Phoenix CXXXIII: Colonel Shuffle's Last 'Ownership' Hill To Die On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ

Colonel Shuffle (a Looney Tunes Character) represents the Southern market stance that Commissioner Gary Bettman, et. al., have taken in Phoenix...er Glendale...er...now, somewhere else in Arizona.

The NHL is defending that Last Hill, since planting their "must have a new arena location to succeed" flag back in March 2017.

Below is some historical perspective:

1) "For the past 15 years, a succession of ownership groups and the League have tried everything imaginable to make the Glendale location financially sustainable," the [Commissioner Bettman's] letter continues. "Our combined efforts all have yielded the same result — a consistent economic loss.

"The simple truth? The Coyotes must have a new arena location to succeed," Bettman wrote. "The Coyotes cannot and will not remain in Glendale."

The Coyotes can’t be kept "in financial and marketing limbo" and need a resolution to the arena issue, Bettman wrote.

"The NHL first needs to make the case for a state-funded arena to the taxpayers," [House Speaker J.D.] Mesnard said in a statement. "We’re not seeing a lot of enthusiasm that the public wants to foot the bill for a new arena, and until the NHL can win over taxpayers, they’re going to have a tough sell at the Legislature."

Editor's Note: Where are/were the efforts to win over taxpayers when the arena bill was introduced in 2017?

---

2) Mr. Bettman saw a tremendous future for Coyotes hockey in Glendale BEFORE the City of Glendale and its taxpayers committed $200 million to absorb the initial cost of arena construction and full cost of infrastructure construction in 2002.

At that time, Bettman said of the arena “This is a great place for hockey, and we’re thrilled to be here.”

After I [Elaine Scruggs] retired as Mayor in January of 2013, Anthony LeBlanc emerged with yet another NHL-endorsed ownership group, Ice Arizona. At that time, Bettman said, “With ownership committed to making the franchise a success, with an opportunity for businesses and fans to know that there is no uncertainty, we think this franchise can do very, very well.”

Little did anyone know that the annual “management fee” Glendale gave this ownership group to operate the arena was instead transferred directly to the lenders from whom LeBlanc and partners had borrowed the money to buy the franchise.

---

3) “The most important thing is to find a long-term home for the Coyotes in Arizona,” [Owner Andrew] Barroway said. “We couldn’t be any more committed to Arizona and the Valley, and the biggest project at hand is to find a home in the right place for the Coyotes in Arizona.”

“Let’s put this to bed: We’re not relocating,” Barroway said.

"It will get done because it has to get done," Barroway said. "Failure is not an option here. We're going to get a new stadium in Arizona, where it should have been located to begin with."

Editor's Note: There was no attempt at another arena bill in the 2018 legislative session. Some speculate, since no other taxpayer funded attempt was made, there could be a Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community joint venture.

---

1) www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gary-bettman-coyotes-must-new-arena-location-succeed/

2) archive.azcentral.com/persistent/icimages/politics/Scruggs_Letter03092017.pdf

3) www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nhl/coyotes/2017/07/14/andrew-barroway-reaffirms-commitment-keeping-coyotes-arizona/478144001/

Last edited:

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
The BOG will likely keep them in place at least until negotiations for the next US broadcast deal are complete. AB has a few years at least to keep looking for an east valley arena. In the meantime, it'll be status quo for the next 2-3 years

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
The BOG will likely keep them in place at least until negotiations for the next US broadcast deal are complete. AB has a few years at least to keep looking for an east valley arena. In the meantime, it'll be status quo for the next 2-3 years

In your mind, what connection does the Phoenix market have with the broadcast contract? I'm not arguing. I'm asking. It may be that your answer is as simple as 'they want to see what the contract is before they decide' and I could accept that, too. Like I said, just wanting your thinking here.

Thanks.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Regarding the next US TV contract, it was up for renewal when Atlanta moved to Winnipeg and the Coyotes nearly had to move there before the 2nd 'insurance' policy was approved by Glendale.

Even with this flux in 2 big US markets, the league got at the time the most lucrative TV contract states-side. Even Bill Daly said the Atalanta move had no impact.

For this reason I don't believe the next US TV deal will be a factor in what happens in Arizona.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
In your mind, what connection does the Phoenix market have with the broadcast contract? I'm not arguing. I'm asking. It may be that your answer is as simple as 'they want to see what the contract is before they decide' and I could accept that, too. Like I said, just wanting your thinking here.

Thanks.
Two reasons.
1. BOG = Phoenix is a large market and will help in the negotiations. Ratings aren' great the the Phoenix metro for hockey, but that doesn't really matter in these negotiations. It' all about footprint and Market size. (Why do you think Seattle is being rushed in? Right before negotiations will start? Answer:coverage of the Pacific northwest)
2. Coyotes ownership waiting to see how lucrative this new deal will be. If it's no good, Maybe they try relocation then.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Colonel Shuffle (a Looney Tunes Character) represents the Southern market stance that Commissioner Gary Bettman, et. al., have taken in Phoenix...er Glendale...er...now, somewhere else in Arizona.

Nice job with the thread start, synopsis of where things sit...... I think were well past the "Southern market stance" though. That is sooooo yesterday Man. "Sunbelt Experiment". No such thing ever existed. Not an "experiment". Just natural growth & I for one support it. The League wanted to expand & with domestic migration to California, the Southwest & Florida, teams Relocated (Minnesota & Winnipeg 01); Expansion to Tampa & Miami, Atlanta & Nashville, Anaheim.

Unfortunately, intransigent ownership & the League's braintrust have screwed up in numerous markets... shamefully lost the colors & ground in Atlanta.... Arizona hanging on by its fingernails.... Heres hoping that by the end of this thread at least some clarity & resolution is forthcoming because whats been going down aint working for anyone on all the levels that it should be. Engines just idling, coughing & spitting along on one cylinder. The fans, the market deserves better. A lot more than this.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Nice job with the thread start, synopsis of where things sit...... I think were well past the "Southern market stance" though. That is sooooo yesterday Man. "Sunbelt Experiment". No such thing ever existed. Not an "experiment". Just natural growth & I for one support it. The League wanted to expand & with domestic migration to California, the Southwest & Florida, teams Relocated (Minnesota & Winnipeg 01); Expansion to Tampa & Miami, Atlanta & Nashville, Anaheim.

Unfortunately, intransigent ownership & the League's braintrust have screwed up in numerous markets... shamefully lost the colors & ground in Atlanta.... Arizona hanging on by its fingernails.... Heres hoping that by the end of this thread at least some clarity & resolution is forthcoming because whats been going down aint working for anyone on all the levels that it should be. Engines just idling, coughing & spitting along on one cylinder. The fans, the market deserves better. A lot more than this.

Why? The fans and the market have been speaking for over 20 yrs......it seems no one is listening.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Why? The fans and the market have been speaking for over 20 yrs......it seems no one is listening.

.... theyve never had decent ownership, not much of a fighting chance and when they did receive the massive leg up's, the league and ownership took advantage of it, blew it. Still blowing it. The damage done monumental. Epic. It may be too late. I'm a half glass full kinda guy but even I'm getting to the point of believing there is no return, no chance of a resurrection. Its going to take a miracle and I'm just not seeing it anymore. That club needs new, seriously monied ownership. What a new owner doesnt need is a new arena & the incumbent debt that will create on top of what he'd have to spend on talent, marketing & promotion, advertising & media etc etc etc. Such a person or group, experienced, invested in the community... they just dont exist or if they do where have they been, where are they now? Lookin pretty bleak.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Two reasons.
1. BOG = Phoenix is a large market and will help in the negotiations. Ratings aren' great the the Phoenix metro for hockey, but that doesn't really matter in these negotiations. It' all about footprint and Market size. (Why do you think Seattle is being rushed in? Right before negotiations will start? Answer:coverage of the Pacific northwest)
2. Coyotes ownership waiting to see how lucrative this new deal will be. If it's no good, Maybe they try relocation then.

Thanks for the reply. You would know that several here see things differently. But, even so, thanks for your input. We need every reasoned voice we can get here.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Coyotes owner Andrew Barroway in discussions with potential investors

To quote:

"Coyotes chairman and governor Andrew Barroway is exploring potential partnerships for his ownership of the franchise, and he is engaged in discussions with a handful of significant investors, a league source told Arizona Sports.

It’s unclear and undetermined what role or share the unidentified investors would have in a new ownership structure and there is no timeline on any potential changes to that structure."

Source: arizonasports.com/story/1457604/coyotes-owner-andrew-barroway-discussions-potential-investors/

220px-Pep%C3%A9_Le_Pew.svg.png

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Huh. Curiouser & curiouser. No question the guy needs capital, and plenty of it.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Well there's no question that this franchise needs a new infusion of cash.

If there's a realistic plan on getting a new arena and it's an absolute must IMO. Soon we'll have a good handle on who's interested and if a new arena is the cart or the horse.

Edit: Why is the Saturday afternoon timing of interest?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
^^^ Huh. Curiouser & curiouser. No question the guy needs capital, and plenty of it.

Bettman appearantly isn’t worried. From the same article.....

Since Barroway took over, the Coyotes have been largely silent, by design, on plans for a new arena, but NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has repeatedly said that keeping the team in Arizona remains his focus and he still believes the team is working toward an arena solution.

Bettman said previously that the Coyotes cannot and will not remain at Gila River Arena in Glendale.

“My hope and expectation is that things can be worked out in Arizona, and we’re going to continue to focus on it that way,” Bettman said at the NHL All-Star Skills Competition in Tampa Bay, Florida in January.

“My only point is I wouldn’t focus on Arizona moving right now or any time soon, or maybe ever, so we’re not misconstrued here.”

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Well there's no question that this franchise needs a new infusion of cash.

If there's a realistic plan on getting a new arena and it's an absolute must IMO. Soon we'll have a good handle on who's interested and if a new arena is the cart or the horse.

Edit: Why is the Saturday afternoon timing of interest?

Friday's are usually for bad news days...
Saturday's are slow, under the radar type days...
where not much traction actually happens...
but we shall see...

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Friday's are usually for bad news days...
Saturday's are slow, under the radar type days...
where not much traction actually happens...
but we shall see...

True time will tell. Not the first time Mr. Barroway has been looking for new investors.

Since we're early in this new thread.. perhaps the title can be changed to 'ownership' shuffle last hill....to die on :)

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Why doesn't he just ask the people he bought out last year if they want back in?

Edit: This could be spun in a way to demonstrate how this franchise is viable because people are willing to invest. Then next year he could buy them out and it will show how AB is financially secure enough to have the capital to do this. Then the year after that......

Endless positive spi......I mean news!

Last edited:
Reactions: Thrive and Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Yes, or perhaps, and hard not to be cynical.... merely an "advertorial" to try & spur on,
sell some more tickets for the remaining home games, Seasons Tickets renewals for next year.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Coyotes owner Andrew Barroway in discussions with potential investors

To quote:

"Coyotes chairman and governor Andrew Barroway is exploring potential partnerships for his ownership of the franchise, and he is engaged in discussions with a handful of significant investors, a league source told Arizona Sports.

It’s unclear and undetermined what role or share the unidentified investors would have in a new ownership structure and there is no timeline on any potential changes to that structure."

Source: arizonasports.com/story/1457604/coyotes-owner-andrew-barroway-discussions-potential-investors/

220px-Pep%C3%A9_Le_Pew.svg.png

If Barroway is looking for investors then maybe, just maybe, that hints at the idea that the NHL doesn't want to perpetually pay for this franchise's losses, as some have theorized, and Bettman has nudged him to find some other help?

And as far as...

"NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has repeatedly said that keeping the team in Arizona remains his focus and he still believes the team is working toward an arena solution."

He believes they are? He's not sure?

Reactions: Thrive

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
You implying Morgan’s doing another PSA for the franchise??

Would not be the first time he has towed the party line.

I found Bettman's quote that you posted interesting.
"My only point is i wouldn't focus on Arizona moving right now or any time soon or maybe ever..."

A typical Bettman statement "any time soon"..what does the mean? I am having my supper any time soon, so I guess they will not be moving before I have my supper. Seriously that is too vague of a statement to mean much. I do hope that it provides comfort to the fan base though.
And then in the same statement he adds that the team "maybe" won't have to move. "Maybe" is such a comforting word for a fanbase seeking reassurance:nod:

I don't believe that the idea that Borrowaway is looking for investors is anything new. IIRC, he has been looking for outside cash since just before he bought out IA, so far so good..

Reactions: Thrive and Llama19

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
If Barroway is looking for investors then maybe, just maybe, that hints at the idea that the NHL doesn't want to perpetually pay for this franchise's losses, as some have theorized, and Bettman has nudged him to find some other help?

And as far as...

"NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has repeatedly said that keeping the team in Arizona remains his focus and he still believes the team is working toward an arena solution."

He believes they are? He's not sure?

Oh ya, I'm pretty sure the search for additional investors or that one Giant Whale of a majority owner continues & has in fact been going on since 2009. What weve seen including Andrew Barroway merely placeholders. A cooperative effort, both the League & AB beating the bushes.... That comment "he still believes the team is working toward an arena solution" & your questioning of it, yes, raises a big red flag. Basic Bettmanesque. CYA. Obfuscates. Cant be nailed for lying as "he believes", been led to believe when in fact he's no doubt well aware of the fact that absent the capture of some investors or a Moby Dick theres no way thats happening & so far, no sign of any spouts in the barren horizons of some very rough seas. He, Daly, Barroway & Patterson, whomever around the NHL might well be having conversations with potential investors however its pretty clear no ones biting otherwise it'd be done. That whatever interest there is probably starts & stops with Relocation, the ability to move the team. An "arena solution"? More Bettmanesque. That could be out of state.... So, is he lying? Ever gets called on it, I can hear him now.... "you werent listening to me; I told you they were looking for an arena solution however they had to re-focus their attention &... they found one..... the Toyota Center......... in Houston".

Last edited:
Reactions: Thrive and Fairview
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad