald....

I dunno K..... but you a Dead Head??? :lol:

Reactions: Killion

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I can’t think of a bigger disaster than this Arizona mess. Bettman is in love with the area and is determined to make it stay there. I would love to know how much money the NHL has lost in this fiasco. Must be millions. Big ass failure on his part.

the NHL has lost very little since they only "owned" it for a few years. And since we are talking about a league that generates revenues in the billions of dollars, these losses are very minimal. It would be akin to having McDonalds corporate office float a losing franchise location for a few years until a new owner could be found. Plus, it wasn't like the league took all the risk either. The city of Glendale subsidized the team during this period, so again, losses to the league were minimal. Point is, Phoenix offers a lot in terms of negotiating a new US TV deal than say Saskatoon. Those are just the realities of pro sports today. This is why you don't have an NFL franchise in Tuscaloosa, AL regardless of how many national titles 'Bama wins.....the league isn't sweating this at all......

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
the NHL has lost very little since they only "owned" it for a few years. And since we are talking about a league that generates revenues in the billions of dollars, these losses are very minimal. It would be akin to having McDonalds corporate office float a losing franchise location for a few years until a new owner could be found. Plus, it wasn't like the league took all the risk either. The city of Glendale subsidized the team during this period, so again, losses to the league were minimal. Point is, Phoenix offers a lot in terms of negotiating a new US TV deal than say Saskatoon. Those are just the realities of pro sports today. This is why you don't have an NFL franchise in Tuscaloosa, AL regardless of how many national titles 'Bama wins.....the league isn't sweating this at all......

A league with $4 billion of revenue floating one franchise of 30 is akin to a corporation with $23 billion revenue floating one franchise out of 40,000? There's nothing remotely similar about the two.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

I would be careful making that claim. During the last US TV negotiations it came up re: the Coyotes moving or not and it seemed to the TV execs at the time that having the Coyotes or not having the Coyotes existing in Phoenix made no difference to the negotiations. Negotiating a national TV deal where the team ( Coyotes ) are lucky to be televised even once isn't going to sway anyone or make the deal richer.

The current deal came out with NBC in 2011 and was a 10 year deal worth $2 Billion. How many of those dollars came about because of the Coyotes?
So sure, Saskatoon has zero affect on a national US TV deal. I would claim that the Coyotes also have zero affect.

Coyotes TV schedule:

TV Schedule | Arizona Coyotes

They appeared on NBC once this season and that was the Vegas home opener which everyone showed. Vegas on the other hand is on national TV 5 times.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I dunno K..... but you a Dead Head??? :lol:

.... :laugh: nope, fraid not, nor have I ever owned a VW split window van or Westphalia.... Rat Rod Caddy with a Deadhead logo airbrushed on the hood, doors.... enjoy the odd GD track... but no, generally not my scene..... great Promo though... Love it!.... Finally some real creativity going on in that regard. Good job.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
.... :laugh: nope, fraid not, nor have I ever owned a VW split window van or Westphalia.... Rat Rod Caddy with a Deadhead logo airbrushed on the hood, doors.... enjoy the odd GD track... but no, generally not my scene..... great Promo though... Love it!.... Finally some real creativity going on in that regard. Good job.

Might have been/be more effective if it was not the next to the last home game of the season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad